IGNORED

Please stop off at Darwen (just outside Blackburn) and this is the reason why.

Darwen was the setting for a Norman Wisdom film(ask your grand parents),called "their was a crooked man"

It featured a town in Britain being destroyed by an bogus American General played by Norman Wisdom.

The rumour goes that the USA asked for the film not to be released as it was showing the USA in a bad light.

It was at the height of "the bay of pigs" in cuba incident,again ask your grand parents.

The film was finally released nearly FIFTY YEARS later in 2017,yes I have got a copy.

Having said that,there was a perfect copy doing the rounds on you tube with Russian audio.

Weather conditions for Darwen/Blackburn on Saturday is dry with broken sunshine in the afternoon

See the rest of you hordes in Lancashire on Saturday

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

"I read the news today, oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all"

For those following NTTDS advice to stop off at Darwen prior to kick off, why not make a day of it and count potholes to verify if the Beatles lyrics were factually correct.

I for one would be fascinated.

Edited by Abraham Romanovich

Darwin football club reached the semi final of the FA cup in 1880-81. They were one of the first clubs to employee professional players. In 1891 they were elected to the league, it ended in relegation. So became the first club to be relegated and therefor a founder member of division two. 

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

"I read the news today, oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all"

For those following NTTDS advice to stop off at Darwen prior to kick off, why not make a day of it and count potholes to verify if the Beatles lyrics were factually correct.

I for one would be fascinated.

The Beatles played in Darvin in 1963 at the  Co-Operative Hall. What would we do without @Never to the dark side who starts such interesting threads?

27173667-6F46-44C5-BAA6-AE5259C4E36B.png

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

The Beatles played in Darvin in 1963 at the  Co-Operative Hall. What would we do without @Never to the dark side who starts such interesting threads?

27173667-6F46-44C5-BAA6-AE5259C4E36B.png

When I was working for Gala Bingo at the end of the century, their club in Worcester was given a full facelift. In the attic rooms they found pristine condition posters for bands like The Beatles, Rolling Stones and Freddie and the Dreamers.

It's easy to forget that these bands all had to start somewhere.

They auctioned them off for local charities and raised £thousands, by the way.

Regarding Darwen, I did some work for the local council up there but I couldn't quite get to the bottom of why it was called Blackburn "With" Darwen rather than "and". No one seemed keen on my suggestion that they didn't want it shortened to BaD :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1