IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

21 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

No threat in behind. Wasteful in possession. Good finisher. 

Martin, Wells and Weimann have been here together long enough for someone to make them work as a combination. No-one has.

It's Semenyo that makes the forward line, the whole team, tick.

We're back to playing percentage football aimed at Chris Martin. 

Obviously it’s a loss but Wells is a tidy player despite what a lot of people say. We’re going to have to adapt our play to suit him though which we haven’t done previously. Weimann, Martin and Wells up top is fine for a month.

Nobody is going to come in and do what Semenyo does. That’s why there’s big clubs chasing him after a successful half season.

• Like 3

Not sure if I posted something similar on this thread a few weeks ago (or on some other platform), but…

…unpopular opinion…

…although Antoine’s injury is a blow (or life without him had he been sold - the thrust of my previous post) , it happening now, pre pre-season might not be as bad as many might think.  Why, you may ask?

My gut feel is that WSM is a bit rigid in what it means for the rest of system.  Great as it is offensively, it creates problems defensively / without the ball.  You can’t leave any of the three out, and therefore when we’ve played with a back 3, it means two CMs often left with too much ground to cover, but also leaving our WBs exposed at times too.  To play a back 4 we needed Williams to play as a front sweeper, I.e. dependent on one player, who has had injury problems.

What we need to stop thinking is “we’ve got nobody to replace Antoine like for like”.  Why does it have to be like for like?  What if we suddenly decide to play two number 10s instead (Weimann and Scott for example) behind Martin or Wells. Different skill sets required for that role, and it might also help us defensively too.  We could go with two up top and a conventional three man midfield behind.  It creates opportunities.

Pre-season is gonna have a different look to it now…but I don’t see it as doom and gloom.  We reached 9th in the table early last season before injuries struck.  That was without Antoine too.  Love him to bits, he’s the goat, but I don’t see a cause for panic.  Not just yet anyway! ?

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure if I posted something similar on this thread a few weeks ago (or on some other platform), but…

…unpopular opinion…

…although Antoine’s injury is a blow (or life without him had he been sold - the thrust of my previous post) , it happening now, pre pre-season might not be as bad as many might think.  Why, you may ask?

My gut feel is that WSM is a bit rigid in what it means for the rest of system.  Great as it is offensively, it creates problems defensively / without the ball.  You can’t leave any of the three out, and therefore when we’ve played with a back 3, it means two CMs often left with too much ground to cover, but also leaving our WBs exposed at times too.  To play a back 4 we needed Williams to play as a front sweeper, I.e. dependent on one player, who has had injury problems.

What we need to stop thinking is “we’ve got nobody to replace Antoine like for like”.  Why does it have to be like for like?  What if we suddenly decide to play two number 10s instead (Weimann and Scott for example) behind Martin or Wells. Different skill sets required for that role, and it might also help us defensively too.  We could go with two up top and a conventional three man midfield behind.  It creates opportunities.

Pre-season is gonna have a different look to it now…but I don’t see it as doom and gloom.  We reached 9th in the table early last season before injuries struck.  That was without Antoine too.  Love him to bits, he’s the goat, but I don’t see a cause for panic.  Not just yet anyway! ?

So if Antoine's presence makes us weaker defensively would it not make sense to sell him to the highest bidder and run with those other options?

If the improvement in our goals conceded were to more than offset any reduction in goals scored we might finish significantly higher up the table.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

So if Antoine's presence makes us weaker defensively would it not make sense to sell him to the highest bidder and run with those other options?

If the improvement in our goals conceded were to more than offset any reduction in goals scored we might finish significantly higher up the table.

As a simple answer, yes, that might be true. 

I guess the better, more complex answer, is one where Nige plans to evolve a system WITH Semenyo that works at both ends of the pitch, or one that takes “key-man dependency” out of the equation.  In particular our 3 signings, where does each fit in with that master plan.  I’m so intrigued to see how pre-season pans out…albeit gutted Antoine will be missing from it.

Looking back at last season where we went through pre-season into the first part of the season playing 4411/442, you wonder how that might’ve panned out with Semenyo, Martin, Wells and Weimann vying for those front-two slots?  Maybe he would’ve gone 433 straight off the bat.  Who knows.

Not sure if I’ve answered your post or not….let me know if it’s a bit hypothetical / ambiguous.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As a simple answer, yes, that might be true. 

I guess the better, more complex answer, is one where Nige plans to evolve a system WITH Semenyo that works at both ends of the pitch, or one that takes “key-man dependency” out of the equation.  In particular our 3 signings, where does each fit in with that master plan.  I’m so intrigued to see how pre-season pans out…albeit gutted Antoine will be missing from it.

Looking back at last season where we went through pre-season into the first part of the season playing 4411/442, you wonder how that might’ve panned out with Semenyo, Martin, Wells and Weimann vying for those front-two slots?  Maybe he would’ve gone 433 straight off the bat.  Who knows.

Not sure if I’ve answered your post or not….let me know if it’s a bit hypothetical / ambiguous.

Just some random points:

1. Nigel says he likes power and pace. Semenyo is the only one who fits the bill in the current squad.

2. He has said he prefers 4-3-1-2. Will he decide he has the squad to do that come the start of the season, given his signings?

