IGNORED

Klose - new contract signed

And Its Smith

28 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Not sure why we’d get rid of Kalas 

???

It will cost us over £3m in 22/23 if we let him run his contract down.

Id happily sit him down and extend his contract, reducing his wage in the process, but if he won’t do that, it’s exactly the same as Massengo…except dearer! ?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’m very disappointed with this. 

I prefer the threads that go on for 20+ pages before the signing is announced. You know the sort of thing - rumour, speculation, he’s going to sign, oh no he’s not, oh yes he is etc. 

That’s pretty much why I bleat on the OS being the only reliable source…………..:dunno:

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Not sure why we’d get rid of Kalas 

Don't think the club should try hard to persuade him to stay apart from the season alongside Webster (which was on loan) he"s been average at best and poor on many occasions. Not been worth the fee or the salary maybe it would be good for both parties if he moved on. 

• Flames 1

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

???

It will cost us over £3m in 22/23 if we let him run his contract down.

Id happily sit him down and extend his contract, reducing his wage in the process, but if he won’t do that, it’s exactly the same as Massengo…except dearer! ?

I still believe he may be one of the 4 players that Pearson mentioned he had spoken to on sound of the city. 

A more even wage structure points in that direction. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I still believe he may be one of the 4 players that Pearson mentioned he had spoken to on sound of the city. 

Still think it was Moore, Vyner, Palmer and Bakinson.  Think those are the players with “no future, I’ll get rid of them” type comments.

Kalas, I’m sure he’d like to stay, but agree that he’d want to bring his salary down too.  If he doesn’t want to do that then he’ll try to move him on, but different category to the other four, imho.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

That’s pretty much why I bleat on the OS being the only reliable source…………..:dunno:

The OS is reliable, but where is the fun in being reliable? The forum is much more fun, as it’s crazy. 

image.jpeg.46ef79fe5a2b7f8b4434eb66470b12bf.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I don't think Pearson is in the habit of letting quality players like Kalas walk out the door. Imo, whilst he wants more wage equality across the squad, his preference is for Kalas to stay and the wage equality to be achieved by him signing an extension to the 1 year he's got left but on reduced terms. 

Whether or not we've got value for money so far out of Kalas is open to debate, we probably haven't, but going forward the player agreeing a longer contract on reduced terms would improve that situation. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I don't think Pearson is in the habit of letting quality players like Kalas walk out the door. Imo, whilst he wants more wage equality across the squad, his preference is for Kalas to stay and the wage equality to be achieved by him signing an extension to the 1 year he's got left but on reduced terms. 

Whether or not we've got value for money so far out of Kalas is open to debate, we probably haven't, but going forward the player agreeing a longer contract on reduced terms would improve that situation. 

Not at all suggesting Kalas hasn't done enough to stay, in fact I would have him in our strongest team. 

However, it warrants him reducing his wages in order to stay, or we risk losing him for free next summer.

Therefore it leaves Pearson with a decision to make. The likes of Bentley and Dasilva are in similar situations, but I don't believe that their wages aren't on the same level as Kalas'. 

• Like 2

If Kalas stays,  I can see him playing RWB with a central three of Klose, Atkinson and Naismith and Jay at LWB.  Scotty and Williams in Midfield and WSM upfront and you’ve got a line up that could take on any other championship team and give them a game.

• Robin 1

18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is good news...must herald a few outgoing too. Glad we kept Klose, mix of experience and quality- can pass it on to younger CBs too.

On the books we have- and not including the potential for Cundy to remain...and one or two of these can play more than one position.

Players who can play CB as 1st position

Kalas, Atkinson, Baker, Klose, Moore, Idehen,

Players who can play CB but other bits too

Vyner, Naismith, Towler

Think Pring has slotted in at CB before once or twice- but not enough for consideration.

Kalas played right back when on loan for Middlesbrough.  Could it be something Pearson might try?

3 hours ago, Malago said:

If Kalas stays,  I can see him playing RWB with a central three of Klose, Atkinson and Naismith and Jay at LWB.  Scotty and Williams in Midfield and WSM upfront and you’ve got a line up that could take on any other championship team and give them a game.

Balance wise I don’t think we will play three left footed CBs. I also don’t think Kalas can play WB from an attacking perspective, NP will be looking for an actual WB if we play that formation, no more square pegs in round holes. 
I’d like us to keep TK but I won’t be too disappointed if he does leave and we get a few quid for him. He’s a good defender but not sure he makes enough difference compared to his wages. Cundy came in for him at the end of last season (on a mere fraction of what TK is on) and it coincided with possibly our best run of form

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

Balance wise I don’t think we will play three left footed CBs. I also don’t think Kalas can play WB from an attacking perspective, NP will be looking for an actual WB if we play that formation, no more square pegs in round holes. 
I’d like us to keep TK but I won’t be too disappointed if he does leave and we get a few quid for him. He’s a good defender but not sure he makes enough difference compared to his wages. Cundy came in for him at the end of last season (on a mere fraction of what TK is on) and it coincided with possibly our best run of form

Klose is right footed, he might be decent with his left too, but that’s his stronger one.

It is true to say Cundy’s time in the team was when we had some of our best form but it is too simplistic to say that it was because he was playing & Kalas wasn’t.

Atkinson was back in good form by then, the whole team was far more settled than previously & the pressure was off as the bottom 3 were adrift.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1