IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just on fees, Nixon says NDiaye linked with Everton. Fee mooted is £22m.

All transfers are different but it certainly vindicates further our decision to reject a £10m bid IMO.

BBC saying £15m for Ndiaye so the £22m presumably includes add-ons. There`s bound to be a huge `staying up` one at least.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

If Antoine gets offered a £50k pew contract on a 3 year contract then that’s life changing for him & his family.   If Bournemouth is his only option then on those terms it’s irrelevant how many people watch them.

But for the sake of 5 months, why not wait and give yourself a better net to cast?

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But for the sake of 5 months, why not wait and give yourself a better net to cast?

What if he gets injured in the next 5 months & it’s a bad one or losses form?  It’s the here and now that will give him instant security.  We all thought Han Noah was a going to be a big sale and look how that turned out.  Football can change in an instant.  Appreciate he could score another 10 to the end of the season and have more suitors in the summer but it’s a gamble that he may wish to take.  I’ll be happy if he stays as think he’s our most important player as unique to what we have.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

You're watching Sky? 

Well not at present, I’m replying to you.

I actually think their news coverage is better than BBC, who seem to think having Iain Duncan Smith, Rachel Johnson & someone who works for the Bank of England on a programme hosted by Kuenssberg is balanced..

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Shuffle said:

If Antoine gets offered a £50k pew contract on a 3 year contract then that’s life changing for him & his family.   If Bournemouth is his only option then on those terms it’s irrelevant how many people watch them.

Totally.

Deep down does anyone seriously think that he cares about their crowds or crap ground?

He’ll be on a small fortune & playing in the Prem, if they go down but he’s done well someone will sign him.

If not he’s playing at his current level for a parachute payment club & has probably put a zero on the end of his weekly wage.

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Totally.

Deep down does anyone seriously think that he cares about their crowds or crap ground?

He’ll be on a small fortune & playing in the Prem, if they go down but he’s done well someone will sign him.

If not he’s playing at his current level for a parachute payment club & has probably put a zero on the end of his weekly wage.

Agreed, any one here would do the same, and making an argument that he should stay here is seriously optimistic!

59 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Totally.

In fact a small compact ground with a decent atmosphere, like The Vitality, may suit his style of play

2 hours ago, Shuffle said:

What if he gets injured in the next 5 months & it’s a bad one or losses form?  It’s the here and now that will give him instant security.  We all thought Han Noah was a going to be a big sale and look how that turned out.  Football can change in an instant.  Appreciate he could score another 10 to the end of the season and have more suitors in the summer but it’s a gamble that he may wish to take.  I’ll be happy if he stays as think he’s our most important player as unique to what we have.

He also might really like the deal as Bournemouth has sold it to him. Perhaps they've assured him he'll be straight into contention to start games? Maybe their coaching set up appeals to him or they have an impressive strategy for his personal development?

There may be better clubs in for him later and the money will be out there but the 'project' has to appeal too.

4 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Absolutely.  It’s all ifs, buts and maybes.  It’s easy to jump for the first offer.  It depends whether he thinks there might be others.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

That’s potentially £500k in lost earnings. 

It’s double that I’d the rumours are in anyway true…but he could quite conceivably make that up too by waiting.

At the end of the day, he’ll be the one making the decision, and good luck to him.  If it were me, I’d hang on to the summer.

Edited by Davefevs

Once again, does the market swing back in our favour?

A few Stoke fans on Twitter say £20m for Souttar, also seen £18m mentioned.

*Souttar is 24 but his contract runs until 2025.

*Semenyo is 23 but his contract runs until 2024.

*Souttar- CB, Semenyo- FW. Conventional wisdom is that the latter more expensive.

*Souttar made more of an impression at the WC than Semenyo- this is the post WC window which would ordinarily be in the summer.

How does the market move now in in a comparison between the two.

PS- one report says Souttar at £25m?? Stoke and their valuation.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Once again, does the market swing back in our favour?

A few Stoke fans on Twitter say £20m for Souttar, also seen £18m mentioned.

*Souttar is 24 but his contract runs until 2025.

*Semenyo is 23 but his contract runs until 2024.

*Souttar- CB, Semenyo- FW. Conventional wisdom is that the latter more expensive.

*Souttar made more of an impression at the WC than Semenyo- this is the post WC window which would ordinarily be in the summer.

How does the market move now in in a comparison between the two.

PS- one report says Souttar at £25m?? Stoke and their valuation.

One of the biggest problems in that is that extra year of contract counts for so much, also one plays for Stoke, the other Bristol City.

