IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

2 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

That’s probably how it will play out but we’re vulnerable to any decent offer especially while a couple of big earners remain. IMO we could really do with getting Kalas off the wage bill. 

Why Kalas and not Wells?

If Kalas left we'd need to sign 2 central defenders (we're already looking for one, to replace Vyner).

If Wells left we'd not have to sign anyone.

Imo Conway can do what Wells will probably do this season - make cameo appearances from the bench, the odd start, score a handful of goals. And Conway will do that for about one fifth of the price, ie a massive wage saving. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Why Kalas and not Wells?

If Kalas left we'd need to sign 2 central defenders (we're already looking for one, to replace Vyner).

Imo Conway can do what Wells will probably do this season - make cameo appearances from the bench, the odd start, score a handful of goals. And Conway will do that for about one fifth of the price, ie a massive wage saving. 

It is both and probably Bentley and Dasilva too. All the pre covid “big” signings are on a few grand a week too much than we’d probably offer now. 

Wells is the main one to get rid though imo. Bit part player and probably the biggest or second biggest wage left. As you said, and I agree completely, Conway can do the job for a fraction of the price. Ok there may be a few growing pains that route but for the wage difference it would be worth it. 

The others, it would be great if we could extend them all over the next few months on slightly less wages. It would balance out the wage bill and lessen the blow left on their amortisation. Then when all is done, perhaps we could look at extending Massengo if still around. Small pay rise and add a year with a small release clause could be appealing? Idk but there are 4-5 players we could extend and help our finances out. They just have to be willing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Why Kalas and not Wells?

Ideally both would go to get to a new wage structure.
Personally I think Wells is more useful but it’s all about opinions.
There are occasional rumours about Wells leaving.  Nothing about Kalas which makes me think he’s earning a fortune, a salary way better than his value these days and/or he is adamant he’ll see out his deal (as I said above). 
Kalas is undoubtedly a good defender but results improved without him. We needed leadership and organisation back there more than technical ability. I think Klose is more useful to Bristol City right now and hopefully Naismith will add even more leadership and organisation. 

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

Ideally both would go to get to a new wage structure.
Personally I think Wells is more useful but it’s all about opinions.

Wells more useful than Kalas? Blimey.

If everyone's fit, Bristol City get 46 games out of Kalas while Wells sits on the bench watching Semenyo, Martin and Weimann do their thing.  

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

Kalas is undoubtedly a good defender but results improved without him. We needed leadership and organisation back there more than technical ability. I think Klose is more useful to Bristol City right now and hopefully Naismith will add even more leadership and organisation. 

Results did improve but I struggle to put that down to Kalas being absent.

More likely to my mind, it was due to finally settling on a 3-at-the-back formation, fitness allowing the manager to pick a settled starting XI, the emergence of Semenyo, the arrival of Klose. 

Imo, results improved even though Kalas was absent, not because he was absent.  It was a co-incidence, not the cause. The cause was the reasons above.

Put it another way - if you think our results picked up because Robbie Cundy was playing instead of Tomas Kalas, you might what to check outside your front door because the men in white coats have arrived to cart you off to Barrow Gurney. And it ain't for to see your brother Ernie.    

I do agree though on the leadership/organisation point - a Kalas weakness (he's the strong silent type) but a strength of Klose and Naismith (vocal types it would appear). It's a vital component of any successful team but even more so in one that's blooding wet behind the ears youngsters who will only benefit from older heads guiding them through games - last season we had Pring, Tanner, Atkinson, Scott, Benarous, Bell all making ther debuts. Semenyo is hardly a veteran and Vyner always needs someone in his ear.

As far as Kalas is concerned, we just need to negotiate a new contract that we can afford.     

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If everyone's fit, Bristol City get 46 games out of Kalas while Wells sits on the bench watching Semenyo, Martin and Weimann do their thing.  

Results did improve but I struggle to put that down to Kalas being absent.

More likely to my mind, it was due to finally settling on a 3-at-the-back formation, fitness allowing the manager to pick a settled starting XI, the emergence of Semenyo, the arrival of Klose. 

Imo, results improved even though Kalas was absent, not because he was absent.  It was a co-incidence, not the cause. The cause was the reasons above.

Put it another way - if you think our results picked up because Robbie Cundy was playing instead of Tomas Kalas, you might what to check outside your front door because the men in white coats have arrived to cart you off to Barrow Gurney. And it ain't for to see your brother Ernie.    

I do agree though on the leadership/organisation point - a Kalas weakness (he's the strong silent type) but a strength of Klose and Naismith (vocal types it would appear). It's a vital component of any successful team but even more so in one that's blooding wet behind the ears youngsters who will only benefit from older heads guiding them through games - last season we had Pring, Tanner, Atkinson, Scott, Benarous, Bell all making ther debuts. Semenyo is hardly a veteran and Vyner always needs someone in his ear.

As far as Kalas is concerned, we just need to negotiate a new contract that we can afford.     

The white coat thing was downright rude - I’d said it’s all about opinions. 
You insult me then agree with me that having a leader and the average Cundy (who I’d not mentioned) saw us better than Kalas and A N Other. Bottom line we can live without him. Just as we can any of our players in truth… especially those on big money. 
Anyway he’s inured and likelihood is we’ll be paying him a lot to do very little for a while yet. He’ll s as most certainly see out his contract here then go for nothing. 

