IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

Antoine is in his last year with us at best. If he were to go I’d expect 12-15m with add ons. He is premier league ready despite what some say. Don’t confuse that with he will still need to grow as a player while there. His pace and power will cause problems against almost anyone. Antoine forces you to be switched on at all times or he has embarrassed you. Hate to see him go but it is inevitable imo. Just get the best fee(12-15m imo no lower than 10m) and try and get better everywhere else. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If he does go, I think it’ll be the player I’ll be most disappointed about for many years. Not that I’d begrudge him the move, just that I’ve really enjoyed watching his development.

It’s rare to find a player with such athleticism and (ever increasing) end product. His goal against Fulham where he held off two players with sheer pace and strength is one of my favourite City goals for a long time.

Can I just echo this last bit.

I voted it as my champagne moment, I truly struggle to remember a better goal of recent times & think that it has been largely forgotten because we got hammered that day.

Incredible goal, well worth watching again.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 6

James Piercy also reporting nothing happening: "Reports that Bristol City star Antoine Semenyo has left the Ghana camp to pursue a move away from Ashton Gate are wide of the mark, Bristol Live understands. Instead, Semenyo has an injury and has withdrawn from the Kirin Cup semi-final against Japan as a precaution.".

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/truth-bristol-city-ace-antoine-7164167

11 hours ago, The Bard said:

Do wonder about some people and their understanding of what decides a transfer fee.  

He has 1 year plus a 1 year option that we have exercised or will exercise.  We are therefore in no hurry to sell.  The idea that we will accept £8 million in that scenario is laughable.  We paid that for our centre half!

If he goes for under £20 million I will be really disappointed in the club.   If he has a decent season he will fetch £15 million.  A good season a lot more.  You can't coach a lot of what he has but you can coach him to use what he has more effectively which a side like West Ham will probably do.....

I do wonder about people and their understanding of anything ?

Very much hope he's content to stay and City instead concentrate on getting the best fee possible for Massengo, and perhaps Kalas, to alleviate financial concerns.

We're not going up next season and Antoine's dynamism - not to mention assists and goals - can make all the difference to a season with almost certainly no palpable success still being enjoyable and entertaining.

As for the fee if he does go, couldn't put a figure on it but the sky's the limit for such an eye-catching young player with such potential for further improvement, especially if several clubs are interested, and the fee would surely have be very high to reflect that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Selred said:

Yes but we have no money. So we need to sell players and invest wisely
Until we see who we sign with the money, we can’t say it’s pie in the sky. I have far more confidence under NP than Ashton 

I’m not saying now, but at some point that cycle needs to end otherwise we’re just going tread water.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

James Piercy also reporting nothing happening: "Reports that Bristol City star Antoine Semenyo has left the Ghana camp to pursue a move away from Ashton Gate are wide of the mark, Bristol Live understands. Instead, Semenyo has an injury and has withdrawn from the Kirin Cup semi-final against Japan as a precaution.".

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/truth-bristol-city-ace-antoine-7164167

Right, so he's crocked, will be out for a year, and never be the same again.

46 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Can I just say, I find the BEPs habit of using the phrase “wide of the mark” on every other story the most annoying piece of writing ever. I thought it had gone with Gregor, where you seem to pull a string in his back and he says it, but now Piercy (better writer) has caught it too.

Rumours that they have a large vocabulary are “wide of the mark”. Just say “wrong” or “incorrect”.

I don’t think a phrase has narked me this much since “brainchild”. It’s a ****ing idea!

(Sorry for imposing on your post, got triggered!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Olé said:

"The club had asked Garth to take a look at this lad called Jamie Vardy .... " So Vardy was already somewhere on the Leicester "radar." Or known about, to some extent. It wasn't a scout taking in a random game and seeing some one and some thing no-one had seen before. I would imagine even us lot on here could see Vardy had "pace."

