IGNORED

why Wembley is a horrible venue,and always will be

• The title was changed to why Wembley is a horrible venue,and always will be
13 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

My beef about the place is just getting away after night time games,the Underground are all service trains and stop every where.

The Underground trains should run non stop from Wembley to the London main train stations

Wonderful for anyone who lives near any of the stops you want to miss out. I am surprised at you John as an advocate of minor stops elsewhere in the country.

If you want a more direct route to the centre of London you could walk up to the new station and take the Overground.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

My beef about the place is just getting away after night time games,the Underground are all service trains and stop every where.

The Underground trains should run non stop from Wembley to the London main train stations

I thought an aficionado like you would know it’s a Railway Station, not a train station! ?

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

The Underground trains should run non stop from Wembley to Bristol Temple Meads

Sorted that for you.

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Last time I went in the double year, we parked in High Wycombe station for less than £10 and got the train in for about £12, after the game we went straight to the station, onto a train easily and back to High Wycombe and the car no probs

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I dont see the problem myself. It is chaotic when leaving, but 100K people heading in one direction is always a challenge.

The alternative is all those bags need to be checked going into the ground which will flow people getting in.

Is a bit annoying if you commute and go straight from work though.

Worst part about Wembley is the tube station. I tried to be clever and walk round to the street but they weren’t letting anyone in at street level.

To be fair, the ‘new bag policy’ - which I agree is ridiculous- has been in place for at least a year now, and every ticket holder is sent at least 2 emails beforehand ( including the day before the match) as a reminder. And the instructions don’t suggest using the bag drop, which is really only a fallback. Inconvenient, as I go straight from work, and more about saving money on stewarding than genuine security ( now with, for the first time, airport style metal detectors, I noticed), but fans can’t really say they were not warned. 

6 hours ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

It’s a wonderful stadium in a terrible location 

Don't agree about the location at all - there are plenty of options for travelling.   Driving from Bristol you can park near various Met line stations on Uxbridge branch eg Ruislip, Ruislip Gardens which are just off M40 and it's an easy tube journey to Wembley Park.  Alternatively park at  Kew Gardens and get N London line to Willesden Junction and change to overground for Wembley Central station. 

Or  you can park  off M40/A40  at places like near Northwick Park Hospital where there is  free street parking then hop on a bus for about 15 minutes - note  there is a two mile no parking area enforced on matchdays around Wembley so you can't park nearer the stadium unless you want to pay in private car parks.  The latter will be very slow due to traffic, far better to get a bus or walk a couple of miles.

30 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

The alternative is all those bags need to be checked going into the ground which will flow people getting in.

Is a bit annoying if you commute and go straight from work though.

Worst part about Wembley is the tube station. I tried to be clever and walk round to the street but they weren’t letting anyone in at street level.

Use the overground!! It's so easy and  convenient I can't believe more don't use it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

It’s a wonderful stadium in a terrible location 

In the early 1920s when a site for a stadium to host the British Empire Exhibition was sought, they selected Wembley because it was a piece of unwanted wasteland.

I went to Wembley on Saturday for the Switzerland game and was really impressed with the organisation for coach transport.

I caught a National Express direct service from Gloucester and apart from some of the normal London congestion at the end of the M40, it wasn't too bad heading in, or out.

The stadium itself is incredible, the sound system is fantastic, and me and my mate had a great day out for about £80 each.

To be honest, it's taken longer getting out of grounds like Villa Park and Anfield!

4 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I went to Wembley on Saturday for the Switzerland game and was really impressed with the organisation for coach transport.

I caught a National Express direct service from Gloucester and apart from some of the normal London congestion at the end of the M40, it wasn't too bad heading in, or out.

The stadium itself is incredible, the sound system is fantastic, and me and my mate had a great day out for about £80 each.

To be honest, it's taken longer getting out of grounds like Villa Park and Anfield!

Yep! I went to the same game, used the overground train and within 20 mins of the final whistle I was in a pub in marylebone

• Like 2

Old Trafford had a similar policy at one point, directly following the attacks you could only have a small bag in the stadium, I'm not 100% sure if its still in place (I can't imagine its not its just not a common topic of conversation) but I know my mum, who has a large handbag because she stores all sorts of things in there including presumably a small country - possibly Liechtenstein, got a smaller one for essentials to take into the ground easy enough when it's a not even 5 minute walk from your home, small nation state thus not required, so it's clearly not just a Wembley/London thing, no airport style scanners for mum's gate but they do have the handheld metal detectors and have for a while. 

I agree with others the overground from Marylebone is really easy to Wembley including on an evening, we have also driven to High Wycombe and taken the train from there which is also very simple. 

4 hours ago, 22A said:

In the early 1920s when a site for a stadium to host the British Empire Exhibition was sought, they selected Wembley because it was a piece of unwanted wasteland.

Which it still is, if you've had the misfortune of venturing into the suburb surrounding the stadium...  :noexp:

16 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

A queue for handbags means its a terrible venue and always will be? Apart from that id probably say its one of the biggest and most well equiped and modern stadiums in the world.

The logistical issues one faces getting both into and out of the Wembley Stadium are very significant - your comment suggests, and probably confirms, you’ve never been to a game there ...

2 hours ago, Edgy Red said:

It’s taken you longer to get “out of grounds like Villa Park and Anfield” - can you clarify? So you obviously were able to park within those two stadia and after the games it took you a long time to get out? Longer than when you parked within Wembley Stadium - really?