IGNORED

if you could pick the ideal fixture list next season,what would you do?

For me its the mid-week fixtures lists that I would like to have some input.

The EFL(the 72 clubs) had a vote whether the clubs wanted long distance games or short distance games for midweek fixtures.

The vote was for long distance game for mid week games.

This might suit the 1st and 2nd division teams,BUT not for the Championship..

Bristol City were very fortunate this season,of the ten midweek games five were at home and five away

Reading(80 miles) millwall(121 miles) Birmingham(86 miles) Luton(112 miles) and the only fly in the ointment was Barnsley(172 miles)

Four of this seasons midweek away games could have been done in less that two hours,and also get back using public transport(the train of course)

What would you request if you had a magic wand,as well as the ear of the the EFL fixture list compilers?

I'd like to see more flexibility around kick-off times, with visiting teams/us away given more opportunity to attend and get back, so not too dissimilar to yourself.

If an 8pm start sees more home/away fans able to attend, move the kick off back; if it is a short journey and 7.30pm appears to be a sensible time to start they do that instead.

Could help those who would usually bring kids but 7.45 is too late.

Finally, games moved for television coverage. Get that home games are probably too difficult to assist the supporters with changes, but for those who do travel, if Sky want to show the game and supporters have already booked travel/hotels/tickets there is a EFL scheme where they have either negotiated flexibility on behalf of fans with the rail/Hotel chain etc that allow booking to be moved or refunded.

• Like 2

Not too many home midweek games, or a slightly earlier kick off time on occasions to make last train home etc - even the odd 7.30pm or 7pm would be helpful (kick offs always used to be 7.30pm years ago). That may not work for everyone but flexibility on evening ko time would be good to give everyone a chance as @Bristol Robsuggests (eg kids).

I didn’t think I would, but I quite enjoyed the 5.30pm kick off time on Saturday - plenty of time to do other stuff beforehand and then not home too late (10pm) so if we have to move for TV at the weekend, that would be my preference rather than 12noon or 7.45pm. 

• Like 1

608 of us headed to Rotherham plus the pay on the day now look how many WBA fans are heading to Rotherham for the boxing day match

Boxing day match with no trains and up against the premier league,which we were not

Just wish those long journeys would be planned for saturdays and short trips during mid week

https://www.stokecityfc.com/news/2022/december/12/tickets-sold-out-for-boxing-day-clash/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

608 of us headed to Rotherham plus the pay on the day now look how many WBA fans are heading to Rotherham for the boxing day match

Boxing day match with no trains and up against the premier league,which we were not

Just wish those long journeys would be planned for saturdays and short trips during mid week

https://www.stokecityfc.com/news/2022/december/12/tickets-sold-out-for-boxing-day-clash/

I'm confused, John....not by the West Brom/Stoke mix up, but by the last sentence.  This trip was on a Saturday, so unsure of the relevance... (though I am admittedly still peeved at the Norwich/Burnley double header earlier this season)

On 19/04/2022 at 08:21, Never to the dark side said:

For me its the mid-week fixtures lists that I would like to have some input.

The EFL(the 72 clubs) had a vote whether the clubs wanted long distance games or short distance games for midweek fixtures.

The vote was for long distance game for mid week games.

This might suit the 1st and 2nd division teams,BUT not for the Championship..

Bristol City were very fortunate this season,of the ten midweek games five were at home and five away

Reading(80 miles) millwall(121 miles) Birmingham(86 miles) Luton(112 miles) and the only fly in the ointment was Barnsley(172 miles)

Four of this seasons midweek away games could have been done in less that two hours,and also get back using public transport(the train of course)

What would you request if you had a magic wand,as well as the ear of the the EFL fixture list compilers?

Can we play Qatar a few times ?

All long distance games to be played at the start & end of the season so we can travel in daylight.

Travel short distances in the depths of Winter. Far more useful to the travelling fans if a game is called off at short notice.

Evening games used to be 7.30pm ko; why was this changed to 7.45? 8.00pm starts are useful only to TV programme schedulers.

Edited by 22A
  • Like 2

On 19/04/2022 at 23:02, Red_Alligator said:

Liverpool away first game, home last game. That would be pretty ideal in my eyes. ?

For fans of my generation, nostalgia means  it would have to be Arsenal away first game of the season.

Coventry away for the last game might be more tricky! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not if we both only need a point.

I was meaning tricky in the sense that it would need both us and Coventry to gain promotion.....

...or Arsenal to be relegated!

On 19/04/2022 at 18:22, eardun said:

Not too many home midweek games, or a slightly earlier kick off time on occasions to make last train home etc - even the odd 7.30pm or 7pm would be helpful (kick offs always used to be 7.30pm years ago). That may not work for everyone but flexibility on evening ko time would be good to give everyone a chance as @Bristol Robsuggests (eg kids).

I didn’t think I would, but I quite enjoyed the 5.30pm kick off time on Saturday - plenty of time to do other stuff beforehand and then not home too late (10pm) so if we have to move for TV at the weekend, that would be my preference rather than 12noon or 7.45pm. 

But do not TV have control 

On 19/04/2022 at 07:21, Never to the dark side said:

Do keep up, stop being so BS3centric and don't just limit it to midweek.

Several 'away' train fixtures were driven this year (despite having purchased train tickets) - read the press and you'll understand why. Get back to London by train post a midweek at AG, not if you don't wish to leave halfway through the second half. Many of those 'two hour' trips fail to account for 'ground to station' far end, nor arriving back at TM when there's no option other than to call Danny Devito. Neither Brum nor Luton are what I'd call 'adjacent' stations.

But in answer to your question: midweeks should be decided not by distance but by quality of boozer.  In which case Luton's forever midweek.