3. James' and Williams' injury records mean we may need to sign 2 more midfielders. Though Owers may step up.

4. I prefer Scott as an 8, I think 10 doesn't make full use of his skill set. I'm not sure many teams play with a true 10 these days anyway.

5. So make our midfield a 6 and two 8s? By which I don't mean 22!

6. Er... that's it for now.?

As you say it's going to be interesting to see what Nigel does.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Just some random points:

1. Nigel says he likes power and pace. Semenyo is the only one who fits the bill in the current squad. ✅

2. He has said he prefers 4-3-1-2. Will he decide he has the squad to do that come the start of the season, given his signings? Think he said 433 at one point….but then definitely rebuked a reporter about our current set up being a front 3 (WSM) and said it’s a 2 and a 1.  I don’t know if that means that’s his preferred way of playing a front 3 though.

3. James' and Williams' injury records mean we may need to sign 2 more midfielders. Though Owers may step up. ✅

4. I prefer Scott as an 8, I think 10 doesn't make full use of his skill set. I'm not sure many teams play with a true 10 these days anyway. Me too ✅

5. So make our midfield a 6 and two 8s? By which I don't mean 22!  If it’s a flatter 3, then ✅

6. Er... that's it for now.?  ✅

As you say it's going to be interesting to see what Nigel does. ✅✅✅

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

…unpopular opinion…

I think the major issue for me is how static we looked at times last season without Semenyo. At times the player with the ball had the option of passing to or eight statues or Weimann, who was easy for teams to negate as he was the only mobile player to worry about.

That would be my main worry about Wells as a direct replacement. I feel both Wells and Martin need other players’ movement in order to play their game. I’m not convinced Scott and Weimann with Wells or Martin would produce that movement either but pre-season is a chance for Scott to prove me wrong or for one of Sykes, Conway or Bell to stake a claim.

21 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the major issue for me is how static we looked at times last season without Semenyo. At times the player with the ball had the option of passing to or eight statues or Weimann, who was easy for teams to negate as he was the only mobile player to worry about.

That would be my main worry about Wells as a direct replacement. I feel both Wells and Martin need other players’ movement in order to play their game. I’m not convinced Scott and Weimann with Wells or Martin would produce that movement either but pre-season is a chance for Scott to prove me wrong or for one of Sykes, Conway or Bell to stake a claim.

All fair points, although I like Wells’s movement.

We are gonna have to wait and see….all good debate though.

33 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

We were also static at times with him in the side,

That didn't change because of one player

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

All fair points, although I like Wells’s movement.

We are gonna have to wait and see….all good debate though.

I like Wells’ movement too - I just think it is different to Semenyo’s movement in that I think Wells is good at exploiting space created by others but Semenyo creates that space for others to exploit and that’s what we need to find a way ti replace.

As you say, we’ll have to wait and see. I reckon, this time last year, few of us would have backed Scott or Semenyo to develop to become as crucial as they became. Hopefully everyone outside the first team will see Semenyo’s absence as a chance to get in and make themselves undroppable.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2022 at 21:01, Ian M said:

I like the idea of Semenyo not being able to pass a medical in July or August :D

Handy that ?

A month or so into the season out- oh look window shut! Refreshed and ready to go plus helped by a break- and if we really need to sellable in Jan (not that I hope we sell him at all of course).

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 19/06/2022 at 21:29, LondonBristolian said:

................Hopefully everyone outside the first team will see Semenyo’s absence as a chance to get in and make themselves undroppable.

My thoughts also before your post, do you think Conway & Bell would be up for it, or is it too soon to expect that from them?

21 minutes ago, bpexile said:

My thoughts also before your post, do you think Conway & Bell would be up for it, or is it too soon to expect that from them?

I think they both would improve massively given the chance, Conwy has had a taste of the first team, and deserve more imo, same can be said for bell who's played and did a decent job in the most case out of position

You will never know if it's too early unless you actually give them a chance 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I think they both would improve massively given the chance, Conwy has had a taste of the first team, and deserve more imo, same can be said for bell who's played and did a decent job in the most case out of position

You will never know if it's too early unless you actually give them a chance 

Fully agree. At present Conway looks more of a physical goal threat than Bell who looks more like a supplier of goals but if either emerged as a serious starter I'd be happy. 

Not seen it mentioned anywhere above but wonder if this increases Sykes chances of starting?

Whatever happens it would be very brave to move a player who has just scored 22 in his best position to try to compensate for this blow.

Agree that we have no obvious like for like here, as is actually the case with Chris Martin, too.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not seen it mentioned anywhere above but wonder if this increases Sykes chances of starting?

Whatever happens it would be very brave to move a player who has just scored 22 in his best position to try to compensate for this blow.

Agree that we have no obvious like for like here, as is actually the case with Chris Martin, too.

I'd go with 2 up too with Scott in behind myself

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I alluded to this in my earlier thread that it might see a change in our set-up, meaning players get more opportunities.  You know I’m a “it’s a squad game” person, so I suspect certain players will get the opportunity to “take” Antoine’s minutes.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1