IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

I really think were it not for the injury he would be sold already. Bournemouth bid for £10 million in spite of the fact he's not even starting. To me he has the profile of a modern centre forward -- high pressing, can drop deep and receive to feet, good dribbler, finishing with both feet. If he continues to bulk up it's going to be very difficult to get the ball of him. Its not uncommon for younger players to have an inconsistent first touch, and if he can refine that and work on his aerial ability the sky is the limit.

I think he would fit well on team like Southampton or Leeds that like to press high and employ vertical, direct attacks with minimal time from winning the ball to shots on goal. Those teams while they are direct tend to play shorter passes and mostly on the ground. I'm not sure whether he would have success in a more defensive side that plays a lot of long balls. Another area he may struggle is against teams that play a low block. I'm curious as to how well people think his skill set would transfer to the premiership; for me he seems a better chance than someone like Brereton-Diaz or Piroe. 

Edited by Champfan45

17 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

I've long thought Palace is the most obvious "fit" for Semenyo in terms of Premier League teams and their style of football. But I also think Football League World only gets things right very occasionally and, when they do, it's by accident rather than design.  

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've long thought Palace is the most obvious "fit" for Semenyo in terms of Premier League teams and their style of football. But I also think Football League World only gets things right very occasionally and, when they do, it's by accident rather than design.  

Think they pinched this from our Bristol Post guys?

I'm going to say something outlandish... 

If we get a reasonable offer for Semenyo, we should sell him in January...

Unless he commits to a new contract.

Beyond this window his value decreases significantly and it only takes poor form or an injury to leave back where we were with Diedhiou and now Massengo.

I'm going to speculate that a few million in the bank is better for the club than 18 more months of his service.

There, I said it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Beyond this window his value decreases significantly and it only takes poor form or an injury to leave back where we were with Diedhiou and now Massengo.

I'm going to speculate that a few million in the bank is better for the club than 18 more months of his service.

There, I said it.

I never was but now I am with you. Considering the losses we cant afford to let another player leave for free or a reduced fee. Especially one we can get X amount of million for.

2 hours ago, mozo said:

There, I said it.

….or PL interest is quelled by his recent form, and he signs a new extended contract here instead???

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

….or PL interest is quelled by his recent form, and he signs a new extended contract here instead???

Then he needs to play at 100% and not worry about missing the World Cup.

Against Swansea he was poor, despite the assist and goal-scoring chance (which sounds contradictory I'll admit) - no chasing or pressurising of note. It could only be because of his choice not to do so.

He clearly got a rocket from NP , got dropped, and when he came on, showed a lot more effort and should have scored.

He has been shown so much patience here, to find his feet and become the player he is.

He can be so much more - but it is a terrible, terrible attitude to display when you are in a relegation battle and won't do the team thing.

He needs to decide what kind of playing career he wants - one with wasted potential - that STILL gets him to be a World Cup player, and probably a Premiership player.

Or one that 100% gets him a premiership gig at a top 10 side leading on to a bigger club, with a huge pay-rise, and winning multiple honours.

It starts with not picking and choosing when to put in a shift.

2p

9 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Against Swansea he was poor, despite the assist and goal-scoring chance (which sounds contradictory I'll admit) - no chasing or pressurising of note. It could only be because of his choice not to do so.

That wasn’t his role on Saturday….he was the lane blocker, not the presser, playing behind Conway / Wells.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Seems to have gone back to Semenyo from 20/21. Lacking a bit of composure which he had last season. 

I'm sure when he next gets a goal a few more might start going in again. 

Agreed, just needs that first goal (or two) to spark him. Let's also not forget that he hasn't long come back from injury, so essentially he's still probably not quite as sharp as he was/can be.

38 minutes ago, Taz said:

Agreed, just needs that first goal (or two) to spark him. Let's also not forget that he hasn't long come back from injury, so essentially he's still probably not quite as sharp as he was/can be.

His 2nd medium term injury in successive years, cumulatively that could take a toll. He was out for a few months in 2021-22 iirc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taz said:

He looked quite sharp as soon as he came in.

I think some people underestimate the role Chris Martin had in Semenyo’s good form last season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

He looked quite sharp as soon as he came in.

I think some people underestimate the role Chris Martin had in Semenyo’s good form last season. 

I said on the CM thread that I’d prefer him to start than be a sub…but that if he did start it would be with Semenyo.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I said on the CM thread that I’d prefer him to start than be a sub…but that if he did start it would be with Semenyo.

To a certain degree he was the perfect partner for Weimann and Semenyo. I'd argue Conway could be well suited also. 

He dropped in to create space in behind which allowed Weimann and Semenyo to attack at pace.

His current role off of the bench doesn't allow this to happen. Teams protecting a lead will be set up in a low block, which doesn't suit Martin at all. 

My arguement when creating the "Martin conundrum" thread is that his game isn't suited to coming on when chasing a lead. It requires a complete shift in our playing style. 

If he were to start, it would at least allow us to set-up in a different style from the start, and most importantly, from a drawing position.

I think Semenyo is at a bit of a crossroads due to the emergence of Conway, and Wells re-discovery of form. They possess similar attributes to him (ball to feet types), whereas previously this is what set him apart from the other attackers.

Having Semenyo, Conway and Wells all on the pitch together can often lead to a variation of runs occuring, which can end up blocking space, or not offering an option to receive the ball. 

• Like 2

Realistically if you were recruiting players for a club like Crystal Palace, how many centre forwards are there in the division that you would take over Antoine? I don't think any of the clubs who are likely to be in the mix for top 6 are going to be happy to part with their main striker, which could help. That would likely rule out BBD, Ndiaye, Sargent, Sarr, and probably a couple others I forgot about.

Maybe this is a homer take but I don't think more popular names like Gyokeres, Piroe, or Akpom are any better than Antoine is. And when you consider he's likely to be a bit more affordable I could see a decent offer or 2 come in for him. I think his eventual ceiling is as a solid starter for a top half Premier League side if his development continues to ascend. In the meantime he could be a valuable impact sub as he's able to contribute whether you're chasing a goal or trying to see out a result.

• Like 2

As per Nixon, a player named Etienne Camara is linked with two or three PL clubs. Don't know anything much about him except that he is 19 and plays for Huddersfield.

In that context, what is Semenyo worth in the current market? I know that a) It isn't so simple and b) Is just paper talk but if £10m is the going rate for Camara what might Semenyo be worth?

At the end of the day if we have a desire to sell, or he has a desire to leave, his worth is what someone is willing to pay, no more or no less. As his destination is most likely to be a low, or at best middling Premier club they're not interested in buying potential but need someone who can slot straight into the 1st team to help them stay in the division. 

On 01/11/2022 at 22:02, mozo said:

There, I said it.

I don't think it's outlandish. 

I was very much in the minority with being disappointed we didn't sell in the summer. 

With just 12+8 months left his value has dropped since the summer. I don't think we've got a return for that value we've lost. 

He has absolutely zero interest in signing a new contract. He must be on pretty modest wages so the fact he hasn't signed to boost his income says it all really. 

• Like 2