IGNORED

Chelsea up for sale?

exAtyeoMax

The speed of this move strikes me that Roman is looking to convert his substantial shareholding in the club into ready cash or other collateral. Then he might be able to get out of town. If so, where and what is his next move?

Of course, we can only speculate whether he is a Putin associate or is turned against him. Either way, a Russian oligarch with that sort of money is likely to attract the attentions of various agents and shadowy figures. He will be used to looking over his shoulder, but it'll be worse now.

Part of me wants the British government to stop the laundry, but perhaps the most effective method will be to stop him selling up - that'll keep his money locked into the system in this country.

Anyway, the game goes on...

4 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

The speed of this move strikes me that Roman is looking to convert his substantial shareholding in the club into ready cash or other collateral. Then he might be able to get out of town. If so, where and what is his next move?

Of course, we can only speculate whether he is a Putin associate or is turned against him. Either way, a Russian oligarch with that sort of money is likely to attract the attentions of various agents and shadowy figures. He will be used to looking over his shoulder, but it'll be worse now.

Part of me wants the British government to stop the laundry, but perhaps the most effective method will be to stop him selling up - that'll keep his money locked into the system in this country.

Anyway, the game goes on...

I would hazard a guess he still fully supports Putin.  He’s just trying to get as much of his “dirty” money out as possible.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would hazard a guess he still fully supports Putin.  He’s just trying to get as much of his “dirty” money out as possible.

Indeed, and if he is still close to Putin then the very fact that he is selling fast probably means that we are in for a long haul over Ukraine (and maybe even other places). 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Abrahmovic played a key role in supporting Putin, and helping him get into power, at the start of the century. Back then Putin needed the financial support of the oligarchs.

That has now changed as Putin has increased his power, and own personal wealth, so much. The oligarchy is now subservient to Putin. This is why you see so few of them speaking out against the regime, or certainly not directly criticise him. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Abrahmovic played a key role in supporting Putin, and helping him get into power, at the start of the century. Back then Putin needed the financial support of the oligarchs.

That has now changed as Putin has increased his power, and own personal wealth, so much. The oligarchy is now subservient to Putin. This is why you see so few of them speaking out against the regime, or certainly not directly criticise him. 

Interested how a quick sale can be completed , don’t we have a fit and proper test for ownership ?

23 minutes ago, daored said:

Interested how a quick sale can be completed , don’t we have a fit and proper test for ownership ?

Technically a sale of the shares that Abramovich owns could be done in a day. If he is willing to just give indemnities everywhere, and the buyer is happy to take limited warranties, this could be done tonight.

But as you say there are some 3rd party implications such as owners tests and the like. I suspect that can be fats tracked, but still needs to be done properly. 

Normally something like this would take a few months.

28 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Technically a sale of the shares that Abramovich owns could be done in a day. If he is willing to just give indemnities everywhere, and the buyer is happy to take limited warranties, this could be done tonight.

But as you say there are some 3rd party implications such as owners tests and the like. I suspect that can be fats tracked, but still needs to be done properly. 

Normally something like this would take a few months.

So, in effect, you are saying you think Mike Ashley is going to buy Chelsea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tin foil hat time, do we really want to be a country that takes assets off of people because of media hype?

The reason I say media hype is there seems to be a lot of talk about RA but what about everyone else that's made serious amounts of dodgy money (in another country) out of being closely linked to VP.

Or is it anyone that's from a country that starts a war?

Or is it anyone our government don't currently like while they search for popular policies?

Are people that work for RA safe from the government seizing there assets? they've done well off of the dodgy money

All I'm really asking is what are the rules as you all see them?

Also what are the checks and balances because it's sounds somewhat mob rule /despotic to me at the moment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Hasn’t he said he’ll be donating the proceeds of the sale to victims of the war in Ukraine?

The cynic in me thinks that can be read in two different ways. 

Me too, I think it's cleverly worded but maybe I'm just very cynical... victims of course could be Russian conscripts, or the Russian speaking regions that supposedly needed liberating etc etc or even the poor old sanctioned oligarchs, multiple ways you can read that 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Tin foil time, do we really want to be that takes assets off of people because of hype?

The reason I say hype is there seems to be a lot of talk about RA but what about everyone else that's made serious amounts of dodgy (in another country) out of being linked to VP.

Or is it anyone that's from that starts ?

Or is it anyone our don't currently like while they search for popular ?

Are people that work for RA safe from seizing there assets? they've done well off of the dodgy money

Also what are the checks and balances because it's sounds somewhat mob rule /despotic to me at the moment.

