IGNORED

Cheltenham

• Admin
32 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Our are lads out on the lash (and the flash) for a day at the races anyone know? Or has Nige binned that off after last night's showing?

And I just see Brighton's Tony Bloom has won up there - good job Steve and his Bristol Sports stable have steered clear of that sort of thing, I'd say.

They were scheduled in stay in Yorkshire overnight and travel back today, but traveled back overnight and are training this afternoon instead

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, phantom said:

They were scheduled in stay in Yorkshire overnight and travel back today, but traveled back overnight and are training this afternoon instead

Any defensive training today?

Basics I used to be a defender don't let the guy you are marking score simples.

Man marking know the shirt number of your opponent and stick to them like glue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Are you sure?

56 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

Last time any of our players went to Cheltenham Ayling filled a pint pot from 20 yards!! :facepalm: :laughcont:

20 Yards?

You must be taking the pi55! ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

And I just see Brighton's Tony Bloom has won up there - good job Steve and his Bristol Sports stable have steered clear of that sort of thing, I'd say.

Not watched it yet, so without giving the game away did he win with a horse he owns or on a bet he placed? 

A propos of nothing, I always think the comparison between Brighton's owner and ours is instructive.

Both are professional gamblers (the stock market merely being a more respectable form of betting than the horses at Kempton or the dogs at, er, Eastville) but there the similarity ends. 

For Brighton's owner is a raffish gambler at the races as well as a poker player, Racing Post in one hand, vodka martini shaken not stirred in the other, a tall tale or two to tell. Probably with a leggy "companion" on his arm. Wiki even tells me his nickname is The Lizard! Say no more.

Meanwhile Uncle Steve, an accountant, peers at his Xcel spreadsheets (sorry Mr Fevs?) and watches his stocks and shares, FT in one hand, cup of tea in the other. There are no tall tales to tell, never mind leggy companions. His nickname is Uncle. 

Sexy Brighton, dull Bristol - the owners, that is, but also their football clubs.  

To make matters worse, both bet the house on young, up and coming, English coaches that no-one had heard of. 

Brighton are now in the Premier League.

We are not.

PS. A nag called Dr Duffy ran in the 2.50 at Cheltenham yesterday. Pulled up lame ?

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, phantom said:

My mistake you’re quite correct.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not watched it yet, so without giving the game away did he win with a horse he owns or on a bet he placed? 

A propos of nothing, I always think the comparison between Brighton's owner and ours is instructive.

Both are professional gamblers (the stock market merely being a more respectable form of betting than the horses at Kempton or the dogs at, er, Eastville) but there the similarity ends. 

For Brighton's owner is a raffish gambler at the races as well as a poker player, Racing Post in one hand, vodka martini shaken not stirred in the other, a tall tale or two to tell. Probably with a leggy "companion" on his arm. Wiki even tells me his nickname is The Lizard! Say no more.

Meanwhile Uncle Steve, an accountant, peers at his Xcel spreadsheets (sorry Mr Fevs?) and watches his stocks and shares, FT in one hand, cup of tea in the other. There are no tall tales to tell, never mind leggy companions. His nickname is Uncle. 

Sexy Brighton, dull Bristol - the owners, that is, but also their football clubs.  

To make matters worse, both bet the house on young, up and coming, English coaches that no-one had heard of. 

We are not.

PS. A nag called Dr Duffy ran in the 2.50 at Cheltenham yesterday. Pulled up lame ?

A horse he owns. Someone put a £150k punt on it winning, too. Probably not an accountant in Guernsey. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

We are not.

I always think that clubs the size of ours (and Brightons historically) only get a shot at promotion every 5 or 6 years from the Championship and if you don't take it then the other 4/5 years are about staying in the division. Sadly Brighton took their chance and we have failed to take either of the two we've had.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Loose city link, but I was on the same carriage on the train up with Herbie Kane earlier. 848am out of temple meads and he was smashed by the time we wandered out of cheltenham spa. 

Funnily enough, I was thinking about him last night.

Is he still with Barnsley? He wasn't in their squad.

Perhaps the two are connected.

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Funnily enough, I was thinking about him last night.

Is he still with Barnsley? He wasn't in their squad.

Perhaps the two are connected.

He’s at Oxford winning games and getting assists most weeks, apparently doing very well!! 

Edited by Gratz260689