IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

1 minute ago, Loosey Boy said:

Great news of AS stays this season - if we can just cut-out the poor goals we are conceding, we could be in for a very interesting/successful season…..

Agreed but that's a very big if. The problem seems to be intractable.

Still, this is the most exciting attacking team since Cotts but that that was in League 1 so this attack is significantly better imo.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Still, this is the most exciting attacking team since Cotts but that that was in League 1 so this attack is significantly better imo.

But, but, but….the fans said they just want more exciting football.  It appears they want exciting football AND winning every week too! ?

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Two clean sheets one with only 10 men, that's already an improvement. Yesterday was disappointing in that we not only had the game won, we looked confident and relaxed until one pass was made. In previous games, especially last season the equaliser/winner seemed inevitable, but it has only looked unlikely this time.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Two clean sheets one with only 10 men, that's already an improvement. Yesterday was disappointing in that we not only had the game won, we looked confident and relaxed until one pass was made. In previous games, especially last season the equaliser/winner seemed inevitable, but it has only looked unlikely this time.

I agree there is some improvement though it's a bit 2 steps forward 1 step back.

Mistakes happen but we are still to eliminate as far as possible unforced errors. Probably a mental problem and Nigel's next big challenge.

59 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

It was the same team as last season bar Naismith . It is an impressive progression and development considering the players are practically the same. Though some issues remain , and Naismith has joined the trend. 

We do need better options at CB, our record signing is missing with no clarity on his return, Klose has not been on form and was awol yesterday, Baker is unable to play,  we have no money and cannot sign anyone. No idea why Kane Wilson is not being used to allow Scott to go midfield, or Tanner for that matter, maybe not deemed ready . Pring does not seem to have recovered from whatever went on last season. If one of the 3 CB get injured, we do not have anyone to step in. It is a big worry for a long season. The squad depth is not there , and neither is the money. I am sure they had hoped one of the players with some transfer value had been sold to enable further squad reshaping. Maybe it will happen this week. We cannot have our cake and eat it.  We are close, and getting better. 

I was referring specifically to the partial defensive improvement we have seen that is still work in progress.

The improvement Nigel has delivered in our attacking play is off the scale and far more than I would have thought possible.

Otherwise I agree with you.

The improvement has been immensely satisfying. The addition of Naismith, the continued progression of Scott and now Conway, the re-emergence of Wells and the return of Semenyo have been a big part of that. Patience may be needed with Sykes, Wilson and Tanner before we see the best of them. It’s just that ongoing vacancy for a dominant centre half and defensive midfielder holding us back now. Hopefully we don’t have to sacrifice either Semenyo or Scott to achieve that.

A week from now we will have a better idea of what we can expect for the season. It promises to be a nervy few days which I think will determine whether a play-off challenge or a mid-table place is realistic.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree, I think so far this season its been completely different on that front.

The Hull goal was a complete fluke, Blackpool was just an awful error. Last season we looked like we would fold and concede every match but Blackpool we looked OK and in some control, the clean sheets were pretty comfortably seen out.

Reason for optimism in my opinion in defence, especially if we can get Kalas back playing to his potential though Vyner has done very well.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

The improvement has been immensely satisfying. The addition of Naismith, the continued progression of Scott and now Conway, the re-emergence of Wells and the return of Semenyo have been a big part of that. Patience may be needed with Sykes, Wilson and Tanner before we see the best of them. It’s just that ongoing vacancy for a dominant centre half and defensive midfielder holding us back now. Hopefully we don’t have to sacrifice either Semenyo or Scott to achieve that.

A week from now we will have a better idea of what we can expect for the season. It promises to be a nervy few days which I think will determine whether a play-off challenge or a mid-table place is realistic.

I think with Wilson, we have to look at Nige’s view / expectations on Atkinson at the start of last season, where he was expecting to pair Kalas and Baker, despite spending money on Rob…gradually introducing him.

Wilson has started 2, made 3 sub apps and 3 unused so far….yeah, the two starts were in the cup, but that little ankle injury pre-season gave Sykes his chance.  That’s football.  No rush with Kane, much as I’d like to see him start.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DaveF said:

I agree, I think so far this season its been completely different on that front.

The Hull goal was a complete fluke, Blackpool was just an awful error. Last season we looked like we would fold and concede every match but Blackpool we looked OK and in some control, the clean sheets were pretty comfortably seen out.

Reason for optimism in my opinion in defence, especially if we can get Kalas back playing to his potential though Vyner has done very well.

The "Awful Error" is a common and very regular thing for the past two or three years. Here are one or two only.

Last season we gave Blackpool a draw at home with a last minute clanger. Just the same as last Saturday!

Sunderland this season an early goal against because we were playing around our own box, just like last Saturdays gift to Blackpool and Sunderland's second where our defence left Vyner one on one on the edge of our box.

And the penalty incident at Hull in our first game. I know it was after the match, declared a refereeing howler, but why do we keep giving refs the opportunity to give them against us.