Media hype? Yes the war, illegitimate invasion, bombing of civilians, posts form Russian soldiers on instagram talking about how they want to genocide ukrainians (obviously doesn't mean it's official policy but still) (and I know that quite the claim and I can post an instagram account but unless you speak Russian it won't do you any good re: corroboration), shooting down civilians, using thermobaric missiles, using cluster bombs, the death squads sent for zelensky, this is of course all just media hype

Never mind the fact that others have actually been sanctioned, Abramovich has been conspicuously missing from the list, so don't worry its not just RA, the fuss is around RA because he's missing from a list that already exists.

Obviously the existing govt don't care that London has been used by some as their personal laundrette for their cash otherwise something would have been done much much sooner, nevermind the donations from some of those now sanctioned to the conservative party, but now they 'have' to so to speak. There's a new bill coming in on the subject I believe so I suppose if you want to know what the rules are on the topic then, once that has passed read that statute.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, underover said:

Media hype? Yes the war, illegitimate invasion, bombing of civilians, posts form Russian soldiers on instagram talking about how they want to genocide ukrainians (obviously doesn't mean it's official policy but still) (and I know that quite the claim and I can post an instagram account but unless you speak Russian it won't do you any good re: corroboration), shooting down civilians, using thermobaric missiles, using cluster bombs, the death squads sent for zelensky, this is of course all just media hype

Never mind the fact that others have actually been sanctioned, Abramovich has been conspicuously missing from the list, so don't worry its not just RA, the fuss is around RA because he's missing from a list that already exists.

Obviously the existing govt don't care that London has been used by some as their personal laundrette for their cash otherwise something would have been done much much sooner, nevermind the donations from some of those now sanctioned to the conservative party, but now they 'have' to so to speak. There's a new bill coming in on the subject I believe so I suppose if you want to know what the rules are on the topic then, once that has passed read that statute.  

I thought I was quiet clear, I was not talking about the media coverage of the war being hyped!

RA seems to be getting sanctions imposed through social pressure and politicians wanting to score points rather than anything to do with a due process and evidence, as soon as there is evidence that he is involved then it makes sense.

Don't get me wrong he almost certainly has it coming to him but what are the rules so we can all make sure we don't fall foul of them?

6 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

I can’t believe that people think Abramovic is some sort of saint. I would venture as far as to say that virtually ALL Russians who are mutual-billionaires with money since Putin came to power, needed London to do their laundry for them.

Quite a lot before too, in the Yeltsin era- check when Abramovich started making his fortune and a lot of other oligarchs- clue it wasn't 2000.

Indeed oligarch excesses was a reason why Putin came to power- not the sole reason but it played a role.

• Like 1

At the risk of taking it a tad off topic...

https://theconversation.com/the-wild-decade-how-the-1990s-laid-the-foundations-for-vladimir-putins-russia-141098

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semibankirschina

https://www.rferl.org/a/1061761.html

Loans for Shares is also quite interesting- Yeltsin era again. Berezovsky is mentioned, unsure about Abramovich.

https://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1128/p01s03-woeu.html

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Should count his blessings.  Not all of the (wealthy) people who put Putin in power are still alive!

10 hours ago, TomF said:

Bloody autocorrect 

Don't worry Tom the BBC caption got it wrong too.

Going back to RA, I must admit my first reaction when I saw that he wanted any profit to go to the Ukraine through charities, was that this was a sign of disaffection with the war and Putin. My thought was that it was as close as he could get to a rebellion of sorts. 

I understand the alternative perhaps more cynical narrative on this thread, but these situations are never black and white.

Edited by Port Said Red

7 hours ago, Pezo said:

Tin foil hat time, do we really want to be a country that takes assets off of people because of media hype?

The reason I say media hype is there seems to be a lot of talk about RA but what about everyone else that's made serious amounts of dodgy money (in another country) out of being closely linked to VP.

Or is it anyone that's from a country that starts a war?

Or is it anyone our government don't currently like while they search for popular policies?

Are people that work for RA safe from the government seizing there assets? they've done well off of the dodgy money

It isn't media hype, he is well connect and has a well documented history of being extremely close to putin who is in the process of another illegal invasion,

I'm all for stripping asset from people who have ties to evil people

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

It isn't media hype, he is well connect and has a well documented history of being extremely close to putin who is in the process of another illegal invasion,

I think some of the thinking is that these powerful Billionaires , and there are many around the World, might hold some sway with Putin. If that's true, then freezing assets and making life uncomfortable might give them encouragement to 'get in his ear'.  
While Russia can probably survive on it's own, having 94% lost from the Banks value and 97% from the oil Co. will hit important people hard. 
Any pressure at this point can only help.

