IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

7 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

I think that we can but Palace would only offer what we've already accepted: it would be churlish of us to ask for more now - I know we have previous with Palace but it's probably time we let it go.

It's then about who offers Semenyo the better terms/package and completely out of our hands.

So hypothetically, if they wanted to encourage the player to go to them would they not offer us more to assist with the encouragement? Hope that makes sense…. I mean Palace give us a bit more dollar to nudge him towards Palace. We can say “Tony me old luv, show us a tiny bit of loyalty, and go to Palace because they offered us more” that sort of thing.

I’m also assuming palace would match AFCBs player contract offer or better it 

Edited by real_bristol

I couldn’t care less if he goes to Bournemouth, Palace or the moon. As long as the deal is the right thing for BCFC and I personally feel this is. He wasn’t going to sign a new contract and the club has learnt from the Famara and HNM debacles. I just pray we reinvest the money wisely 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, 2015 said:

I just think £9 million plus add ons for a player who has never consistently hit the ground running here for a long spell and is injury prone is quite good money... Providing we have replacements lined up.

If Semenyo improves his finishing he could be worth about 6 times 9 million by the way, the add ons may mean we have a sell on clause.

Every player gets injured. To call him injury prone is a bit ott. As I’ve said on here before , apart from the clubs nobody knows how the deal is structured 

39 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

Are Palarse out of the picture now then? Just heard that Naouirou Ahamada has turned them down, although he’s a midfielder. The beeb are also saying Viera is frustrated with the lack of activity. Am I clutching at straws by hoping for a “Palace swoop for Semenyo” headline? What are the legals, can we accept more than one bid?

He’s joined Bournemouth - If Fabrizo Romano tweets it’s true, he’s probably (after official club statements) the most trusted and reliable source out there. 

Guessing both clubs will announce at popular time today for best exposure 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, brad blit said:

He’s joined Bournemouth - If Fabrizo Romano tweets it’s true, he’s probably (after official club statements) the most trusted and reliable source out there. 

Guessing both clubs will announce at popular time today for best exposure 

Didn’t know he was that reliable. Appreciate the insight ??

• Like 1

It's being reported on local radio in Bournemouth that he has signed a 4 year deal and completed a medical. They stated on their report on the 7.30am sports report that it was for 9m, and it could ride to 10.5m depending on Bournemouths Premier League status.

I suspect there is also a percentage of profit sale on that as well, but from the radio report it sounds like the add on is 1.5m if they stay up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robinforlife2 said:

It's being reported on local radio in Bournemouth that he has signed a 4 year deal and completed a medical. They stated on their report on the 7.30am sports report that it was for 9m, and it could ride to 10.5m depending on Bournemouths Premier League status.

I suspect there is also a percentage of profit sale on that as well, but from the radio report it sounds like the add on is 1.5m if they stay up.

Quite disappointing if true

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

We always used to sell for, what felt like, the right price. This is the first one for a long time (that I can remember) where it feels we have been short changed)

Do you think? It was only a matter of weeks ago that some were suggesting that he was a donkey. A sudden run of form (like ours now) always influences the feeling and I suspect that’s why you’re feeling that way. 

He had a great start to the season, but then really dropped off a cliff when he couldn’t get in ahead of Conway. I think we’ve sold at his peak and I’m fairly comfortable with it. 

When Semenyo is on form, he’s worth probably a little more than 10m, but he really is a fits and starts player. When he’s off form you’d wonder how we’d ever get 3m. 

Trust the process mate. I think we’ve done alright out of it. There’s every chance he could flop you know. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

We always used to sell for, what felt like, the right price. This is the first one for a long time (that I can remember) where it feels we have been short changed)

Could this be a case of Antoine wanting to go, saying he wouldn't sign a new contract If we offered him one and City not wanting to lose out on what they could get now rather then risk holding out for more and no one actually willing to pay it.

I doubt we would have got much more for him in the summer with his contract running down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Think you can definitely make a case that we did with Brownhill, especially as it is obvious that although done separately, the Wells deal was linked.

We don’t know the exact nature of it, so add ons & to state the obvious we are still hamstrung by the Ashton era, too.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Think you can definitely make a case that we did with Brownhill, especially as it is obvious that although done separately, the Wells deal was linked.

We don’t know the exact nature of it, so add ons & to state the obvious we are still hamstrung by the Ashton era, too.

Plus we may be seeing the post-Covid effect on the fees Championship clubs can realistically expect to get.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Pure guesswork but possibly a reason that Bournemouth have managed to get the deal done & Palace haven’t.

I wonder if Palace were/are less likely to agree to some add ons we’d like included whereas a team in trouble will be working harder to get the deal done and may be more generous.

Here’s hoping for a rather large sell on clause included in the deal & Semenyo bangs in plenty second half of the season!

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Do you think? It was only a matter of weeks ago that some were suggesting that he was a donkey. A sudden run of form (like ours now) always influences the feeling and I suspect that’s why you’re feeling that way. 

He had a great start to the season, but then really dropped off a cliff when he couldn’t get in ahead of Conway. I think we’ve sold at his peak and I’m fairly comfortable with it. 

When Semenyo is on form, he’s worth probably a little more than 10m, but he really is a fits and starts player. When he’s off form you’d wonder how we’d ever get 3m. 

Trust the process mate. I think we’ve done alright out of it. There’s every chance he could flop you know. 

I think it’s safe to say we don’t agree on how good Semenyo is which will obviously impact on thoughts of fees.  I think we will see our recent upturn in form regress now he has gone 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, real_bristol said:

Didn’t know he was that reliable. Appreciate the insight ??

