IGNORED

Time wasting at throw-ins

Davefevs

Does this mean that, when the singing section (ugh, can't we just call it Section 82?) all shout at the ref to draw his attention to the ball being outside the quadrant at the first opposition corner every match thewre are people doing it because they genuinely think it's an illegal placement? I thought it was just being done because it's funny. Having said that, it has promted refs to come and check a couple of times.

No one objects to time-wasting when your own team are winning by a single goal with five minutes to go, and it’s them who are wasting time.  I was on the touchline for an Under 13 match yesterday and we were telling the boys to take their time with set pieces in the last twenty minutes.  It’s just common sense.  Why hurry?

14 hours ago, TBW said:

Why would it matter where his feet are if he's dropped the ball from his hands already? The only violation would be carrying to ball in his hands outside of the area...

Could throw it three feet in front of himself if he wanted to and wouldn't matter as long as his hands weren't touching the ball outside the area. I mean, he's allowed to drop the ball and kick it off the ground, roll it out, throw it out... so why would it matter that his feet stay in the box? Everything is about the hands.

Don’t know..that’s what I was asking! Like you, I’d always assumed it was about where the ball leaves the hand. But the Birmingham keeper appeared to be doing that outside the area (albeit very hard to judge from where I sit) but getting away with it. That’s why I wondered if feet came into it. More likely explanation as @marmite says is just that it doesn’t get spotted. 

6 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Does this mean that, when the singing section (ugh, can't we just call it Section 82?) all shout at the ref to draw his attention to the ball being outside the quadrant at the first opposition corner every match thewre are people doing it because they genuinely think it's an illegal placement? I thought it was just being done because it's funny. Having said that, it has promted refs to come and check a couple of times.

I bet they’ll only check once though! It occurred to me at that recent game when he came to check, that if I’d been the corner taker I’d have almost certainly made sure I placed a subsequent corner just outside the line……??

17 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It'd be totally impractical in reality, but I'd love added time to be dependent on the outcome of the time wasting that's gone before. E.g, if a team is winning 1-0 and is clearly taking the piss with time wasting to the point that the ref lets it be known to them that he's adding it all on, but then they concede an equaliser before 90 minutes, they don't then get that added time back to try and win the game again.

That wouldn't work, the equalising team may go and get another

6 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I'd wager a lot of money half of them don't know the rules - not S82 specifically, just football fans in general. 

8 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I've always thought it was because people don't know the rules. 

They same way some till think the song they're singing is "up the football here we go" and not the correct, "up the football league we go".

Edited by TBW

21 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

At least it implies that in the dying embers, teams are looking to win when drawing, which is positive. Totally agree about grabbing distance, needs refs to reverse throw ins more often/have something vaguely resembling gumption. Based on this season’s refereeing standards, a conspiracy theorist would assume the League are desperate to introduce VAR, so have instructed refs to be 40% worse than usual, which is 40% off something relatively abysmal. Admittedly to make that argument stick, it would be helpful if VAR in the PL managed to get more than 1 in 17 decisions right. 

Dead easy, take time keeping out of the refs hands blowing time on and off like rugby. There would then be no point in wasting time. At the same time only allow the captain to talk to the ref and mic him up. Any non captain giving back chat, take the free kick 10 metres further up the pitch. Bring back the obstruction rule. Ban substitutions after 90 mins. All adds up to better entertainment for the paying public

• Like 3

20 hours ago, italian dave said:

If we’re talking things that annoy, the one that really gets me is the offending team players rushing to stand in front of the ball and stop a free kick being taken.  Not only are half of all free kicks the result is a deliberate attempt to break up play, but they then get away with stopping a quick free kick for good measure.

I’d bring back that rule that allowed the kick to be moved forward 10 yards in an instant. 

Back in about 2007 -8 I coached my team (in the United Counties League) to take quick free kicks if an opposition t*4t deliberately stood in front of the ball to delay things.  I'd mention to the ref before kick off that we're a 'quick free kick team' and that we spend long sessions getting blokes in position to receive it (plant the seed, eh?).  As soon as we knew that the opposition were into the delaying sh1thousery, the instruction 'Warwick' went out from the dugout.  This meant that as soon as our nearest player got towards the ball to take any subsequent free kicks, two others would run (shouting for the pass) into receiving spots (but impossible to get the ball to either of them if the 'mug' stuck his foot out whilst standing directly in front of the ball).  The running and the yells of our two lads was always far too much for the blocking opponent to resist.  Attempted quick free kick = blocked by the thick beauty who was then booked.  

We did this in every match throughout the season, some sides took longer than others to stop the housery.  And some just didn't learn or didn't realise they were being suckered.  I suppose the average number of yellows for opponents was 5. per game  The most satisfying thing was to watch an opponent whining at the ref for booking him coz he'd deliberately stuck his foot out to stop the kick............and then doing exactly the same thing at the next free kck!

Way more red cards were issued playing against my side than against any other clubs that season. 

I may be a crap footballing tactician (I proudly admit it!) but being a behavioural psychologist has its advantages such as influencing the weak of mind to take the bait and my side finishing a healthy amount of games against 9 or 10 players!  Twas enough to get a points total to avoid what would normally (under my stewardship) result in relegation.

Not knowing current rules, I don't know if the offence  would still attract a caution.  I'm old enough to be from the "If he's offside.....he's bloody offside".

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Dead easy, take time keeping out of the refs hands blowing time on and off like rugby. There would then be no point in wasting time. At the same time only allow the captain to talk to the ref and mic him up. Any non captain giving back chat, take the free kick 10 metres further up the pitch. Bring back the obstruction rule. Ban substitutions after 90 mins. All adds up to better entertainment for the paying public

Couldn't agree more!

Have always felt football could benefit from the way rugby is referreed. Not getting away from a free kick should mean moving the kick forward 10yds. Illegally stopping a goal should result in a ref having the option to award a 'penalty goal'. The ability to hear a refs logic or reason for giving a decision would also be beneficial.

• Like 2

To be fair, i loved Frankie Fieldings time wasting. He was awful ( in a good way for us ) at it. Soooo many time the ball went out for goal kicks and he would look around ‘trying’ to find the ball that was just a few yards away. 
I actually think this side of the game we are rubbish at now. We dont complain much. We dont harrass referees much. We dont waste time much. 
Hoping for NP to toughen us up and make us more streetwise. Its no coincidence we dont finish games off when we cant do the ‘professional things’ properly. 

• Hmmm 1