IGNORED

Barbecue

Bristol Rob

Probably too quick off the mark with this, given that there is still plenty of time for cold/bad weather but I declare BARBECUE SEASON IS ON.

What are you go to barbecue delights? What recipes have you perfected for cooking on charcoal (or gas), and what has surprised you as working better than it should?

Unsurprisingly, I have spent large parts of this weekend eating barbecued food. 

Winners includes - camembert grilled in its little wooden tub until melted and then attacked by greedy people holding breadsticks.

Naga wings (if you don't have any, get some Mr Naga pickle), guaranteed to make children cry.

And finally sea bass (whole) stuffed with jerk seasoning. And, if you leave the head on, kids won't go near it.

• Like 5

I trump your BBQ with a pizza oven ☺️ ...two whole legs of lamb slow cooked for five hours. Base of red onions, lemons, kalamata olives, thyme, garlic bulbs, rosemary, tomatoes, feta, waxy spuds. Lamb pierced with rosemary, garlic and anchovy. Flat breads hand made and cooked in oven ..with salad, tzaziki and homous. Nom nom. That was Saturday.

Sunday was baked fish and squid and Greek salad.

Best investment I've ever made.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

I trump your BBQ with a pizza oven ☺️ ...two whole legs of lamb slow cooked for five hours. Base of red onions, lemons, kalamata olives, thyme, garlic bulbs, rosemary, tomatoes, feta, waxy spuds. Lamb pierced with rosemary, garlic and anchovy. Flat breads hand made and cooked in oven ..with salad, tzaziki and homous. Nom nom. That was Saturday.

How do you slow cook in a pizza oven? The whole point of a pizza oven is very high temperatures to cook food quickly.

23 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

How do you slow cook in a pizza oven? The whole point of a pizza oven is very high temperatures to cook food quickly.

You'll be surprised what you can do in a pizza oven. It goes back centuries. Slow and fast cooked. Same as a modern oven. You've just got to control the heat with embers. Yes it's more hands on, but it's fun with a cold one in your and and friends around. Same oven has cooked pizza in 4 minutes. It's all about temp, wood, embers, placement etc

• Flames 1

12 hours ago, spudski said:

Hmmm I've long assumed a Pizza Oven was a bit of a one-trick-pony. Maybe I was hasty in that assumption! 

6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Hmmm I've long assumed a Pizza Oven was a bit of a one-trick-pony. Maybe I was hasty in that assumption! 

You can cook pretty much anything in them. They are basically an oven. Pre gas and electric. In this country, people cooked in bread ovens. Same principle. They used to and still do cook whole roast pigs in them. Worth the investment if you like cooking al fresco. ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spudski said:

You'll be surprised what you can do in a pizza oven. It goes back centuries. Slow and fast cooked. Same as a modern oven. You've just got to control the heat with embers. Yes it's more hands on, but it's fun with a cold one in your and and friends around. Same oven has cooked pizza in 4 minutes. It's all about temp, wood, embers, placement etc

Ahh..  but you cook your flat breads in the oven.

I built a tandoor oven.

20220314_124859.jpg

• Like 1
  • Flames 3

21 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Probably too quick off the mark with this, given that there is still plenty of time for cold/bad weather but I declare BARBECUE SEASON IS ON.

Winners includes - camembert grilled in its little wooden tub until melted and then attacked by greedy people holding breadsticks.

And finally sea bass (whole) stuffed with jerk seasoning. And, if you leave the head on, kids won't go near it.

We occasionally have grilled Camembert, but never tried it in its original box.

Out of interest, is your Sea Bass fresh, is it line caught or farmed and how much does it cost?

I ask, as our local wet fish monger has recently had some fantastic deals on farmed sea bass, from Greece I think, selling at approximately £6/kilo.

Very good value and taste wonderful panfried simply with salt, pepper and lemon.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Out of interest, is your Sea Bass fresh, is it line caught or farmed and how much does it cost?

I ask, as our local wet fish monger has recently had some fantastic deals on farmed sea bass, from Greece I think, selling at approximately £6/kilo.

Very good value and taste wonderful panfried simply with salt, pepper and lemon.

It was a bit of an afterthought doing fish, happened to be walking past the fish counter in Tesco, so just picked up two whole sea bass, I didn't check the origin (the two fish cost seven quid).

Usually use the fishmongers on Gloucester Road, they are more expensive but they carry a lot more variety.

Edited by Bristol Rob

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thing with the cheese, either soak the box first so it doesn't burn, or wrap it in foil. No need to keep it in the box - just one less thing to wash up! Wait till it is a melty dish of cheesy goodness and then attack it with bread. 

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Thing with the cheese, either soak the box first so it doesn't burn, or wrap it in foil. No need to keep it in the box - just one less thing to wash up! Wait till it is a melty dish of cheesy goodness and then attack it with bread. 

When I do baked camembert I fork it all over, place garlic in the holes and rosemary. Then pour white wine over it. Let it soak in the holes. I put foil around it to stop it burning. Tastes great. Like you say...cheesy goodness. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

When I do baked camembert I fork it all over, place garlic in the holes and rosemary. Then pour white wine over it. Let it soak in the holes. I put foil around it to stop it burning. Tastes great. Like you say...cheesy goodness. 

Hadn't considered jazzing it up. That sounds interesting.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

It was a bit of an afterthought doing fish, happened to be walking past the fish counter in Tesco, so just picked up two whole sea bass, I didn't check the origin (the two fish cost seven quid).

Usually use the fishmongers on Gloucester Road, they are more expensive but they carry a lot more variety.

At that price, I should imagine they were farmed, but still good value, given a medium sized sea bass is around 1lb in weight.

23 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Nduja. This summer I plan to cover most things in Nduja.

I did a monkfish tail steamed in foil on the BBQ with an Nduja butter. One of the best 

Didn't realise the bloke from Massive Attack had branched out in to dairy farming. Like that bloke from Blur, only more authentic with a west country twist.

Edited by Bristol Rob
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Didn't realise the bloke from Massive Attack had branched out in to dairy farming. Like that bloke from Blur, only more authentic with a west country twist.

Talking of monkfish, if you can get hold of the cheeks skewer them up and they are not too different from scallops. Just a marinade of lemon and olive oil

35 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Mix it in with mayonnaise, and use it as a dip for tempura'd veg. Nom 

Now that sounds rather nice. An alternative to my usual go to aioli. I can imagine that would be nice with freshly made Greek style squid. 

Can I ask where you source your nduja? It's not always readily available.

Edited by spudski

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You can get it online, in Waitrose but there is a deli at the top of Whiteladies road that normally has it.  Divino deli

Yes I was hoping not to go down the online route. My local Waitrose has stopped selling it. Cheers for the heads up though.