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I said more useful “right now”. We don’t have semenyo fit for for Wells to watch, do we? So he’s useful… right now. 

Again, no need to be rude and (again) it’s all about opinions. 

Kalas and Wells both top end championship players.

Wells only fault is he never gets a game - not sure really what he has ever done wrong other than being payed to much money

Is he better than Conway - Yes

Kalas our best defender - Yes ** let’s see Naismith first for a few games before we say he is better than Kalas.

Lot of talk on here about talking and organising and agree to a point but I don’t put it before the skill and quality of the player. 

Dave F said he was a good talker but do I want he I’m the team….

8 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Palace was top of my list of clubs where I thought he might end up. 

I'm not as concerned about the fee,  more what we do with it. We have got big fees before and wasted the money. Will NP get any of it and will be find a decent replacement? 

You’d expect Nige to get a bit of the money (2-3m?) and that we’d have someone lined-up if he did go

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Not sure Nixon gets much right tbh. If it is then do it now so we got time to reinvest . One thing for sure is we miss him badly in the side. Going to be a long season . 

Nixon thought Chris Kirchner was the real deal during the Derby saga, which tells us something about his credibility.

No idea whether this has legs.

If he was to go for £12m then it’s not about how much of it Nige can spend, it doesn’t work like that really.

If our playing budget was £25m, wages, amortisation, etc to stay inside FFP and we project to spend £25m, then receiving £12m (all profit) would give us £12m free to spend plus a small amount of Antoine’s wages freed up.

Theoretically, we could buy four £5m players on 4 year deals on £20k p.w and still have £2m left over this year.  We would have to look at the impact on next seasons budgets and beyond though!

I fully expect the situation to be that Nige will need to see some of the £12m cover a bit of FFP and also not to use it all this windows, ie keep a bit up his sleeve. 

12m would be about right with a sell on fee as well. Don't forget he is only proven for one season, and has just been injured, plus only has a year and a bit left on a deal. Next summer Semenyo will be in his final year and we would get nowhere near 12m. Clubs know that, so whilst he could well be a 15-20m player, we don't have the luxury of him being tied down for 3 or 4 years, to get that sort of money. 

Crystal Palace are likely candidates I'd think, Brentford too although they seem to have done their business fairly early...wouldn't also bid for Semenyo after Lewis-Potter?

£12m feels a bit low but remember we might have a bit of pressure to sell- dunno if we can add anyone at all atm as it stands and we might fail in March too.

One other bit, before signing players with the fresh income, we could use it to look to renew or extend terms with those we want to keep, agree settlements with those we don't and try to frontload some of the decisions- perhaps impair a few, letting them go on frees thereby saving wages earlier.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

£12m sounds cheap to me for a young international striker who is in contract for a reasonable amount of time. Needs to be closer to £18m - £20m I would think. COYR 

Problem is he has an injury and the club don’t know how bad it is. He will be back playing soon but he may need an operation. If that’s the case, you can pretty much call this season a right off 

Go for £15m and look to reinvest some funds I say 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Problem is he has an injury and the club don’t know how bad it is. He will be back playing soon but he may need an operation. If that’s the case, you can pretty much call this season a right off 

Didn’t Nige suggest that he was recovering well/ahead of time a few weeks ago?  Antoine himself indicated similar at the open training session - I’d therefore be surprised if an op was needed.

I can see this one progressing over the next two weeks - just hope City have replacement lined up ‘cos we will need to replace him if he goes…

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Where is the indication the club don’t know how bad it is?  And if it needs an operation, why not get that operation done?

• Like 1

I think this one has legs. 

Palace are rumoured to have been monitoring Semenyo for some time. It seems realistic that they would now make their move. 

I don't want to see it happen, but accept that him leaving for a prem club is too good to turn down. 

Palace would be the perfect move for him (and potentially us in regards to a sell on %). 

Any money received needs to be reinvested (where possible) to bulk up this squad. We are too thin on numbers in key areas. 

A Semenyo replacement, A centre midfielder and a centre back are priorities. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I think this one has legs. 

Palace are rumoured to have been monitoring Semenyo for some time. It seems realistic that they would now make their move. 

I don't want to see it happen, but accept that him leaving for a prem club is too good to turn down. 

Palace would be the perfect move for him (and potentially us in regards to a sell on %). 

Any money received needs to be reinvested (where possible) to bulk up this squad. We are too thin on numbers in key areas. 

A Semenyo replacement, A centre midfielder and a centre back are priorities. 

Maybe we could get him back on loan for the season?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If he was to go for £12m then it’s not about how much of it Nige can spend, it doesn’t work like that really.

If our playing budget was £25m, wages, amortisation, etc to stay inside FFP and we project to spend £25m, then receiving £12m (all profit) would give us £12m free to spend plus a small amount of Antoine’s wages freed up.

Theoretically, we could buy four £5m players on 4 year deals on £20k p.w and still have £2m left over this year.  We would have to look at the impact on next seasons budgets and beyond though!

I fully expect the situation to be that Nige will need to see some of the £12m cover a bit of FFP and also not to use it all this windows, ie keep a bit up his sleeve. 

Course it is and you just wrote a post explaining it.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Course it is and you just wrote a post explaining it.