IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

I'm up in Scotland at present, on a mental health break and a good mate of mine, his son plays for Celtic's B side having broken through their academy and has just been offered a promotion to the first team. Celtic are very keen on signing Semenyo according to my mate and have sent someone to watch him play for Ghana. My mate has said that whilst the club have not come out and stated that they want him, he is led to believe from his contacts within the side, that Celtic have two priority signings to make this summer and he believes Semenyo is one of them.

If Celtic do come knocking, I think its fair to say its bye bye Antoine. 

6 minutes ago, robin for life said:

I'm up in Scotland at present, on a mental health break and a good mate of mine, his son plays for Celtic's B side having broken through their academy and has just been offered a promotion to the first team. Celtic are very keen on signing Semenyo according to my mate and have sent someone to watch him play for Ghana. My mate has said that whilst the club have not come out and stated that they want him, he is led to believe from his contacts within the side, that Celtic have two priority signings to make this summer and he believes Semenyo is one of them.

Celtics record signing is £9m.

They will not be going up to the 15/20 mark city would want.

I also echo what brad blit said ⬆️

Edited by super slick
  • Like 3

Just now, brad blit said:

Before anything is said bud, Good Luck and enjoy the Mental Health break - its one thing to recognise the issue, and another thing to actively do something about it

Thanks, it's been a common theme in recent times. Getting away from the world with the dog helps a lot. A lot of people think talking helps, but it often doesn't and meds definitely do nothing. Time, space, relaxation and forgetting the world and getting your own head straight is normally the only thing that does and you can never do that staring at the same 4 walls all the time. 

• Like 13

34 minutes ago, robin for life said:

Celtics knock won’t be loud enough. They just won’t be able to afford him. Have a feeling we’ll be holding out for near 20m for him. Out of the 3 youngsters he’s the one who’s performing the best for the team and has the most input in games, definitely be the hardest to replace as well. I get Celtic are a big team in Scotland but I’d be disappointed if he went there. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, super slick said:

Think he is far more likely to join one of the 3 promoted sides than Celtic, Bournemouth are supposed to be very interested.

3 hours ago, super slick said:

This. Celtic just cannot compete in the English market like they could 10-15 years ago.

As huge of a club as they are as you have rightly pointed out the most they have ever spent on a player is £9m. They would have to double that and a bit more to get Semenyo and not a chance they will be doing that.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Think he is far more likely to join one of the 3 promoted sides than Celtic, Bournemouth are supposed to be very interested.

You are probably right Graham , but how f***** depressing if we lose one of the best forward prospects in decades ...

to f***** Bournemouth 

It would seem more palatable to lose him to a top half Prem side , but I think , unfortunately your scenario far more likely - losing our better players is painful , but becoming a feeder club for tinpot clubs like Bournemouth is something else

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

6 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

You are probably right Graham , but how f***** depressing if we lose one of the best forward prospects in decades ...

to f***** Bournemouth 

It would seem more palatable to lose him to a top half Prem side , but I think , unfortunately your scenario far more likely - losing our better players is painful , but becoming a feeder club for tinpot clubs like Bournemouth is something else

Isn’t this what Luton fans are saying about Naismith and us?

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Isn’t this what Luton fans are saying about Naismith and us?

Slight difference between 30 year old Naismith already at his peak and 22 year old Semenyo who has just has his breakout season in the championship and been called up for Ghana...

52 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Slight difference between 30 year old Naismith already at his peak and 22 year old Semenyo who has just has his breakout season in the championship and been called up for Ghana...

As well as the financial advantage Bournemouth currently have over us, because they splashed out, well above their weight and reaped the benefits. Big catchment area but, large ageing population of London retirees.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

As well as the financial advantage Bournemouth currently have over us, because they splashed out, well above their weight and reaped the benefits. Big catchment area but, large ageing population of London retirees.

apart from the seafront/pier area the rest of it is a shithole going the way of blackpool .........

1 minute ago, archie andrews said:

apart from the seafront/pier area the rest of it is a shithole going the way of blackpool .........

Is it? I've driven around lot's of the main routes and been suitably impressed by the scale and amount of large housing, possibly retirement flats now. It is renowned for being a wealthy area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

I don’t see it as that different. Someone is suggesting that mighty Bristol City, who have never played in the premier league, should not sell a player to a ‘tinpot’ club like Bournemouth, who have spent 5 out of the last 7 seasons in the premier league and will do so again next season. It is laughable. Bournemouth are, and have been for some time, years ahead of us.

As for being called up by Ghana, as much of an achievement this is, let’s not forget their first choice keeper was our third choice keeper and currently plays in league 2. Not quite the force they were a few years ago.

Edit: The difference between the two scenarios will be the fee we receive from who signs Semenyo. But regardless who of that is, it will be a huge move for him even if our fans don’t see it that way.

Edited by formerly known as ivan
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I don’t see it as that different. Someone is suggesting that mighty Bristol City, who have never played in the premier league, should not sell a player to a ‘tinpot’ club like Bournemouth, who have spent 5 out of the last 7 seasons in the premier league and will do so again next season. It is laughable. Bournemouth are, and have been for some time, years ahead of us.

