IGNORED

Edson, Dave L - Please

richieb

Needs serious reconsideration.

Yep, it's only two games & we have time to get the system right.

But it seems that from many quarters that 4-3-3 is causing concern.

Come on guys use your undoubted influence to get Tinnion to revert to a 3-5-2.

We have the players to hurt teams.

We had the best defence last season & with Tinnions attacking promise we should get it right.

Thanks in anticipation :P

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

I wouldn't blame it on 4-3-3 at all because we're not really playing 4-3-3! I'd blame it on the fact that we have Murray on the right flank and nobody on the left flank....that's the major problem....another problem is that the three midfielders are all over the place rather than playing zonal like this - 'left-centre-right Tinnion-Doherty-Orr left-centre-right'

3-5-2 with Bell and Murray wing-backs would be almost guaranteed to work(as it has done in the past),and a zonal three-man midfield as I mentioned above,3-5-2 would give us desperately-needed balance....

Or 4-4-2 with Anyinsah or Goodfellow on the left-wing,if target-man Miller was up front then Anyinsah or Goodfellow could have some freedom to fill the hole at times....Murray on the right-wing,Orr and Doherty in midfield....

Guest Red Sinjen

I still think that 4-3-3 could work well for us, when the players learn to adapt to it. The problem with most footy players is that they are not blessed with an abundance of the ol grey matter. We need to give it a go. Lets face it we gave Wilson's formations 4 years and look where that got us. I think we should give it 5 games or so and see where we are with it then. Its far too early to write it off yet, but I agree if ain't working then lets hope Tinman changes it.

I wouldn't blame it on 4-3-3 at all because we're not really playing 4-3-3! I'd blame it on the fact that we have Murray on the right flank and nobody on the left flank....that's the major problem....another problem is that the three midfielders are all over the place rather than playing zonal like this - 'left-centre-right Tinnion-Doherty-Orr left-centre-right'

3-5-2 with Bell and Murray wing-backs would be almost guaranteed to work(as it has done in the past),and a zonal three-man midfield as I mentioned above,3-5-2 would give us desperately-needed balance....

Or 4-4-2 with Anyinsah or Goodfellow on the left-wing,if target-man Miller was up front then Anyinsah or Goodfellow could have some freedom to fill the hole at times....Murray on the right-wing,Orr and Doherty in midfield....

Yep 4-4-2 would bring us back to the traditional BCFC way of playing.

Two wingers would be ideal.

Lets get the message over.

Could be that Tinnion has now realised that 4-3-3 needs replacing.

I still think that 4-3-3 could work well for us, when the players learn to adapt to it. The problem with most footy players is that they are not blessed with an abundance of the ol grey matter. We need to give it a go. Lets face it we gave Wilson's formations 4 years and look where that got us. I think we should give it 5 games or so and see where we are with it then. Its far too early to write it off yet, but I agree if ain't working then lets hope Tinman changes it.

Yep, you could be right, time needed to bed it down.

But Barnsley seemed to adapt to it better & they have a real fresh bunch of grey matter.

We had the best defence last season & with Tinnions attacking promise we should get it right.

Your wife has as much influence over team selection as I do. Ask her to have a word.

Your wife has as much influence over team selection as I do. Ask her to have a word.

If I had a wife, I would ask her :P

Sorry Dave, didn't mean team selection, just thought in passing you could pass on some of the feelings being aired? :D

We have only played 2 games, so all a bit soon to really be concerned.

Tinnion knows what is expected, so plenty of time to get it right? :laugh:

2 games 2 goals, that for me is positive, at least we are scoring and goals arent going in from set pieces - that was the problem last year, so we just need to iron out the creases and the stupid mistakes and we will be fine - rememeber, new manager, new signings, new formation, same shitty division - its bound to be like this.

It does not work last year we beat teams by wearing them down and attacking with overlaps and pace the only thing that stopped us gaining promotion was our quality up front. This year we apparntly have that quality. So why the wholesale changes with formation we are being raped by teams through the middle and on the flanks because we are conceeding space. Bring back 4 4 2 or 3 5 2.

I'm a bit spent from getting managers hired and fired. Don't tell me I have to pick the team too.

Edson - have you any views on City's start to the season? What do you make of 4-3-3 and 1 point from 6? As I recall you had very strong views about our previous managers tactics and so on.Always an interesting read.

My apologese if you've already expressed your current opinion and I missed it.

Edson - have you any views on City's start to the season? What do you make of 4-3-3 and 1 point from 6? As I recall you had very strong views about our previous managers tactics and so on.Always an interesting read.

My apologese if you've already expressed your current opinion and I missed it.

As I stated after watching a few of the preseason games, I think 4-3-3 leaves us too narrow. Not only that, I just don't think the players understand it (be that because they just aren't clever enough footballers or whatever). I think Scott is a right winger and needs to be played as such if he's to be as influential as we all know he can be.

Obviously, I'm disappointed with one point from a possible six, as everyone is and I think changes should be made (not because I'm in the business of knee-jerk changes, but because the changes would be to play the team I always felt would be our best line up before we'd kicked a ball, having seen some of our preseason).

I think Miller should start in any forward line we put out, because he gives defenders different problems from any other forward we currently have at the club and he certainly seemed to have an influence when he came on last night(from what I heard).

If a defence only has to think about pace, then it is relatively easy to defend against it. If there is a dual threat of pace and physical presence, then defenders have more on their plates and are more likely to lose concentration or be overwhelmed, in my opinion.

Personally, I would start with a team not dissimilar to that of Bristol Boy's, but then, I'm not the manager and I certainly won't be ringing Tins up to tell him what I think, unless he asks me directly. But I'm sure he has friends with far more experience in footbal than me, if he wants an alternative opinion to his own.