I'm not trying to be a misery about mistakes but we still do not have a dominating and "balls winner in the air in our box". We haven't had one since Webster left. And with a keeper who is a good shot saver but never comes for crosses, it has been and still is, an absolute priority

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

We have an 1 year option which will take him until June 2024,, so no real panic yet.

You say that, but in the summer he only has one year left, and every team knows that. He can then go for free at the end of that season, so offers in the summer will be under 10m for sure, and the longer its left, we get another Maynard situation. 

January is probably prime time to sell, if he is banging the goals in, but 15m now and the club sell imo.

3 minutes ago, robin for life said:

You say that, but in the summer he only has one year left, and every team knows that. He can then go for free at the end of that season, so offers in the summer will be under 10m for sure, and the longer its left, we get another Maynard situation. 

January is probably prime time to sell, if he is banging the goals in, but 15m now and the club sell imo.

But we are still in this summer, so he is basically currently contracted for 2 years. I don't know how many others are contracted to us for longer? Maybe we should start offering new 3 year contracts every year, but do we want our players feeling too comfortable? 

It could be that the club are waiting for this window to close before reviewing his contract.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'm more concerned about 'seeing out his contract', that would cost us £M's.

Diedhiou and probably Massengo is bad enough. Let's hope we don't find ourselves sleepwalking into another one whereby nothing has happened entering his final year. I actually reckon he might be a January signing for a lower Prem or big Champ team struggling for goals.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

And the penalty incident at Hull in our first game. I know it was after the match, declared a refereeing howler, but why do we keep giving refs the opportunity to give them against us.

I'm not trying to be a misery about mistakes but we still do not have a dominating and "balls winner in the air in our box". We haven't had one since Webster left. And with a keeper who is a good shot saver but never comes for crosses, it has been and still is, an absolute priority

Webster was a super player but that’s not exactly how I remember him, he was good in the air but far better on the deck.

He partnered Kalas for the majority of that season & who even though he’s shorter was the better of the two in the air.

This is exactly what we have brought Atkinson in for, he appears to have had a poor one at Blackpool but at 24 & with minimal league football under his belt I’m confident that he’ll be part of the solution.

We have also been unlucky with Baker, who is exactly the type we need, so have had to look at cheaper, short term solutions like Klose & possibly Bamba.

The Hull example is a very odd one to choose, as the opposition will always be in your penalty area at some point, unlike Saturday when the goal was certainly very preventable, I have no idea how we stop an opponent blatantly diving.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Diedhiou and probably Massengo is bad enough. Let's hope we don't find ourselves sleepwalking into another one whereby nothing has happened entering his final year. I actually reckon he might be a January signing for a lower Prem or big Champ team struggling for goals.

I don’t think it’s a question of ‘sleepwalking ‘ as you put it but how do you force a player to sign a contract if he doesn’t want to. 
We are aware that Massengo has a contract offer on the table since January, at least. 
We have had a change of personnel so  we can’t blame Gould for previous disappointments. 
Players leaving on a ‘ free’ is not restricted to our club. I believe that the transfer market is changing as more players realise that they can get better deals if they see their contracts out. This could, and has, effected the recruitment policies for many clubs who now won’t or can’t pay a transfer fee as they will lose money at the end of the contract. 
We will have to get used to players fulfilling their contracts and moving on. It is foolish to sign a player on a 3 year deal , for example, and then not use him for the third year because he won’t renew. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I don’t think it’s a question of ‘sleepwalking ‘ as you put it but how do you force a player to sign a contract if he doesn’t want to. 
We are aware that Massengo has a contract offer on the table since January, at least. 
We have had a change of personnel so  we can’t blame Gould for previous disappointments. 
Players leaving on a ‘ free’ is not restricted to our club. I believe that the transfer market is changing as more players realise that they can get better deals if they see their contracts out. This could, and has, effected the recruitment policies for many clubs who now won’t or can’t pay a transfer fee as they will lose money at the end of the contract. 
We will have to get used to players fulfilling their contracts and moving on. It is foolish to sign a player on a 3 year deal , for example, and then not use him for the third year because he won’t renew. 

Well I presume that Diedhiou, Wells and Massengo being on good pay is what made it too hard to move them on. 

The question is, could we have been more proactive in managing the situation? Could we have drawn a line in the sand before that last 12 months?

18 minutes ago, mozo said:

Well I presume that Diedhiou, Wells and Massengo being on good pay is what made it too hard to move them on. 

The question is, could we have been more proactive in managing the situation? Could we have drawn a line in the sand before that last 12 months?

In reply to your first paragraph, they were offered and accepted the going rate for the moment they were signed. The market has changed. 
Who knows if we could have been more proactive but we know that contracts were offered and famously Ashton declared that the Diedhiou’s would have made him the highest paid player in City’s history, believe him or not. 
I really think that the transfer market has evolved and unfortunately we are just caught out in the middle of that change.