IGNORED

NP not at all happy with the officiating

Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

As a professional referees they should get more of their decisions right and when they make poor errors that can and often does effect the result of the match. That in turn could cost the manager his job and it’s no surprise to see managers criticising the officials especially when there’s so much at stake.

The reaction clubs get is a letter of apology from the PGMOL - that’s poor and nowhere near enough for losing 1 or 3 points. Under LJ in one season he had 5 letters of apology from the PGMOL…….how many points were they worth?

Personally I think Nige is right when he says the quality of officials need to improve.

Tbh I think that was over 2-3 seasons, I remember some from that season and 3 in particular.

1. Wolves away- December 2016
  2. Burton home- March 2017
  3. Aston Villa away- April 2019

Would be surprised if he got 5 in one season but if you can remember I'd be interested to see the games etc.

3 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Good post. 

I don't believe we should change to become like the others. 

Back in the day Corinthians, I think never used to take their penalties as they didnt believe in them. 

I dont think we should be that extreme as that's hard core, but in becoming like others we lose what makes City, City. 

We've in the umpteen years I've been supporting been a fair club, yip had dirty and niggily players, but not gone full on Redcard, Dark Arts crazy. 

I think to me at least it's part of the laid back Bristolian vibe, or least it has been since I've supported. I hope that makes sense? 

Yes it does make sense. Strange how there's a different sort of Bristolian north of the river. Bring back a few Scots to toughen us up a bit I say.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

1 in 18 months vs the highest conceded this season is fairly remarkable whichever way you slice and dice it but I respect the view- definitely we have never had masses of penalties down the years in my time...certainly seen unhappy fans of other clubs in this respect too- Birmingham, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Stoke in the last few seasons all spring to mind. Some of those lower in the League, with either porous defences, a lack of creativity (chances and as a team not necessarily individually speaking) have some notable differences- otoh it's by no means the sole reason for our woes.

Maybe although we just can't win it seems- see Murray labelling Semenyo's potential penalties at Preston as a dive! How many dives get fallen for vs us.

We do have shouted for some calls often of late- as fans, maybe players and management not so much...I agree with parts of what you say but when a national TV presenter in post match analysis labels good shouts such as Semenyo at Preston as dives, vs a side with one or two divers then we are swimming against the tide somewhat, no? Do you think Murray was right or wrong when he said Semenyo dived at Preston- our penalty vs Swansea in October 2020- yes only our third in 85 League games that- was labelled 'soft' by a Times match report. Can this stuff play on the mind of refs?

Just like officials, we're seen as easy meat to people that want to accuse us of anything, as we don't kick up a fuss. As Talkyfarm (no offence) says, perhaps it runs right through the club, rubs off from the fans to the players. I'm certain they get an easier ride here than if they went oop north.

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Just like officials, we're seen as easy meat to people that want to accuse us of anything, as we don't kick up a fuss. As Talkyfarm (no offence) says, perhaps it runs right through the club, rubs off from the fans to the players. I'm certain they get an easier ride here than if they went oop north.

Interesting, maybe something in that. Even NP has generally been quite restrained on officiating although two, maybe three times he has had his say forcefully- well post the QPR game in particular. Maybe it's something in the water in Bristol.

Watched this back several times...

https://streamja.com/29M0k

You can argue for and against a penalty, but sure as hell wasn't a dive! In any event, the defender made the first contact and yes it isn't a contact sport but I'd have been inclined to give.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair points, especially the first 2 paragraphs.

Accountability? What's that- Andy Davies what kind of accountability was there for him in December, that game was truly atrocious and his record vs us is a bit of an eye opener too...2 pens at Preston, 1 at QPR in the Cup both in 2019 and one at AG in 2021 also v QPR- to say nothing off the handball in the buildup to their winner, Preston's other goal having a player being climbed on, think we had 2 disallowed in that one as well but tbh they were correct I expect- there was also for balance I believe a fairly uncontroversial afternoon at Millwall in 2019/20, not long before lockdown!

Respect for professionals is fine yes, and I am not a fan of VAR but the standard at this level is just shocking. Don't think it's some shadowy cabal cackling and laughing, plotting to do us down, just the standard is appalling.

You can rewind every decision that’s gone against us over the years and I’ll not argue with any of them! Yes, Andy Davies was appalling, yes referees make mistakes (despite everything, I don’t believe ever deliberately so) and even allowing for our obvious bias there are some decisions that are downright obvious and wrong.

What accountability? As I said, I’m not that familiar with the assessment process, but I assume that there’s a reason for that process and that there is some comeback where those assessments find an official is consistently poor.

And yes, I agree that the standard generally is not as good as it should be. But to come back to the original point, that standard isn’t going to be improved by managers publicly slating officials. It might make the manager, and the fans, feel better for a few minutes, but long term it’s not going to do anything positive and more likely - by driving a wedge between managers and officials - it will actually make the situation worse. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

As a professional referees they should get more of their decisions right and when they make poor errors that can and often does effect the result of the match. That in turn could cost the manager his job and it’s no surprise to see managers criticising the officials especially when there’s so much at stake.

The reaction clubs get is a letter of apology from the PGMOL - that’s poor and nowhere near enough for losing 1 or 3 points. Under LJ in one season he had 5 letters of apology from the PGMOL…….how many points were they worth?

Personally I think Nige is right when he says the quality of officials need to improve.

Of course they should. Ideally 100%. But how will slating them publicly help them get better? 

NP may be right about the quality of officials. He is also right when he says that the quality of our defence needs to improve too. But as we know, saying it and doing something about it are two different things. He seems to be struggling enough with the one he does have some influence over, so I can’t  see how him criticising officials is going to help. 

34 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Of course they should. Ideally 100%. But how will slating them publicly help them get better? 

In a way, a Ref could get decisions 100% on a day, and still get some wrong (stay with me)
He will give his interpretation of the rules in ant call, and from the angle he see them. TV can then dissect any incident in slow Mo from multiple angles to prove he's wrong. It's a hard job, and if you sit by me you will know I don't make it any easier.

I feel, if they would come out after a game, even after maybe watching incidents back on TV or screens and just explain what they were thinking it would help. I'd be happy if a Ref would do a clip for MotD or Goals on Sunday or whatever, just explain his point of view. If someone said, from my view I didn't see, I thought X got a touch, just explained why he gave a certain decision, it would help how they are viewed massively. 

I don't like managers being forced to give their opinion straight after games, then being fined for saying something which is still "heat of the moment".  Imagine Quest showing one of our games, it could go into overtime Refs trying to explain why we haven't had a Pen this decade.

• Like 2

On 21/03/2022 at 14:31, maxjak said:

Soft penalty?   Have you ever been punched solidly in yer Puss?.................it was 100 % A penalty.    Bents got it wrong, unfortunately, if it was the other way round, we would crying out for a spot kick? 

Yes, the difference is that they were awarded a spot kick, we wouldn't have been awarded one!

• Like 1