IGNORED

SL/JL anything?

This is what i don’t get from fans, they want to hear something from the owners which is likely to be a load of tosh but when the manager speaks honestly about the players and the situation at the club he’s vilified. 

Serious question - what would you like to hear from Jon Lansdown?

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Rob k said:

This is what i don’t get from fans, they want to hear something from the owners which is likely to be a load of tosh but when the manager speaks honestly about the players and the situation at the club he’s vilified. 

I guess if he did say something at least some fans can vilify him too…

13 minutes ago, Rob k said:

It’s a good point.

My feeling is that it’s so, so quiet on the comms side whoever it’s to come from.  Huboo, one day of hullabaloo! Season Tickets, nothing inventive, all comms died down after a day or two.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

All I want to hear from them is something along the lines of

'we're employing a Director of Football and a Head of Recruitment to be chosen by Nigel and Richard.   We currently have some limitations financially due to FFP but we want to put in place a structure that will allow us to develop over the next few seasons.  If and when Nigel leaves, we want the structure and people in place that will allow the club to develop and be an attraction to the next manager.'

I’m not sure it’s a DoF we want, I’d see NP more in that role, and it’s a coach we need. But that’s splitting hairs - it’s definitely something we never seem to have got right as a club, even pre Lansdowns. 

We had the John Ward/Benny fiasco - Ward needed a coach like Benny but the way we handled it meant he walked and we then left Benny - who was a decent coach - in an untenable position as Manager. 

Throughout the Millen, McInnes, O’Driscoll era it was crying out for a DoF and never seemed to register. SC was too stubborn to admit he couldn’t do it all and that worked at L1 level but not above. LJ could have benefitted from a good DoF (as opposed to the Finance Director he got). We’ve just never got it really right, 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a good point.

My feeling is that it’s so, so quiet on the comms side whoever it’s to come from.  Huboo, one day of hullabaloo! Season Tickets, nothing inventive, all comms died down after a day or two.

Perhaps there's more going on behind the scenes then we think…:dunno:

I'm thinking more towards investment? 

I don't think there will be any statement regarding management until the end of season anyway…

• Like 2

Not sure what people want to hear from them?? They can’t influence the shart being dished up on the pitch , only NP and the players can do that.  Our hands are tied financially next season and although it’s bad decisions by SL and JL that have contributed massively to this situation they are not going to come out and take the blame.

We have gone backwards since LJ was sacked, no doubt at all , but we are a Championship club again next season and who knows what next season will bring. 

I personally don’t like the Bristol Sport branding , I feel we lost our identity with that and I have also said many times that I think that it may be time for a change of owners. SL and his investment has held this club together but for too long now I feel there has been no ambition to make the final push on the pitch. NP was appointed 2 years too late in my eyes, and we are paying for that big time now.

11 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

So many fans misunderstand their roles 

I don't think it's just a case of misunderstanding the roles, it's that people don't like the set up.

If your plane hits turbulence, you don't want to hear that it's being piloted by cabin crew, and the Pilot is on the ground 150 miles away and the Co-Pilot is on the other side of the world on the end of a phone.

There's nothing quite like being part of it to realise how good or bad it is. How long have second hand accounts been glossing over things and telling the Lansdown family what they want to hear? I believe their decisions/perspective is altered because they aren't present enough.     

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Perhaps there's more going on behind the scenes then we think…:dunno:

I'm thinking more towards investment? 

I don't think there will be any statement regarding management until the end of season anyway…

I think you might be right. No evidence, but I just wonder whether the completion of the basketball arena is something SL will see as a milestone that marks time for him to move on. His legacy in terms of bricks and mortar and in terms of Bristol Sport as a whole will be complete. 

He’ll be into his 70s by then, he knows Jon has no long term interest in taking over, and therefore he’ll be looking for a buyer - investment but also ownership? 

As I say, no evidence, just a feeling. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I think you might be right. No evidence, but I just wonder whether the completion of the basketball arena is something SL will see as a milestone that marks time for him to move on. His legacy in terms of bricks and mortar and in terms of Bristol Sport as a whole will be complete. 

He’ll be into his 70s by then, he knows Jon has no long term interest in taking over, and therefore he’ll be looking for a buyer - investment but also ownership? 

As I say, no evidence, just a feeling

Yes…it feels as like that to me.

18 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

They could try the medium of dance and movement, then, instead? Or sculpture? To say what needs to be said without saying it, or not saying it.

Good shout. They could record the video at the High Performance Centre

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

They would be damned if they spoke and damned if they didn’t. We as fans need to accept that we are where we are and likely to go down next season.

Fair point.

But for me, we've only had the voice of NP bleating on about the changes that need to be made for the club to progress.

I think if SL or JL were keen, and supportive of the points that NP is making; then sitting in on one of his Thursday pre match press conferences, and saying as much would go a long way to clearing up what is currently a confusing picture.

At present it's almost akin to a boxer calling out an future opponent; and in truth it's not pleasant, and is getting very repetitive.