He is the Godfather of transfer stories.

11 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Could this be a case of Antoine wanting to go, saying he wouldn't sign a new contract If we offered him one and City not wanting to lose out on what they could get now rather then risk holding out for more and no one actually willing to pay it.

I doubt we would have got much more for him in the summer with his contract running down.

Kid said Antoine was pushing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think it's very difficult to value players these days post-covid due to the market falling off a cliff. 

For what it's worth - I think the add-ons will surely be a bit more appetising than "here's an extra 1.5 if we stay up" and this is ultimately why we accepted. 

I think Semenyo will do well there. I think he will end up having a better career overall than Reid and Bryan.

I'm going to miss watching him, loved his pace, power and rapid improvement over the last 18 months. I just hope we can replace him stylistically because we clearly thrive with a player like him in the side. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, real_bristol said:

Are Palarse out of the picture now then? Just heard that Naouirou Ahamada has turned them down, although he’s a midfielder. The beeb are also saying Viera is frustrated with the lack of activity. Am I clutching at straws by hoping for a “Palace swoop for Semenyo” headline? What are the legals, can we accept more than one bid?

Until the deal is done, its not done. 

Look at the Danjuma deal for example. All set to join Everton, did medical, did media work etc and then he joined Spurs. 

We can accept bids from whoever we like. 

If Semenyos agent is any good he'll be working right up til the deal is done to get his client the best possible deal, be it at Bournemouth or any other club. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think it’s safe to say we don’t agree on how good Semenyo is which will obviously impact on thoughts of fees.  I think we will see our recent upturn in form regress now he has gone 

Please don’t interpret that as me saying I don’t rate semenyo. I really do. On his day he’s a top championship player and probably is low end Prem. I just think that 10m is a lot of money for someone who has as many off days as they do good ones. 

I hope he does well, but I genuinely think it’s a good enough fee, especially as part of the securing the financial stability of the club.

And I don’t think the form will regress… at least I hope not.

He’ll be a big loss that’s for sure, but I think it’s good money.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it's very difficult to value players these days post-covid due to the market falling off a cliff. 

For what it's worth - I think the add-ons will surely be a bit more appetising than "here's an extra 1.5 if we stay up" and this is ultimately why we accepted. 

I think Semenyo will do well there. I think he will end up having a better career overall than Reid and Bryan.

I'm going to miss watching him, loved his pace, power and rapid improvement over the last 18 months. I just hope we can replace him stylistically because we clearly thrive with a player like him in the side. 

I will miss him for sure.  The conversion from wide forward / winger to a central striker / inside forward has helped make the most of his raw power and to some extent his raw ability.  I think he might’ve been a CM at SGS when first spotted.

Holden gave him his first real chance in 20/21, but under Nige he’s blossomed.

I’m interested to see how he does and how they play him.

I agree we will miss what he brings to the team, and it’s up to Nige (and recruitment team) to find solutions to make the sum of the parts work.  I quite like Cornick, seems a sensible signing in terms of where we are financially, and although he’s a bit of a “drifter” positionally, he’s not played LF much in his career.  Assuming he signs it will be interesting to see how he fits in.  It does give us options to play Sykes in the midfield three also, which is where he’s played a lot in his time too.

Good luck Antoine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

That's the crux of it, Fordy. The entire situation we are in dictates the value to us. If we can invest in 2-5 "starters" between now and the end of the summer window as a result of this sale then its ultimately very good business. Its always a shame to lose your best players, but the bigger picture has to win out for few more years yet. 

Yep. I think we’re somewhat damaged goods with regards to selling our best players and the replacements that came in  in the last 5-6 years. The money has been shockingly invested. Perhaps it’s time for Nige to have a chance with the purse strings. 

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes, this is possible. I was told the Lloyd Kelly deal had £7m of add-ons taking the potential deal to £21m. Some of those we may never see. Some, for example, were dependent on England caps. 

It was widely reported our valuation for Antoine was £15m, so I wonder if it's £9m upfront and £6m of potential add-ons. Would then have similarities with the Kelly deal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Yep. I think we’re somewhat damaged goods with regards to selling our best players and the replacements that came in  in the last 5-6 years. The money has been shockingly invested. Perhaps it’s time for Nige to have a chance with the purse strings. 

Sorry to be a misery, but listen to yesterday’s press conference, this isn’t going to happen.

The whole reason Cornick is on our radar is because he’s OoC this summer & we know Luton are low wage payers, (a lot of their fans are *****, but they are excellently run).

Even moving Martin, Klose, Dasilva, HNM, possibly Kalas & those like Moore & Edwards off the wage bill will only mean we are bringing in more Sykes & Wilson type signings.

Pearson said it yesterday, even if after selling Semenyo he won’t have millions to spend.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Sorry to be a misery, but listen to yesterday’s press conference, this isn’t going to happen.

The whole reason Cornick is on our radar is because he’s OoC this summer & we know Luton are low wage payers, (a lot of their fans are *****, but they are excellently run).

Even moving Martin, Klose, Dasilva, HNM, possibly Kalas & those like Moore & Edwards off the wage bill will only mean we are bringing in more Sykes & Wilson type signings.

Pearson said it yesterday, even if after selling Semenyo he won’t have millions to spend.

I meant comparatively in terms of what he’s been allowed this far - but completely take your point. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I meant comparatively in terms of what he’s been allowed this far - but completely take your point. 

No worries.

His critics would of course highlight the Atkinson fee, but as time goes on I sadly think that will be an outlier.

• Like 1