IGNORED

FBC Pod : Season 21/22 Review with Gary Owers

headhunter

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/2122-season-review-with-gary-owers/  [Also on Google, Apple & Spotify]

Our former player, and now Radio Bristol soccer pundit, Gary Owers gives his assessment of the 21/22 season in conversation with Ian Gay & Dave P

There are many positives alongside the usual gripes as the usual close season speculation on transfers gathers pace.

Can, should and will Nigel Pearson be able to persevere with WSM or should the side be built around a played in position Alex Scott, and how would the club react to a fair offer for Andi Weimann are amongst the topics discussed.

• Like 1

Enjoyed both post season podcasts Dave , particularly the first one with Chris Honor And Neil (Found it a really excellent and interesting listen with all making excellent points - Neil’s point about lack of assists from wing backs , the views on our defending , and Kalas , and their discussion about formation preferences spring to mind)

Thought they were an excellent combo and probably the most sensible , interesting , and thought provoking FBC Pod for the season - Thanks - well recommended to anyone who hasn’t listened

Fair Play to Gary Owers for being brave enough to express his views re Josh (Would be easier to duck anything about him)  - and I would agree with him 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Enjoyed both post season podcasts Dave , particularly the first one with Chris Honor And Neil (Found it a really excellent and interesting listen with all making excellent points - Neil’s point about lack of assists from wing backs , the views on our defending , and Kalas , and their discussion about formation preferences spring to mind)

Thought they were an excellent combo and probably the most sensible , interesting , and thought provoking FBC Pod for the season - Thanks - well recommended to anyone who hasn’t listened

Fair Play to Gary Owers for being brave enough to express his views re Josh (Would be easier to duck anything about him)  - and I would agree with him 

Thanks @Sheltons Army

Really nice guy Chris. Doesn't give it the "I know best, because I'm an ex-professional" nonsense.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed both podcasts with some interesting opinions, I had a thought when you guys where going over the possibility of interest in Weimann. 

If he does end up leaving this could give us a solution to getting the best out of Scott but potentially give us a headache next summer.

I'm sure Scott would love to play behind the strikers but this time next year could be a challenge with no Wiemann. If Semenyo (congrats on the call up for Gahna) and Scott kick on as we’d expect I doubt we’d keep both in the summer... we’d be lucky to keep one in my opinion. This leaves us with the ageing Martin and Wells, correct me if I’m wrong but I believe both their contacts will be up that summer? And our younger players Conway, Bell, Edwards etc. 

To me this would leave us with two questions to answer: 

1. Will we be in a financial position to be able to buy, and pay, 1/2 strikers that can push us up the table?

2. Would 1/2 of our young players be ready to step into regular championship football?

This is all hypothetical at the moment and a season is a long time but if we want to be pushing on, the club should be thinking 2/3 summers in advance in my opinion.

Time will tell I suppose but I’d be interested if anyone has any thoughts or notes on this? 

Great intro music:

“21 players out injured at one point” - that’s not true, nor was it true that they were all long term either.

Agree with Ian that we wouldn’t budge on £5-6m for Weimann.  This is where typically market value of a 31 year old and value to us are very different….and people won’t pay what we want, e.g. £10-15m.

I don’t agree that Kalas’s injury was the reason we stopped shipping goals.  Correlation not causation.  Likely that we finally got a settled side….and players got used to each other, and what was needed of each other.

Love listening to Gary Owers, top pro, top summariser / pundit.

• Like 1

Nice one @headhunter.

My recollection is that Gary agreed with Ian's assessment that AW was worth £10-15 million (taken from Fev's post above as I couldn't quite remember the large numbers involved :)). I was quite taken aback by this, but we'll see what the market decides. I suppose it wouldn't be out of the question for one of the relegated teams to go for a quick fix to get them back up to the Prem.

The discussion around our recruitment strategy struck a nerve because I think we all agree that getting this right is crucial to our future success and we're all concerned and confused about City's approach to this.

Anyway, appreicate you doing this.