My strong views on Danny Wilson only surfaced after three years or more of his management that I felt wasn't working. Tins has had two games and, while I would do it differently, I am prepared to give him slightly longer than 180 minutes to prove himself.

I had hoped that Tins wouldn't start games, as I felt his focus should be on managing the players and little has happened to change my opinion on that. Maybe he thinks he's the best option we have until Luke returns. I don't know, but that is my feeling and, for me, Luke can't come back soon enough.

Can I just add how disappointed, short-changed and thoroughly let down I feel that Edson is not our own hotline to the Manager.

I was led to believe that all we had to do was send a pm to Edson and the Forum's every wish would be granted.

This is simply not good enough and I personally expect a profuse apology from him for making me think that a man with 15 years experience of professional football would hang on our every collective word. Shame on you, Huw Griffiths.

Yep, you could be right, time needed to bed it down.

But Barnsley seemed to adapt to it better & they have a real fresh bunch of grey matter.

I think it needs to be said that Barnsley had a better grip of how to play the formation and it worked for them didn't it?

Not suggesting it will for us though.

Can I just add how disappointed, short-changed and thoroughly let down I feel that Edson is not our own hotline to the Manager.

I was led to believe that all we had to do was send a pm to Edson and the Forum's every wish would be granted.

This is simply not good enough and I personally expect a profuse apology from him for making me think that a man with 15 years experience of professional football would hang on our every collective word. Shame on you, Huw Griffiths.

I duly apologise.

Okay, I have to dash. I have a mate who works in IT, so I need to rush off and tell him how to do his job, despite my complete lack of experience in his field. Anyone else got any advice they want me to pass on to him?

As I stated after watching a few of the preseason games, I think 4-3-3 leaves us too narrow. Not only that, I just don't think the players understand it (be that because they just aren't clever enough footballers or whatever). I think Scott is a right winger and needs to be played as such if he's to be as influential as we all know he can be.

Obviously, I'm disappointed with one point from a possible six, as everyone is and I think changes should be made (not because I'm in the business of knee-jerk changes, but because the changes would be to play the team I always felt would be our best line up before we'd kicked a ball, having seen some of our preseason).

I think Miller should start in any forward line we put out, because he gives defenders different problems from any other forward we currently have at the club and he certainly seemed to have an influence when he came on last night(from what I heard).

If a defence only has to think about pace, then it is relatively easy to defend against it. If there is a dual threat of pace and physical presence, then defenders have more on their plates and are more likely to lose concentration or be overwhelmed, in my opinion.

Personally, I would start with a team not dissimilar to that of Bristol Boy's, but then, I'm not the manager and I certainly won't be ringing Tins up to tell him what I think, unless he asks me directly. But I'm sure he has friends with far more experience in footbal than me, if he wants an alternative opinion to his own.

My strong views on Danny Wilson only surfaced after three years or more of his management that I felt wasn't working. Tins has had two games and, while I would do it differently, I am prepared to give him slightly longer than 180 minutes to prove himself.

I had hoped that Tins wouldn't start games, as I felt his focus should be on managing the players and little has happened to change my opinion on that. Maybe he thinks he's the best option we have until Luke returns. I don't know, but that is my feeling and, for me, Luke can't come back soon enough.

Cheers Edson, Some excellent points & I reckon upon us seeing a few changes to the personel on Saturday.

180 mins of League footy has been a real early learning curve for Tinnion & I am sure while being his own man, he takes on board what appears on forums.

Good to talk & seek advice.

Hope the IT advice got through? :P

Tins has had two games and, while I would do it differently, I am prepared to give him slightly longer than 180 minutes to prove himself.

I have been working away (again) for the first couple of days this week and knew that when I returned there would be a lot of nonsense on this forum suggesting our season was already over, once again (despite his reputation :dunno: ) Edson is the voice of sanity.

180 minutes thats all. I also think that reaching the play offs two years running has put extra pressure on an inexperienced Manager and young players,if we had finished mid table last season the fans would be far more likely to give both the chance to "bed in" and learn their trade.

I duly apologise.

Okay, I have to dash. I have a mate who works in IT, so I need to rush off and tell him how to do his job, despite my complete lack of experience in his field. Anyone else got any advice they want me to pass on to him?

Edson, have you seen the film Airplane? These posts remind me of that scene at the airport where people are queing up at theinformation desk. The first two guys ask about flights & gates etc. then a woman comes up and asks if she should fake things in bed etc? Made I larf then and this thread reminded me of it.

While I'm on though, get Tinman to fine Scott 2 weeks wages will you? - No reason :dunno:

Yes, agree Edson has made some very interesting comments & it would have been nice to have seen them as a main heading rather than be asked how he felt.

But Hornbeamred, if you take a glance at many of the threads, you will see that much has been said about giving Tinnion more than just 180 mins & while there are the odd pathetic thread about Tinnions position, I think the majority have already echoed what Edson has confirmed.

Issue being that the Board want this club to gain promotion THIS season.Forget what has happened in DW's reign.Lansdown knows that the decision made to appt Tinnion is a gamble. BUT the honeymoon period will be short as the Manager & Board know that anything other than promotion in the 1st season will NOT be acceptable.

Can't imagine Tinnion or Lansdown saying that time will be given to bed things down! Yep, ok, we have a new Manager & he is looking for a new system with many new players, but if he didn't know he had to get us up this season, I am sure Tinnion wouldn't have gone into the job.

Or have we all been suckered into the fact that promotion is NOT expected this season & that Tinnion/Lansdown have a 3 year plan to get us up? Doubt it.

Archived