One could argue Stoke are a lot closer to the Premier League and a far bigger club than Bristol City, regardless of how blinkered our fans may be. They may be just below us in the league, but I would imagine most players would feel Stoke are a bigger club and more likely to get promoted than Bristol City any time soon, so it would be hard to prize their better players away, therefore more money needs to be offered. 

In a round about way, any Premier League club would be a better proposition than Bristol City in most players eyes, even if they were to be relegated in 5 months, as they would stand a better chance of going back up, would gain top flight experience and be on a better wage.

It is easier to get into a players head at a smaller club than a bigger club, regardless of what our fans may think.

Semenyo has shown no desire to sign a new deal and whilst he might be attracted to join a Premier League club now, it is not beyond reasonable doubt, he would be happy to leave us in the summer for a top end Championship club.

I actually think he'll be sold this week, but I'm also pretty sure it will be an undisclosed fee.

5 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

One of the biggest problems in that is that extra year of contract counts for so much, also one plays for Stoke, the other Bristol City.

One could argue Stoke are a lot closer to the Premier League and a far bigger club than Bristol City, regardless of how blinkered our fans may be. They may be just below us in the league, but I would imagine most players would feel Stoke are a bigger club and more likely to get promoted than Bristol City any time soon, so it would be hard to prize their better players away, therefore more money needs to be offered. 

In a round about way, any Premier League club would be a better proposition than Bristol City in most players eyes, even if they were to be relegated in 5 months, as they would stand a better chance of going back up, would gain top flight experience and be on a better wage.

It is easier to get into a players head at a smaller club than a bigger club, regardless of what our fans may think.

Semenyo has shown no desire to sign a new deal and whilst he might be attracted to join a Premier League club now, it is not beyond reasonable doubt, he would be happy to leave us in the summer for a top end Championship club.

I actually think he'll be sold this week, but I'm also pretty sure it will be an undisclosed fee.

That point about Stoke is a bit of an odd one. I’d understand if we were talking about a big club that’s genuinely underachieving like Derby or Sheffield Weds.. but Stoke?!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That point about Stoke is a bit of an odd one. I’d understand if we were talking about a big club that’s genuinely underachieving like Derby or Sheffield Weds.. but Stoke?!

They were a premier league side until 4 years ago and were in there for 10 years from 2008 and 2018, they have also appointed a very good manager who is more than likely going to get them back there. Stoke are by far a more successful club than ourselves and whilst they have been poor this season, they would easily be a bigger draw to a player than Bristol City and harder to poach a player from.  It has been 42 years since we were last in the top light !

• Like 1

Fully resigned to fact he leaves by the close of this window - he/we wont take the risk of picking up an injury at the end of the season. He nearly went end of last season was it not for the injury.

Don’t expect us to sign a ready made replacement as we’ll wait on inured players to return or/& sign a lower league striker/play Sam Bell. 

Really hope our scouting network is out there searching for the next AS.

On 22/01/2023 at 10:51, Davefevs said:

Injuries or loss of form aside, who says the net will be bigger or better come summer? His current suitors may/will have moved on by then. Also, come summer, there will be more fish in the sea, so even though he has a bigger net, he won't necessarily land a better catch.

As others have stated, Premier League survival is paramount, so the suitors are possibly more generous at this time due to desperation (clubs notoriously over-pay in the January window).

Also, moving now doesn't rule out another lucrative move in the summer (e.g. Bournemouth relegated, Burnley promoted), including a lovely signing on fee.

So waiting 5 months is a gamble, it may pay off, but a bird in hand may be worth more than those chirping in the bush!

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

But every home club keeps all the receipts.

A few comments have been along the lines of "would Semenyo want to play in front of only 10,500" - I was merely stating that half the time he'd be in front of much much larger crowds. He'd still get his £50K per week - or whatever he negotiates - salary regardless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scrumpty said:

Injuries or loss of form aside, who says the net will be bigger or better come summer? His current suitors may/will have moved on by then. Also, come summer, there will be more fish in the sea, so even though he has a bigger net, he won't necessarily land a better catch.

As others have stated, Premier League survival is paramount, so the suitors are possibly more generous at this time due to desperation (clubs notoriously over-pay in the January window).

Also, moving now doesn't rule out another lucrative move in the summer (e.g. Bournemouth relegated, Burnley promoted), including a lovely signing on fee.

So waiting 5 months is a gamble, it may pay off, but a bird in hand may be worth more than those chirping in the bush!

All very valid arguments.

I hope we’ve made it clear to him and his agent that we won’t entertain any offers at the very end of the window which may leave us with no opportunity to get a replacement.

If his suitors want him and he wants to go (which I fully understand), i’d be telling them to get it sorted in the next few days or he’s here until the summer.

• Like 2