IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

Basically says that we will take up the year extension, that no breakthrough on an actual new contract yet but that his relationship with NP could be key to him staying.

https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/bond-with-nigel-pearson-offers-best-hope-that-bristol-city-can-hold-on-to-their-best-stars-3667245

I think we could have a tough decision to make in the next 12-18 months. Although 2 years away is 2 years away.

Feel free to merge if already a thread, stick it in the main forum if appropriate etc.

He also said his representatives have turned down two offers already. He'll be a massive loss but I think we should sell this transfer window to retain value in the player. Massengo will go this summer but for cheaper than we should get because of the lack of time left on his contract. We don't want to be in that situation or even worse a Diedhiou outcome in two years.

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

He also said his representatives have turned down two offers already. He'll be a massive loss but I think we should sell this transfer window to retain value in the player. 

If he carry's on his rate of progression next year, he will be worth even more. Get another year out of him, and then sell him. The club extending his deal is exactly the right thing to do.

• Like 12
  • Robin 1

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

If he carry's on his rate of progression next year, he will be worth even more. Get another year out of him, and then sell him. The club extending his deal is exactly the right thing to do.

Of course its the best thing to do but he'll only have a year left if he doesn't sign.

He's got prem clubs circling who will atleast triple his wages and he'll get to play in the top league that's very hard to compete with. If he has only one year remaining next year we are held to ransom by clubs knowing they'll get him via tribunal at the end of his contract on the cheap.

It's a tough decision. 

Do we run the risk of losing him this summer, but have the benefit of a bidding war commence amongst many teams, thus driving up his price. Bournemouth will have money to spend, and could surpass the Lloyd Kelly deal. 

Or do we enter into next season, hoping he replicates the fantastic form of this past season, and try to do all we can to secure him on a new contract. 

One thing we need to be sure of, is to not sell in January. The January market has proved to not be as high-spending as the summer. Therefore, if we are to sell, it must be now, or in a year's time. 

My main concern would be how well prepared are we for his departure. I struggle to see a like-for-like replacement that could arrive. The reason for this concern is that we seem to have a perfect blend of styles with Semenyo - Martin - Weimann. Bringing in a player with a different style of play would set us back to square one. 

We can't afford to see yet another key player run their contract down into the last year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gol said:

On the bournmouth end thwir local reporter thinks something could happen https://www.dorset.live/sport/football/football-news/cherries-mailbox-premier-league-prediction-7061460

6ACBC0A7-3D18-452B-953E-246AB272532C.jpeg

From that list of targets, they will be playing championship football again after one season. 

Good championship players, but surely they must be aiming higher. 

• Like 1

Think that Fulham will show their hand soon, too.

Should Forest win the playoffs it is highly likely that all 3 promoted sides will be in for him.

Seems probable to me that he will then be with one of them by the start of the new season.

Very difficult to replace, as we don’t have anyone on our books who possesses the same qualities as he does.

• Like 3

No thank be on the market we could replace him with that is similar either. Our whole existing style of play comes crashing down without his qualities. Weimann and Martin certainly wouldn’t be as successful. He’s a must keep for me. Long term deal with the promise of a sale at certain value should we not go up by end of next season

• Like 1

1 year contract extension will be triggered in couple weeks, so essentially he'll have 2 year contract.

We've offered new contracts and twice been rejected - even if a new contract is agreed it still wouldn't potentially stopping him moving if another club came in for him.

City obv have a selling price and will only sell IF this is met, the only other factor would be if Semenyo asks to leave......

IMO I dont think we'll be seeing Semenyo at the club next season, given his characteristics lots of Prem clubs (lower end) will be queuing up for him causing a bidding war. Just like the Kelly deal, it wouldnt surprise me if Bournemouth came in with early high bid to gazump other teams. 

15 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

He’s got another season in him hear with 2 years on his contract. No idea why people are panicking about losing him for free. Next we’ll be needing to cash in on players with 3 years left ‘just in case’

If he won't sign a new deal that's discouraging but otoh we do once the extension activated have 2 years to work on it...once it gets into the final 6-12 months though it's a worry.

10 minutes ago, brad blit said:

1 year contract extension will be triggered in couple weeks, so essentially he'll have 2 year contract.

We've offered new contracts and twice been rejected - even if a new contract is agreed it still wouldn't potentially stopping him moving if another club came in for him.

City obv have a selling price and will only sell IF this is met, the only other factor would be if Semenyo asks to leave......

IMO I dont think we'll be seeing Semenyo at the club next season, given his characteristics lots of Prem clubs (lower end) will be queuing up for him causing a bidding war. Just like the Kelly deal, it wouldnt surprise me if Bournemouth came in with early high bid to gazump other teams. 