Either you back NP or you don't. Silence gets us nowhere as a club.

JL comes out and speaks like a fan a few months ago. He's the chairman, what does he think now? What did he expect to happen after those words? What do him, and his father want now?

Cue we go into potentially the most important transfer window in the last 10 years with no clear direction, identity of what we are trying to achieve; or even in the knowledge who will be manager come July.

Clueless in my eyes at the present.

• Flames 1

With regard to JL speaking out, last time he did that he got publicly shot down.

NP could have said at that time, "its because of you and your old man that this club is where it is and I'm working with your legacy".

"Six weeks to appoint DH, Ashton, LJs spending, poor recruitment, then you bugger off to Bermuda while your dad is in exile in the Channel Islands."

I don't think we'll be hearing from either of them until there is some good news, both haven't exactly played a blinder..

I hope Gould speaks out to say "NP is going nowhere - NP and me will sort their mess out for them."

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 4
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

They would be damned if they spoke and damned if they didn’t. We as fans need to accept that we are where we are and likely to go down next season.

Well, I for one am not willing to accept it! They should be damned as they are ultimately responsible for our current predicament. They have presided over a complete s***show and need to be held accountable. They can keep on sacking managers until the cows come home but it’s not going to make a shred of difference. 

Lansdowns out and Gould out. 

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

With regard to JL speaking out, last time he did that he got publicly shot down.

NP could have said at that time, "its because of you and your old man that this club is where it is and I'm working with your legacy".

"Six weeks to appoint DH, Ashton, LJs spending, poor recruitment, then you bugger off to Bermuda while your dad is in exile in the Channel Islands."

I don't think we'll be hearing from either of them until there is some good news, both haven't exactly played a blinder..

I hope Gould speaks out to say "NP is going nowhere - NP and me will sort their mess out for them."

Yep, no problem with the message coming from Gould, if the chairman; and owner are just really really busy?.

Doesn't matter who delivers it, there just needs to be one in my eyes....

5 hours ago, italian dave said:

I’m not sure it’s a DoF we want, I’d see NP more in that role, and it’s a coach we need. But that’s splitting hairs - it’s definitely something we never seem to have got right as a club, even pre Lansdowns. 

We had the John Ward/Benny fiasco - Ward needed a coach like Benny but the way we handled it meant he walked and we then left Benny - who was a decent coach - in an untenable position as Manager. 

Throughout the Millen, McInnes, O’Driscoll era it was crying out for a DoF and never seemed to register. SC was too stubborn to admit he couldn’t do it all and that worked at L1 level but not above. LJ could have benefitted from a good DoF (as opposed to the Finance Director he got). We’ve just never got it really right, 

Thought Ward/Benny happened on Scott Davidson's watch?

26 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Every time I hear from Gould something dies inside me a little. He’s more wooden than FGR’s proposed eco-friendly stadium and nothing he says ever inspires confidence.

He has a good reputation & did a decent job at Somerset & Surrey.

He didn’t cover himself with glory with the interview when Nige was unwell but I’m still prepared to see what he can do in pretty challenging circumstances.

When I remember the smarmy bastard (Train Guy) who held the role before him I’m actually glad he’s here.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

That’s the problem with some of our fan base . Happy to accept going down and being a club with no ambition. 

I’m not happy with us going down, but I’m happy that we are staying up this season.

Next season I think it will be a massive task for us to survive the drop as we are likely to receive a points deduction and there won’t be any money to spend in the summer.

Some fans think we should be higher than we are and that a manager should be able to work miracles with a squad that isn’t good enough. That’s unrealistic. We’re just not very good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

As I say, no evidence, just a feeling. 

It’s a open secret isn’t it that we’ve been looking to sell or get a investor on board for a long time.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

I’m not happy with us going down, but I’m happy that we are staying up this season.

Next season I think it will be a massive task for us to survive the drop as we are likely to receive a points deduction and there won’t be any money to spend in the summer.

Some fans think we should be higher than we are and that a manager should be able to work miracles with a squad that isn’t good enough. That’s unrealistic. We’re just not very good.

Its not a given that we will get a points deduction. 

I tend to think that NP is correct in his assertion that the club is passive and I think that applies from SL down and includes an element of the fan base. I'm pretty sure that NP will have ben happy to hear those boos and chants of embarrassing, at least it shows something other than just accepting how things are or accepting that we'll go down next season - the epitome of passive. And he can use it to ram home to the players that it was a nothing performance and the fans won't accept it. Surprised it took that long for the supporters to start getting on the players backs.

We have some good players and some promising players, but we also have some which are a bit meh and play like it. Things don't stand still so this season shouldn't be a barometer of next season. Move some on (easier said than done if under contract), keep the good guys (easier said than done if they don't want to be here), draft in some with a bit of backbone in them (easier said than done). Its difficult, but not impossible.

I don't expect us to be promotion material next season, but not relegation fodder either.