IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Everyone is replaceable. We will sell. Any sale of Semenyo is as close to being pure profit as you can get. Brought on board for a song, on low wages, sold for £££. It'll be a huge success for the accounts.

We scored goals without him last season, and we're doing the same again this season. Yes he gives us a great attacking threat, yes he's different to our other squad members, but in my opinion he's not going to be the difference between relegation and survival.

I don't enjoy it when we sell our young exciting talent, but it's something we have to do.

Yep, different, and bloody good too…but if there was ever a need to improve other positions it’s now, improve the balance.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Guardian (Ben Fisher, City fan) reporting initial asking price is £15m, plus up to £5m in add ons & we turned down a £10m bid from Bournemouth earlier in the month..

Thanks Graham. Sadly (very, sniff) its just a question of when, not if Antoine leaves, and probably before September 1st. Hopefully, we've already identified possible replacements and will have the time to act.

1 hour ago, westonred said:

Whilst i dont want to see Semenyo go if Everton are interested and have offer the reported £15 i would let him go if we could get Ellis Simms on loan for the season (currently at Sunderland) he is just what we need pace power but not sure if he can be called back from blunderland 

That’s not allowed unfortunately. Earliest we could get him is January 

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Guardian (Ben Fisher, City fan) reporting initial asking price is £15m, plus up to £5m in add ons & we turned down a £10m bid from Bournemouth earlier in the month..

He’s definitely off Massengo not leaving has sealed that fate and he will be off for free next summer very frustrating and means this seasons hopes off play offs is gone, he was that important to this season 

• Confused 1

I think our asking price is a fair one, though gutted if he goes of course...all the same Blackburn sold Armstrong and did okay. I was like we all were, forgetting finances- seeing Semenyo after a year in which he got 8 goals and 12 assists in just checked- 24 starts and 7 sub appearances, linking up once more with Weimann and after that season of experience would have been an exciting prospect. His breakthrough season.

For context, while a year younger Keane Lewis-Potter...46 starts, £16m, plus up to £4m in potential add-ons. 12 goals, 3 assists...but Hull's financial position was certainly better than ours coming into 2022/23.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You just have to play differently if so. 

100%.

At present we have Weimann, Conway & Wells who can all play parts of his role & it is also worth pointing out we’ve scored in all 4 of our games without him, largely thanks to Andi.

There is an argument therefore & I think it’s yours (?) that if we were stronger defensively and/or in midfield that would be more beneficial & is where to prioritise any funds.

Just to make it clear I’m not saying that Conway or Wells are as good as Antoine, because if they were someone would be offering us £10m+ for them instead, but they could do a better job replacing him than our current options at the back or in midfield.

Final point, if we did look at a striker I’d want someone who could lighten the load on Martin myself, not replace Antoine, at 34 in October we are ready asking a lot of him at present.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

At present we have Weimann, Conway & Wells who can all play parts of his role & it is also worth pointing out we’ve scored in all 4 of our games without him, largely thanks to Andi.

There is an argument therefore & I think it’s yours (?) that if we were stronger defensively and/or in midfield that would be more beneficial & is where to prioritise any funds.

Just to make it clear I’m not saying that Conway or Wells are as good as Antoine, because if they were someone would be offering us £10m+ for them instead, but they could do a better job replacing him than our current options at the back or in midfield.

Final point, if we did look at a striker I’d want someone who could lighten the load on Martin myself, not replace Antoine, at 34 in October we are ready asking a lot of him at present.

Martin should already have a light load. Should be Conway Wells with Weimann behind at the minute. Wells did plenty of holding the ball up at Wigan and Conway a different release of pressure by running channels. Martin should be getting 20-30 minutes at the end of games to change the look imo. 

All that said, I agree though. A big body is a nice option and often brings more out of others. We saw it with Wilbraham. I’d want a much more energetic player and obvious much more athletic. Someone mentioned Simms and that is exactly the type. Even Magennis at Wigan who is pretty bad at the football bits think caused more problems for us than Martin did for them. Just on pure strength, pace and energy. 

1 minute ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Sell for 15 mill plus add ons and focus on a Centre Half, Holding mid and striker. Seems a no brainer to me. Palace would be a great move for him. 

It probably seems like a no brainer because you haven’t thought about the wage implications of what you suggest.

Semenyo will be one of our lowest earners, his last contact was signed when he was a fringe player.

If he’s on say £4k a week, bringing in 3 players on a minimum of £6k a week (possibly more) meaning that we increase our wage bill by £700k a year is a pretty decent illustration of how we got into this mess.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

There's no one at the club like Semenyo, that can hold the ball up with his back to goal (anywhere on the pitch) and turn players, with great upper body strength and quick feet. For a great example, watch his assist for Dasilva against Stoke.

Indeed. At times he plays like a older kid at school playing against the Year 7s for a bit of a laugh. 

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It probably seems like a no brainer because you haven’t thought about the wage implications of what you suggest.

Semenyo will be one of our lowest earners, his last contact was signed when he was a fringe player.

If he’s on say £4k a week, bringing in 3 players on a minimum of £6k a week (possibly more) meaning that we increase our wage bill by £700k a year is a pretty decent illustration of how we got into this mess.

Indeed. We sell for £15m and then invest £2-3m in transfer fees and people kick off…can see it now 

• Like 2

I have seen a few clips of Devante Rodney at Rochdale? A bit of late developer physical means they have moved him from the wing to central striker, he has a huge amount pace but obviously needs to work on stuff like finishing. I'd like to see us take a punt on someone like that.

23 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed. At times he plays like a older kid at school playing against the Year 7s for a bit of a laugh. 

Exciting to watch. only a handful of City players who have done that over the years. Alan Walsh, the Rougier brothers (in joke), JET. Any more?

Edited by Curr Avon

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I have seen a few clips of Devante Rodney at Rochdale? A bit of late developer physical means they have moved him from the wing to central striker, he has a huge amount pace but obviously needs to work on stuff like finishing. I'd like to see us take a punt on someone like that.

Don't be a plonker.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

It’s not just about goals and assists his presence running ability is a different level to anything else we have and is a big part of why we started winning games in periods last season.

Can’t keep a player who doesn’t want to be here …well you can but we wont ,it impacts the way we play and our plans this season no doubt if he leaves 

Edited by Logical-City

3 minutes ago, Logical-City said:

Just sign a replacement easy as that ?‍♂️

I'd like to think/hope that they would have realised that Semenyo could attract interest this summer and will have identified possible replacements just in case.

Having said that, identifying a replacement is one thing, getting them to sign is another!

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Semenyo is probably our 2nd most important player. So vital with how we play and I think if he’d been fit this season we would have at least 3 more points than we do now.  Massive loss if we goes 

He offers little defensively and that's where the problem lies that and centre of midfield,

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He offers little defensively and that's where the problem lies that and centre of midfield,

I think that’s the wrong way to think of it. If you have someone like Semenyo in your team then it forces other teams to play differently. They will be wary of pushing too many forward and also you have his pressing from the front.  Defend as a team and he gives opponents so much more to think about.  With Semenyo playing this season no way do we only have 1 point from 3 games 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3