IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

Latest (earlier today) from Daily Record re Celtic interest:

Another attacker who has been linked is Bristol City striker Antoine Semenyo but any deal there will likely have to wait til his business with Ghana finishes on June 10.

He made his debut in the 3-0 win over Madagascar on Wednesday night and Ghana hero Awudu Issaka was pleased with what he saw. Although he reckons Semenyo is far from your traditional front man.

"I see him as a playmaker and not a striker," he said. "He is very mobile and has good movements.

"He tackles as well, he plays in the same role as Jordan but he's mobile and industrious.

"He is good on both the left and the right side. He knows how to curl the ball and he is strong and forceful.

"If he is given his opportunity, he should do his best because in Ghana normally, when you are talented, you get attacks.

"He should be focused and think about Ghana. What we need now is someone who can partner him."

I’d he goes to Celtic, think we will be very disappointed with the transfer fee - they ain’t gonna pay anywhere near the £20m people seem to think we will get for him….

Just hope that Nige gets a decent chunk of the money (however much that is) to replace AS ??

2 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Gonna have to be sorted pretty quickly if this tweet is true - Ghana play Japan next Friday morning 

Just now, Rocky said:

There’s no way he’d come all the way back to the UK to sort a new deal with City.  He’s off £8M + add ons I reckon. 

£20M is day dream predictions. 

lets agree to disagree...

Just now, Wiltshire robin said:

I hope if he goes it is for big money but for example kodjia was a 20 goal a season striker and he didn’t go for 20 million

I think had Kodjia gone a year or two later he probably would’ve done - that seemed to be the peak for big fees at our level pre-Covid.

I think 20m (especially as a flat fee) for Semenyo is unrealistic, but I don’t think it’ll be low necessarily. Kodjia was a few years older and IMO Semenyo will go on to have a better career. It’s the potential to improve that warrants a large fee.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think had Kodjia gone a year or two later he probably would’ve done - that seemed to be the peak for big fees at our level pre-Covid.

I think 20m (especially as a flat fee) for Semenyo is unrealistic, but I don’t think it’ll be low necessarily. Kodjia was a few years older and IMO Semenyo will go on to have a better career. It’s the potential to improve that warrants a large fee.

Plus the fact he’s got everything you want in a striker. Quick, strong, tall, can use both feet very well aswell as adding goals and assists this season. At least 15m surely

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I hope if he goes it is for big money but for example kodjia was a 20 goal a season striker and he didn’t go for 20 million

Was a little while ago now , the market is a completely different animal now , we will want Kelly money at least I believe 

£20M is a good figure to bandy around but I'm not sure it will be achieved. Looking at the championship players being talked about at the moment only Djed Spence may go for that sort of money. No one is talking such figures for Rothwell, Lewis-Potter or even Andre Gray with his goalscoring pedigree. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

£20M is a good figure to bandy around but I'm not sure it will be achieved. Looking at the championship players being talked about at the moment only Djed Spence may go for that sort of money. No one is talking such figures for Rothwell, Lewis-Potter or even Andre Gray with his goalscoring pedigree. 

With respect.

Rothwell is OOC and on a free

Gray is OOC and on a free

Spence is a RB and won’t attract that type of fee.

A young striker with huge upside is a totally different matter.

• Like 11

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Rothwell and Gray are both out of contract. 

Djed Spence is difficult to compare as full backs often cost less than attackers, but will still go for good money. 

The big draw for Semenyo is the number of Prem teams that require a player like him. West Ham, Southampton, Bournemouth, Forest, Brighton, Brentford and potentially even Everton could all benefit from a player such as him, whether that be as a starter or as cover. 

• Like 1

Gregor: Antoine Semenyo? Understand stories of an imminent transfer are wide of the mark. Nothing doing. Have a good weekend all. #BristolCity ?

Confirmed that he’s off. Thanks for the memories Antoine. Should be announced before the end of this weekend I guess. 

Edited by Selred

All speculation , but.

He isn't flying home to sign a new deal with us. That could be done any time.

It looks like we have accepted an offer.

If we have a contract until 2023, massively more potential than Kodjia, only 22. We aren't letting him go cheaply.

The thing is, what is a good fee in the current market ?

Semenyo is , IMO, the most important player in the current squad, you just don't find quick strong strikers like him every day. Whatever the fee, it's a blow to next years potential.  For him to go it has to be a Prem side, which means it could be good money. For us to accept so quickly, maybe very good. I don't think high teens is out o the question. But even getting £20m would be disappointing when we looked like building something. That's not to say we can't build a side, just that it's harder to replace good players.

There could be several Teams interested. They know others will be interested. To get a quick deal done the first one in will want to put in such a deal as to make us happy not to play for time and to get it done quickly. All points to good money, specially as it's so early in the window. 

I look forward to a mad bidding war. ....... hopefully

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

A young striker with huge upside is a totally different matter.

People have talked about Scott and HNM as possibly attracting bids. Antoine always seemed to me to be far more likely to go. For me, he is the one we can least afford to lose. A lot of our goal threat relied on him. Which is why he will be in demand. 

I really worry about the impact of losing him. We will need to replace him with someone with pace and power up front or a lot of the attacking threat will be gone. 

Really think he’s not ready for the step up yet. His goal scoring record still isn’t fantastic and his decision making can still be erratic albeit massively improved over the last few years.

Think he would benefit with one more season,  being the main man starting every week, but if a ludicrous offer comes in we can’t turn it down due to our finances. We can easily barter for 20 million plus add ons sell on fees etc. 

• Like 2

I like Semenyo and his pace and strength made a huge difference to the 2nd half of our season, however if we receive a big bid (£12 mill plus) and Nige has the opportunity to recruit a couple of forwards, then so be it.

I'm not sure he's ever going to be a classic 20 goal a season centre forward (in the Prem) but he certainly has ability.

If he stays then i think he will be a real handful in The Champ next season, but if he moves on then hopefully Nige can continue to recruit well.

Disaster if true. I was hoping we could keep him for another season. Without his pace and power our attack is neutered. The threat will have gone. Where we find another young, strong and fast 2 footed striker to terrorise championship defenses on our budget is mission impossible. Just hope it is not true. But if we have sold him then let's hope we receive a very large fee. As for building a team to challenge for promotion, yet again that is pie in the sky at Bristol City.

• Like 1

Hopefully Semenyo stays. He's so important to us and will be very difficult to replace. As others have said, I also think he'd benefit from another season in the Championship (at least in a purely footballing sense).

Were he to go, I think the fee would be fairly big. Am I right in thinking the club said they value him at around £15m? My instinct is that Pearson is much more bullish about keeping our best young players than the previous regime, and we'll be unlikely to budge from our valuations.

Let's hope Gregor is correct and there's nothing in the story.