The decision to pay a record for a non-league player when signing Vardy was perhaps as much the interesting part of the story - and relevant to us now - as the "finding" of this undiscovered talent.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brad blit said:

It’s one of these random type of tweets that seems most reliable, obviously we have no idea on the reliability of these 2 guys but they look like official national team reporters and that will give them good source of knowledge. Being allowed to leave camp early “to sort Bristol City future” dosnt look good….

Semenyo was always going to be the one player we sell that would be hard to replace, but because of his characteristic’s he going to be wanted by many Prem clubs and it’s gonna take a big offer for anything to be accepted at this early stage in window. 

I’d say it’s got to be 15mil upfront with various add ons taking closer to 20min, but it trust club will be prepared and have someone (or 2) in mind 

Step forward Nahki Wells. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Very much hope he's content to stay and City instead concentrate on getting the best fee possible for Massengo, and perhaps Kalas, to alleviate financial concerns.

We're not going up next season and Antoine's dynamism - not to mention assists and goals - can make all the difference to a season with almost certainly no palpable success still being enjoyable and entertaining.

As for the fee if he does go, couldn't put a figure on it but the sky's the limit for such an eye-catching young player with such potential for further improvement, especially if several clubs are interested, and the fee would surely have be very high to reflect that.

How can you say ‘ we’re not going up’ ? Stranger things have happened and if we add to the quality already here there is no reason why we can’t. 

• Like 3

I would be gutted to see Antione leave as I think he's the 'real deal' but it won't come as a surprise TBH as we need a major sale and, including Han Noah, he's probably the most eye catching / sought after. 

My fear is that we lose ALL of the 3 bright young things, that would be hard to take.

I've been trying to think of front men, of a similar power, that caused us problems at the Gate, the first one that came to mind was Clarke Harris who I was impressed with TBH.

Overall, let's hope it's garbage as I want another year of Antione in BS3.

• Like 2

I know I am in the minority, but personally I would sell Semenyo and Massengo this summer. I think 20m for the pair is realistic and it sorts out the financial mess we are in, and probably gives 4-5m to Pearson to reinvest.

The one to keep is Scott, if he shines next year, he's a 25m+ player.

Semenyo has 1 year + 1 year left. he is 22 and will be 24 when his contract expires, so he can leave on a free, no tribunal, nothing.

We may exercise the extension, but say we are mid table, next year he will be in his final year, and it will be well known foreign clubs can sign him in the January for free, and domestic clubs the following summer. The offers next year will be less than they are now, regardless how good a year he has. He isn't a 20 year old, who is covered by compensation, he is 22, and when his contract expires he can walk for free. The club know this. Now or January (if he starts the season brightly) are the most valuable times to sell him. If we turn down 8-12m for him now and he's leaving for 3-4m next summer, then we have made a huge error.

Edited by robin for life
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

If we are ever going to progress , we have to keep players like Antoine until it is essential to sell , that would be next summer .  The Championship outside parachute clubs is up for grabs , and a player like Antoine makes the difference .  We need 12 months from him and I hope the club will hold firm , otherwise we are never going to get a sniff at play offs ( promotion) . We only had a partial season from him and he was getting better all the time . The club are certainly aiming much higher next season and will achieve that by keeping the special players .

You can never say never , we know that , but it would /should take a huge fee this summer . Huge.

One more season please 

I regard Antoine as a modern Atyeo, Cheesley and Ritchie. Their status for creating, leading the team and scoring is different for each one compared to Antoine. Yet, the selling of any one of those, would have undermined City's success.

I also am aware that Pearson is one who regards sheer pace as totally important to the way we play. Thus Semenyo is our version of the lead attacker at Leicester City,  Jamie Vardy, and remember how important he was in the side that amazingly won the Premier League.

At this time, any other one can be replaced. Antoine Semenyo is not!

18 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

How can you say ‘ we’re not going up’ ? Stranger things have happened 

Yes, but only twice. In 120 years, or whatever it is. So you can say: "we're not going up" using our history as your "source" and be reasonably confident in your prediction. You can go on to look at the record of relegated clubs bouncing straight back up and the inequality of the division, should you feel the need for further reassurance that "we're not going up." 