As for being called up by Ghana, as much of an achievement this is, let’s not forget their first choice keeper was our third choice keeper and currently plays in league 2. Not quite the force they were a few years ago.

Edit: The difference between the two scenarios will be the fee we receive from who signs Semenyo. But regardless who of that is, it will be a huge move for him even if our fans don’t see it that way.

Wigan were similar to Bournemouth, found their level again now without the wealth behind them and they missed out on the real riches. There was a time when clubs had to have a reasonably large supporter base to be able to compete, now as with Bournemouth and similar clubs, it's no longer the case. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I wouldn’t of thought Celtic could afford him . They do have a extra £40m in the pot though having qualified for the champions league group stages

I would have thought they could, but more of an all in as opposed to part of a big old spend.

Certainly FFP wise it would be doable- but if they saw Semenyo as their big and main one yes I would say possible. Of course they don't splash big in any event but they could if they wanted.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would have thought they could, but more of an all in as opposed to part of a big old spend.

Certainly FFP wise it would be doable- but if they saw Semenyo as their big and main one yes I would say possible. Of course they don't splash big in any event but they could if they wanted.

As anyone who follows my posts on here they will notice, like most Scots, that I detest both of the ugly sisters.

But, in all honesty , Celtic, would NOT be a good move for the lad. Yes, CL football, but that is all they have going for them, the standard, although improving, is low.

IF, he is going to move and assuming we get the right offer, he could maybe consider a European move, it could well be beneficial to his long term career if he went to Germany or Italy.

For example, the young Scottish left back Hickey, went to Bologna from Hearts last year for £2m , now being touted for £15m to to the EPL.

( not suggesting that we take £2m , far from it, but for the lads development it may be an option for him).

15 hours ago, robin for life said:

Thanks, it's been a common theme in recent times. Getting away from the world with the dog helps a lot. A lot of people think talking helps, but it often doesn't and meds definitely do nothing. Time, space, relaxation and forgetting the world and getting your own head straight is normally the only thing that does and you can never do that staring at the same 4 walls all the time. 

So true, I think that's why I enjoy my time alone fishing, I get out in the boat where no-one can bother me & just think about the good things. I quite often come home without fish but who cares, the therapeutic gains far out way the lack of fish.

Good luck with your relaxation mate :clap:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, robin for life said:

Celtic can't afford him, unless they cough up 20 million (our valuation) and make him Scotland most expensive ever transfer (currently 12 million for flo) then he is going no where

• Like 1

I'm just hoping we don't have to deal with West Ham. I wasn't impressed with them with their dealings with Brentford over Benrahma, where they had everything agreed, got the player to agreed to the move, then were like we want to changed the deal. We'll pay to loan him for the season and then buy him....

9 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Rubbish

It's a vibrant University City now - loads of young 'uns have headed to the coast to study.

New shopping centres, heaps of new clubs, and loads to restoration / revamping going on.

I used to live in the New Forest - Bournemouth was never a dump.

Vibrant and exciting City now

Edited by The Constant Rabbit
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Rubbish

It's a vibrant University City now - loads of young 'uns have headed to the coast to study.

New shopping centres, heaps of new clubs, and loads to restoration / revamping going on.

I used to live in the New Forest - Bournemouth was never a dump.

Vibrant and exciting City now

Like i said seafront winter gardens etc still nice rest of it a shithole eg pokesdown.... 

15 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

As anyone who follows my posts on here they will notice, like most Scots, that I detest both of the ugly sisters.

But, in all honesty , Celtic, would NOT be a good move for the lad. Yes, CL football, but that is all they have going for them, the standard, although improving, is low.

IF, he is going to move and assuming we get the right offer, he could maybe consider a European move, it could well be beneficial to his long term career if he went to Germany or Italy.

For example, the young Scottish left back Hickey, went to Bologna from Hearts last year for £2m , now being touted for £15m to to the EPL.

( not suggesting that we take £2m , far from it, but for the lads development it may be an option for him).

I am just suggesting that they could do it financially- whether it's a good career move is debatable- although development as you say.

They could take a bit more of a risk in the market Celtic, but Germany or Italy is an interesting shout.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I am just suggesting that they could do it financially- whether it's a good career move is debatable- although development as you say.

They could take a bit more of a risk in the market Celtic, but Germany or Italy is an interesting shout.

I don't know, Bournemouth could be an inspired move. Short term it'll get him into the Premier league where he can showcase his talent against some of the best players in the world. That and if his agent is good he could demand a minimum release and/relegation  clause added to his contract. 

What better way to earn a dream move than to terrorise a top half PL defence in the media glare.

On 31/05/2022 at 07:48, GrahamC said:

Their local reporter seems to think so. Forest is my bet however, they had a bid rejected at the end of January. He would fit their style of play and cooper has a proven record of developing players

I would be  disappointed to see him go this summer but I feel it is likely with the interest in him