As long as him and his agent know the kind of fee City would accept that’s fine.  If we get an offer at that valuation, assuming he wants to go, he’ll go.  It is what it is.  I don’t want him to go, I think he’d benefit from another season here….but my view is immaterial.

Would be a blow, but it’s how we react to it that counts.

Welded to a front 2 with one behind….suddenly other options come into play.  Could play Martin alone, with two behind him for example.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As long as him and his agent know the kind of fee City would accept that’s fine.  If we get an offer at that valuation, assuming he wants to go, he’ll go.  It is what it is.  I don’t want him to go, I think he’d benefit from another season here….but my view is immaterial.

Welded to a front 2 with one behind….suddenly other options come into play.  Could play Martin alone, with two behind him for example.

I agree, he needs another year of championship football.

I do think that as difficult as he is to replace now might be the best time for him to go. Hugely important player but we aren't particularly tied to a style/system at the moment. In 12 months time, when we're hopefully entrenched in one way of playing, all of a sudden we need a much more specific profile of player to replace him. 

Appreciate it's not football manager but if we can we should be offering key first team player wages, if he won't sign this summer then we have our answer and start to plan for life without him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If we were a possession team - and we know the answer to that because Pearson says after every game that we're not. 

If Semenyo leaves, how we replace him determines our entire season.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4

I think we would have been in a proper relegation battle had he not returned around Christmas time.

His pace and power gives us another dimension and allows us to play more in the final third, which in turn, helps both Martin and Weimann.

I would love to see him stay but if we start receiving big bids then i fear he will be off.

• Like 2

Definitely gives us a new dimension, and the opposition something to think about as a result.

Had a quick look, not bothered to dive into starts vs sub appearances etc but with him in the side we have gained 39 pts from 30 games- although that said, it says he has played 31 this season on Sofascore in the Championship but I counted them and it came to 30. Nope checked again, 31 it is.

Either way undoubtedly more effective and dangerous with him than without.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

From that list of targets, they will be playing championship football again after one season. 

Good championship players, but surely they must be aiming higher. 

In theory although Championship players form a lower base can be taken further and higher with the right management- see Bournemouth under Howe, Wilder year 1 at Sheffield United, Brentford currently, Leeds under Bielsa year 1.

Of course it is then a question as to how highly we rate Scott Parker to do loads with less. Pretty modest or less IMO. Don't see him as anything special just yet- showered with resources at this level so far.

5 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Do both parties have to agree to the year extension? 

Club can activate it unilaterally I believe. Every contract different though probably.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been told this morning that Fulham are interested along with several other clubs. That may or may not be news to some! 

Either way it seems a bidding war is brewing up nicely. 

what’s the most ever paid for a Championship player, anyone know?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’ve been told this morning that Fulham are interested along with several other clubs. That may or may not be news to some! 

Either way it seems a bidding war is brewing up nicely. 

what’s the most ever paid for a Championship player, anyone know?

Ollie Watkins £33m (according to google)

Jarrod Bowen is next at £22m after scoring bag fulls of goals.

Semenyo will be £15-20m but only if we want to sell and I wouldn't for less than £25m

Edited by Sir Geoff
extra text

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Ollie Watkins £33m (according to google)

Jarrod Bowen is next at £22m after scoring bag fulls of goals.

Semenyo will be £15-20m but only if we want to sell and I wouldn't for less than £25m

There’s a fair chance Antoine could go to the World Cup with Ghana.  If he plays, and plays well, his value could rocket.  Definitely worth holding onto until at least Jan 2023.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malago said:

There’s a fair chance Antoine could go to the World Cup with Ghana.  If he plays, and plays well, his value could rocket.  Definitely worth holding onto until at least Jan 2023.

Yes there are multiple factors aren’t there. It’s a matter of resistance. The kid is hotter than a hot thing on heat, whether we like it or not. At what level can City resist to this summer? My personal opinion is what if any sell ons we get. Webster, Brownhill, Kelly all have interest but there are others, for example Ayling etc. Then you look at HNM, Kalas, Scott, Weimann etc all with obvious value. Palmer probably will require support but slightly lower league clubs mat be interested in Janneh, Vyner among others. Yep multiple factors as you allude!

Edited by REDOXO

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

Money talks, and IMHO he is not going anywhere this summer for anything under £20M It will take a very very large number, because for once, the club wants to try and get promoted with these players. Pearson it would seem has not asked for transfer money as such (as it is not there anyway)  but to keep the best players we develop together for a reasonable time to enable progress

I remember seeing an interview with Mourinho where he made some interesting points around this.

He essentially stated that the key piece of business his Porto side did in going from Europa League winners to Champions League winners was to simply hold onto their best players.