IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

7 minutes ago, Kibs said:

I hope we’ve made it clear to him and his agent that we won’t entertain any offers at the very end of the window which may leave us with no opportunity to get a replacement.

If his suitors want him and he wants to go (which I fully understand), i’d be telling them to get it sorted in the next few days or he’s here until the summer.

Easier said that done, unfortunately. We need the money, period. We can set deadlines but, at the end of the day, if they come up with the cash at the eleventh hour, we will take it. In the meantime, we need to work on lining up replacements (and no doubt, the selling clubs will be making your point to us). Its effectively a game of poker, hence the need these days for expert negotiators.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

One of the biggest problems in that is that extra year of contract counts for so much, also one plays for Stoke, the other Bristol City.

One could argue Stoke are a lot closer to the Premier League and a far bigger club than Bristol City, regardless of how blinkered our fans may be. They may be just below us in the league, but I would imagine most players would feel Stoke are a bigger club and more likely to get promoted than Bristol City any time soon, so it would be hard to prize their better players away, therefore more money needs to be offered. 

In a round about way, any Premier League club would be a better proposition than Bristol City in most players eyes, even if they were to be relegated in 5 months, as they would stand a better chance of going back up, would gain top flight experience and be on a better wage.

It is easier to get into a players head at a smaller club than a bigger club, regardless of what our fans may think.

Semenyo has shown no desire to sign a new deal and whilst he might be attracted to join a Premier League club now, it is not beyond reasonable doubt, he would be happy to leave us in the summer for a top end Championship club.

I actually think he'll be sold this week, but I'm also pretty sure it will be an undisclosed fee.

They're the same size as us. Only reason why you'd say one was bigger was if they were receiving parachute payments. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

They're the same size as us. Only reason why you'd say one was bigger was if they were receiving parachute payments. 

It's arguable, haven't they been in the top division both PL.and First Division for significantly longer than us.

Won more major trophies, played in Europe on occasion but otoh there isn't a lot in it right now certainly.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's arguable, haven't they been in the top division both PL.and First Division for significantly longer than us.

Won more major trophies, played in Europe on occasion but otoh there isn't a lot in it right now certainly.

Bigger is different to more successful.  They've been more successful than us.  Of course.

We are close to each other in the table and our average attendances are really close too.  Similarities in that we have tinpot local rivals too. 

Edited by The Bard
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Bigger is different to more successful.  They've been more successful than us.  Of course.

Fair. Yeah I see similarities between the two clubs but size is, can be subjective. Size and success can overlap- but it's a good comparison.

They can value Souttar at £20-25m but it feels fanciful IMO.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

21 years old,

Transfermarkt have his stats as:

- 77 games

- 11 goals (7 of which were for Villarreal ‘B’ team).

- 33 games, and 3 goals for Villarreal first team.

Crazy money.

Think they just said he’s signed on talksport . Does that put Antoine out of the picture ? 

4 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

This thread taking on an air of Eddie Nketiah…but in reverse. 60+pages and he’s still here. 

Let’s hope by the end of the month that remains the case.

Indeed…provided he is not one p1ssed off player who has seen his immediate riches vanish. Thankfully does not appear to be of that ilk.

38 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Wonder if we’ll regret turning down £10m.

Doesn’t seem to be a long queue of clubs hammering down our door for him, but there may well be when his contract is nearer the end.

Hope this doesn’t turn into a Maynard situation.

Are Championship players being priced out of moved a bit? Or more accurately are PL clubs now looking overseas more often or indeed for PL players who may have run their course as they don't deem Championship sides as valuable as they might have been.

Looking to use the obvious financial gaps to leverage players our as cheaply as possible.

As much as I disliked Mark Ashton he did, in the most part, know when to sell a player to maximise value. The fact he then spiffed the money away on overpriced, overpaid players and left LJ in the lurch sometimes due to timing of sales in the transfer window is another matter.

I hope that Mr Gould hasn’t missed peak value on Semenyo. Could be a very expensive mistake.