That the Gov is giving them 8 months to sort things out is pathetic, and whatever your leanings, you must surely think that £2million in Party donations have had an impact on that decision. 

28 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

There is media hype and a spotlight around RA that isn't around others that have done well from links to VP, i can't be only person seeing story after story containing his name.

If you're all for stripping assets from people who have ties to evil people then what does that mean? The example right now makes sense but what's the precedent that doesn't turn us to potential tyranny? Can you give some more examples, should Tony Blaire be stripped of his assets for links to Gadaffi? Was Tony Blaire evil, I've certainly heard him described that way, as he has links to everyone in the labour party should we be asset stripping the lot of them - because that's a road to tyranny!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pezo said:

There is media hype and a spotlight around RA that isn't around others that have done well from links to VP, i can't be only person seeing story after story containing his name.

If you're all for stripping assets from people who have ties to evil people then what does that mean? The example right now makes sense but what's the precedent that doesn't turn us to potential tyranny? Can you give some more examples, should Tony Blaire be stripped of his assets for links to Gadaffi? Was Tony Blaire evil, I've certainly heard him described that way, as he has links to everyone in the labour party should we be asset stripping the lot of them - because that's a road to tyranny!

Because the others have already had sanctions,

There was a list and RA was missing from that, hence the hype

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Because the others have already had sanctions,

There was a list and RA was missing from that, hence the hype

Maybe this is my challenge with the whole thing, I'm not sure what the justification is for being on the list. Is it anyone that's had business dealings with VP or the Kremlin in the last 20 years? is it just Russians?

Some have had sanctions but not all sanctions for anyone with links in the last 20 years would probably be in the hundreds of thousands of people. RA distanced himself from VP quiet a while ago if I remember correctly, part of owning Chelsea was that it gave him a social profile that meant VP couldn't easily kill him without ramifications.

What I see happening is everyone knows RA because of his ownership of Chelsea so they focus in on him but what about people like Gerhard Schroeder, are we siezing his assets? for those that don't know he is a German politician and ex chancellor who has done extremely well out of being right at the centre of nordstream 2 now has a seat on the board of Gazprom and has in the last 5 years been on holiday with VP. Are we going to go after the assets of German politicians, that's going to cause some problems!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Maybe this is my challenge with the whole thing, I'm not sure what the justification is for being on the list. Is it anyone that's had business dealings with VP or the Kremlin in the last 20 years? is it just Russians?

Some have had sanctions but not all sanctions for anyone with links in the last 20 years would probably be in the hundreds of thousands of people. RA distanced himself from VP quiet a while ago if I remember correctly, part of owning Chelsea was that it gave him a social profile that meant VP couldn't easily kill him without ramifications.

What I see happening is everyone knows RA because of his ownership of Chelsea so they focus in on him but what about people like Gerhard Schroeder, are we siezing his assets? for those that don't know he is a German politician and ex chancellor who has done extremely well out of being right at the centre of nordstream 2 now has a seat on the board of Gazprom and has in the last 5 years been on holiday with VP. Are we going to go after the assets of German politicians, that's going to cause some problems!

I think it's down to how much you donate to the tory party

Just now, Monkeh said:

I think it's down to how much you donate to the tory party

If the Russians aren't all over both mainstream political parties in one way or another I will be very surprised. Politicians are always looking for money to fund there next great campaign and why would the Russians risk picking a team when they can pick both teams and win either way - the whole system is rotten not just the Tory party.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

If the Russians aren't all over both mainstream political parties in one way or another I will be very surprised. Politicians are always looking for money to fund there next great campaign and why would the Russians risk picking a team when they can pick both teams and win either way - the whole system is rotten not just the Tory party.

No doubt you can provide a list of Labour MP's who have accepted donations from Russia?  I think there's a couple.  However, there is a much longer list of tories that have received donations, taken holidays paid for by Russians.  And then there's the Russian with links to the KGB who's been promoted to the House of Lords for God's sake.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Yeah it's insane.

A Chelsea player earning £100,000 per WEEK would take around 300 years to earn that much. It's just totally unimaginable sums of money!

Yes it is a load of money, he must be worth as much as one of Putins biggest backers, the Russian Orthodox Church. They’re a registered charity in this country so can claim tax back on donations………Nice!

• Like 1