IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

As long as him and his agent know the kind of fee City would accept that’s fine.  If we get an offer at that valuation, assuming he wants to go, he’ll go.  It is what it is.  I don’t want him to go, I think he’d benefit from another season here….but my view is immaterial.

Would be a blow, but it’s how we react to it that counts.

Welded to a front 2 with one behind….suddenly other options come into play.  Could play Martin alone, with two behind him for example.

Scott in behind martin and weimann i guess?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Scott in behind martin and weimann i guess?

I quite like the idea of Martin on his own with two behind, Weimann being one of them. Scott, I still fancy playing in a more conventional CM role, coming from deeper.  Maybe Sykes might fit the bill?

I felt like he would stay with previous links to Forest, Palace iirc but this link to Bournemouth really worries me. 

That's the type of player they would sign and then maybe sell on for more like Kelly, Wilson, Ake and Mings. 

Martin and Weimann without Semenyo is a massive difference. Always look less dangerous whenever he comes off for Wells or whoever.

Unless Conway comes in and is given an opportunity, we would really have to invest smartly in another forward with pace. 

Hopefully they get starry-eyed in the Prem and look at other options instead.

• Like 1

I think out of all the players in the squad, he's the most difficult to replace, with Andi a very close 2nd. Would be gutted if he left as just have a feeling next season his and Weimann numbers will be swapped around. Then we're looking at double of what we can get now. Scott and HNM to go before Semenyo does, if we are looking to cash in that is. 

• Like 2

If we really want to keep our best players and Semenyo doesn’t have a release clause in his contract (I doubt he does), City should stand firm and sell next summer. 

Semenyo comes across as a grounded, humble lad and doesn’t strike me as the sort to sulk if we don’t play ball, and as others have said, he’d benefit from another season with us. 

I hate the thought of him going to a club like Bournemouth. A tiny club who will return to this level in 2023/24. It would be a step down for Semenyo IMO.

• Like 1

I don’t think we will sell him this summer, I think our model has changed slightly. Under previous CEO Semenyo would be all but gone already, with all parties involved gaining a nice bit of dough and limelight along the way. In fact I would imagine we would’ve been actively talking to agents. Of course, under the old model a replacement would’ve been bought, who again would’ve suited all parties from a financial perspective. 

New regime won’t turn down a crazy offer - which I think only a few prem clubs would do, but will try and get him to Jan 23 minimum before we cash in. Fairly confident he will be here first game of season, really hope I am right!

Some interesting points made so far, from my perspective AS is clearly a talent and on his day and in the mood is a total handful for defenders, but not convinced he is Prem ready yet, as in some games this year, notably Forest, the defenders had him sussed and pretty much kept him quiet. The quality of defending in the Prem is that much higher, an example of this is how ordinary Mitrovich looks against Prem defenders, so I suspect AS will not carry the same potential threat up there at this stage in his career as he does in the Championship.

Money talks of course, but his football development would be more suited to have 45 games in the Championship than 20 mins here or there in the Prem, or in the case of Bournemouth, in a team likely to come straight back down.

Unless the club is looking to put some funds back into the balance sheet to prevent any FFP concerns now , then activate the extra year, if he progresses like he's capable of then by the end of next season he'd be worth double the sort of numbers that people are punting about now, or he could be play-off bound in a City shirt...

20 minutes ago, tin said:

If we really want to keep our best players and Semenyo doesn’t have a release clause in his contract (I doubt he does), City should stand firm and sell next summer. 

Semenyo comes across as a grounded, humble lad and doesn’t strike me as the sort to sulk if we don’t play ball, and as others have said, he’d benefit from another season with us. 

I hate the thought of him going to a club like Bournemouth. A tiny club who will return to this level in 2023/24. It would be a step down for Semenyo IMO.

I agree and don't want him to go to Bournemouth, definitely wouldn't be a step down though.

FWIW I think he'll have a Bobby Reid level career. Get some prem minutes at some point but not set the world on fire, before becoming a regular player for one of the yo-yo clubs. That feels like his peak to me.

8 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I agree and don't want him to go to Bournemouth, definitely wouldn't be a step down though.

FWIW I think he'll have a Bobby Reid level career. Get some prem minutes at some point but not set the world on fire, before becoming a regular player for one of the yo-yo clubs. That feels like his peak to me.

