IGNORED

Huge progress made in academy quality

Major Isewater

As per title, the much maligned ,by some, academy has started to produce players who can affect the first team and hold their own in it. 
The critics of the academy claimed it was a waste of money , some citing Brentford’s academy closure as proof. 
Whilst it was true when we were in the third division  we blooded a few players who went onto to have decent careers with us and other lower league clubs , after our step up to Championship level the quality of the lads coming through wasn’t satisfactory.

Tinnion has done a fantastic job of finding and bringing through youngsters like Semenyo, Scott, Benarous… the academy has caught up with the first team.

Being a club who can’t buy our way to success having academy lads who have played alongside each other and have more of an emotional attachment to the City is in my opinion the only way that we can get a shot at the top division. Like our last success, it was founded on lads who ‘ grew up ‘ together and knew each other’s game. 
I am gently optimistic for the next season. I am hoping that Semenyo, at the very least , stays for another year. 

• Like 5

Good post Major. 

However we all know that this summer will be a crucial window and undoubtedly there’ll be bids for some of our starlets, particularly AS who’s been on the radar of PL and we all know that strikers are more highly prized that other positions. He’ll be gone if an acceptable  bid comes in. Same applies to Scott with PL outfits looking at him.

The sad reality is that City, like all Championship clubs are selling clubs especially when the riches of the PL come calling. Like everyone I’d be delighted if Semenyo is at AG next season but I’m not holding my breath.

• Thanks 1

Odd isn't it.

In theory, the lower down the pyramid you are the easier it is to produce kids who are good enough as the standard of League One opposition isn't going to be of the same standard as Championship football.

The fact it has taken for us to (hopefully) be considered a stable Championship club to start this production line underlines what a good job is being done.

• Like 1

I think what is working even better is the recruitment of talent from elsewhere at a younger age.

The youngish players who played today who had a non-traditional academy career from the age of 2 were Atkinson, Tanner, Cundy, Scott and Semenyo.  That's pretty impressive.

• Like 2