The "strangest" thing that ever happened here was being relegated three seasons in succession. That, we've only managed once.

14 minutes ago, robin for life said:

. If we turn down 8-12m for him now and he's leaving for 3-4m next summer, then we have made a huge error.

But not if we are promoted. 

25 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

How can you say ‘ we’re not going up’ ? Stranger things have happened and if we add to the quality already here there is no reason why we can’t. 

As much as I can see City progressing to a top half team finish - which I'd be quite satisfied with btw - I really can't see us going from 17th to getting promoted.

That's so unlikely as to be unrealistic imo., therefore I want the football at AG to be as entertaining and free scoring as possible. Us fans deserve that imo after a number of fairly bleak years at the Gate.

Keeping Antoine for another year is key to that imo., and incidentally may be best for his own progression too.

We obviously see things differently - I look forward to your contribution to the new season's Mildly Interesting BCFC Prediction Comp!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As much as I can see City progressing to a top half team finish - which I'd be quite satisfied with btw - I really can't see us going from 17th to getting promoted.

That's so unlikely as to be unrealistic imo., therefore I want the football at AG to be as entertaining and free scoring as possible. Us fans deserve that imo after a number of fairly bleak years at the Gate.

Forest 20-21 finished 17th

Forest 21-22…….

Just saying ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Step forward Nahki Wells. 

That’s a sensible comment. (You’ve done a few of these lately.  I hope you’re ok, as I like the old version).  His attitude has been good whilst not starting and NP seems to like him. Obviously his salary is a problem but if he stays and plays it would mean City get a “new” forward with no transfer fee. It would give City time to see if players like Bell and Conway can make it at Championship level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

"The club had asked Garth to take a look at this lad called Jamie Vardy .... " So Vardy was already somewhere on the Leicester "radar." Or known about, to some extent. It wasn't a scout taking in a random game and seeing some one and some thing no-one had seen before. I would imagine even us lot on here could see Vardy had "pace."

The decision to pay a record for a non-league player when signing Vardy was perhaps as much the interesting part of the story - and relevant to us now - as the "finding" of this undiscovered talent.

Vardy was 25 1/2 when he signed also.  I hadn’t appreciated he was at an age where most would’ve thought he was playing at his peak.

Its why I don’t dismiss the likes of Cole Stockton (27) and Daniel Udoh (25) who’ve had far from stellar early careers.

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

That’s a sensible comment. (You’ve done a few of these lately.  I hope you’re ok, as I like the old version).  His attitude has been good whilst not starting and NP seems to like him. Obviously his salary is a problem but if he stays and plays it would mean City get a “new” forward with no transfer fee. It would give City time to see if players like Bell and Conway can make it at Championship level. 

If Antoine did get sold, you could even try to renegotiate a deal with Wells, try to get him to accept a lower wage for an extra year.  He’s still fit, doesn’t get injured, and appears to be good with the younger players.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If Antoine did get sold, you could even try to renegotiate a deal with Wells, try to get him to accept a lower wage for an extra year.  He’s still fit, doesn’t get injured, and appears to be good with the younger players.

This. The most logical option all round. Say he's on 20K now, say you go right how about we guarantee you football this year, we pay you £15,000 a week, you're helping our wage bill, but in return we'll give you a 2 year extension on 10K a week for the following two seasons, with appearance, goal and win bonuses, so if we win and score, you'll get 15K that week.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robin for life said:

This. The most logical option all round. Say he's on 20K now, say you go right how about we guarantee you football this year, we pay you £15,000 a week, you're helping our wage bill, but in return we'll give you a 2 year extension on 10K a week for the following two seasons, with appearance, goal and win bonuses, so if we win and score, you'll get 15K that week.

Why would we guarantee him football? 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KegCity said:

I’m not saying now, but at some point that cycle needs to end otherwise we’re just going tread water.

But that's what we need to do for a few years, tread water, and repair the damage ashton has done to the club,

Selling 1 player for 20 million isn't going to solve it, another few years of steady progress will 

• Like 2