Antoine's a far better player than Reid at the same age, has almost limitless potential to improve, and imo will go on to become a regular starter at a club far bigger and more established in the PL than Cardiff or Fulham.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Antoine's a far better player than Reid at the same age, has almost limitless potential to improve, and imo will go on to become a regular starter at a club far bigger and more established in the PL than Cardiff or Fulham.

I guess we'll see.

7 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I guess we'll see.

Of course.

Multiple factors could derail him, injuries the most obvious one, wrong career move stalling him another, but he is unusually powerful and dynamic for a young player and even at a young age can torment Championship defences.

We sold Reid on the back of one outstanding season in about 7, 2 of those in League 1 at about Antoine's age, where he didn't shine.

Antoine is far more advanced and becoming occasionally unplayable at Championship level already, with far more to come.

His ceiling is far higher than Reid's imo., and the likely fee, should we - sadly - sell him, says it all.

From all accounts we won't sell unless we're offered at least double what we got for Bobby.

• Like 2

I think if we sell this summer with 2 years left on his contract then it's £20m/£25m, if we sell next summer with 1 year left on his contract and a good enough season scoring say 10/15 goals and a good performance for Ghana then we might get £10m/£15m.

No one is going to go for £20+m on a player with a year left on there contract. I think it's difficult but we are a selling club and now will be his highest value. The extra money does make him easier to replace as well although as already stated in not sure where we get that kind of powerful player from and we certainly need it.

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

I don't mind if he's sold for a good price or stays and signs a new contract.

What must NOT happen is he leaves for nothing like FD!!! Another brilliant piece of negotiation by Ashton.

And our owner who sanctioned the 'value on the pitch.'

• Like 1

He would be a loss - I was not convinced about him, but he has completely proved me wrong.

There will obviously be offers this summer and in my opinion it will be the lad himself and, of course his agent, that will have the final say on what happens.

If his head gets turned by a PL club and ££ he will go. I think some of the numbers talked about are fanciful, if someone offers £10m he will be off.

It is far from clear how the market will pan out this summer at our level, but in the PL it will be business as usual.

• Haha 1

On 11/05/2022 at 11:53, GrahamC said:

Think that Fulham will show their hand soon, too.

Should Forest win the playoffs it is highly likely that all 3 promoted sides will be in for him.

Seems probable to me that he will then be with one of them by the start of the new season.

Very difficult to replace, as we don’t have anyone on our books who possesses the same qualities as he does.

For me, Antoine's the only City player with the 'wow' factor. He's a joy to watch, combining great upper body strength, quick feet and a turn of pace that terrorises defenders, face on or with back to goal. 

His two goals at Craven Cottage in January were top Premier League class and I'm excited for next season if he stays.

Pretty please.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

For me, Antoine's the only City player with the 'wow' factor. He's a joy to watch, combining great upper body strength, quick feet and a turn of pace that terrorises defenders, face on or with back to goal. 

His two goals at Craven Cottage last season were top Premier League class and I'm excited for next season if he stays.

Pretty please.

He is a joy to watch but to say he’s the ‘ only ‘ City player with the wow factor is a bit unfair. For attacking prowess Weimann has had many of us out of our seats. There is a lot more to come from Scott as well. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He is a joy to watch but to say he’s the ‘ only ‘ City player with the wow factor is a bit unfair. For attacking prowess Weimann has had many of us out of our seats. There is a lot more to come from Scott as well. 

I meant no disrespect Major and you're right about Scott and our Andi. It's just that I haven't seen a City player wriggle free from defenders like a modern day Houdini since Tony Rougier (or Anthony. It's an in joke). That's what makes Antoine unique to our squad.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

His two goals at Craven Cottage in January were top Premier League class and I'm excited for next season if he stays.

Pretty please.

And arguably most important is that he pulls defenders out of place and creates space for others. It was no coincidence that we started scoring regularly when he started starting.

• Like 4

On 11/05/2022 at 11:27, RedRoss said:

He also said his representatives have turned down two offers already. He'll be a massive loss but I think we should sell this transfer window to retain value in the player. Massengo will go this summer but for cheaper than we should get because of the lack of time left on his contract. We don't want to be in that situation or even worse a Diedhiou outcome in two years.

At this rate, we’ll be looking to maximise our return by selling players six months after we buy them!

I know what you mean though. Maybe there are just some instances where you accept that the fee paid is what secures that player for 3-4 years? Hard to do in our financial position, I recognise. 

On 15/05/2022 at 09:47, Major Isewater said:

I think the difference is that when Weimann isn’t scoring he’s often quite anonymous. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1