IGNORED

free kicks to replace throw ins?

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

I'm no hockey fan, but think I'm right in saying that the bully off to start the game and rolling the ball in when it went out of play were equally historic parts of that game.

However, both have been confined to history.

Those of my age will remember the proper tackle as an equally historic part of the game, but that is now re-classified as a foul and more than often attracts a yellow, and sometimes a red, card!

I can remember bullying off when I played hockey for the school. Hockey also gave me my most frightening sporting experience when some idiot of a games master thought it would be a good idea if the boys played the girls. It was like being the lambs to the slaughter opposition of the St Trinians hockey team. 

7 minutes ago, grifty said:

Ray Parlour made a good point on Talksport this morning that if they want to speed the game up with throw-ins, if you don’t take it within 5 seconds, it goes to the other team like a foul throw.

Ban towels, or putting the ball up your shirt (“doing a Tomlin”) to dry it.

7 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

It just feels like those people on committees , feeling like they have to justify their wage by making change for change sake.

They could spend their time better by clamping down on keepers spending an age on a goal kick, that will only be lumped down the middle anyway. And if they were so intent in speeding the game up (even more), was allowing the defenders in the area to accept a short goal kick ? How many times have you seen the keeper debating whether to use the short pass, only to decide it's not worth it and start the process of getting ready for a long kick all over again.

This kick in was suggested years ago, I'm sure. Should be confined to the bin along with World Cups every 2 years.

The former has increased ball rolling time. 

Regarding restarts (goal kicks) the latter.

DELAYING THE RESTART OF PLAY

Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by:

• appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to a team-mate to take
  • delaying leaving the field of play when being substituted
  • excessively delaying a restart
  • kicking or carrying the ball away, or provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play
  • taking a free kick from the wrong position to force a retake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

automatic yellow for any oppo player interfering with taking of a free kick.

....and move the free kick forward 10 yards.

Don't know why they stopped doing that.

• Like 1

I have to disagree with Arsene on this.....the biggest contributor to time wasting is all the play acting / injury feigning and blatant cheating....what is needed is referees with a backbone to punish this and other time wasting strategies - they would then eliminate it.

18 hours ago, grifty said:

Ray Parlour made a good point on Talksport this morning that if they want to speed the game up with throw-ins, if you don’t take it within 5 seconds, it goes to the other team like a foul throw.

The trouble with this, and it introduces a fundamental problems with the kick in as well is when does the 5 seconds start? If it's as soon as the ball is kicked out then the proverbial row z will be hit every time. If it's from when the thrower picks up the ball then they'll leave it on the floor. If, after 5 seconds no kick in is taken then it reverts to a throw in which opens more time wasting opportunities.

Like most proposed changes, it's worth undergoing a feasibility test at least, not necessarily a trial. But the most important "change" that needs to be made before anything else is consistent implementation of the existing rules.

Bringing it back to throw ins briefly, as @Silvio Dante will attest, seeing some of our under 10's taking throw ins makes the kick in sound like a positively wonderful idea! ?

• Haha 1