IGNORED

Peter Crouch - Contract Clauses.

Bristol Rob

Interesting. Bit of a shame they couldn't, or didn't, find a lawyer who could have gone into a bit of depth around a few things such as agent's duties to clients and the like. Also not having an agent in the conversation when Crouch is saying "ah well the agent dealt with that". Bit odd to be discussing something like that and not getting those interested parties in for the chat.

Referring to paragraph 11 of schedule 2 without referring to the clauses within the contract which refer to or incorporate Schedule 2. That's odd as although it's interesting to know that there's a clause that says retirement age is 35, we're not told why that is important within the terms of the broader contract. Bloke even says "why is this in here? Read the rest of the contract mate and you'll see. There's probably a clause that says "Upon the occurrence of any event listed in Schedule 2, X happens". Maybe a pay reduction, maybe a review of the terms, maybe even termination of the contract (although that's legally dubious).

Confirmation of 45% relegation pay cut is interesting. So Stoke come down, get parachute payments and also cut their wage bill by 45% (assuming every player has that same % in their contract). And then they still need to claim £30m in "lost potential revenue due to Covid"!!! Not every Prem team has relegation pay cuts. Palace don't, and Everton don't for example - hence relegation would have been huge had they come down. Most of the teams likely to come down do have them though.

Overall it's interesting, and I appreciate getting some insight, but it's a fairly superficial chat.

• Like 1

I've only yet watched about half the chat but like you @ExiledAjaxI was quite surprised about a few things.

The retirement thing I wondered if after that age a player would be entitled to at least part of their pension from the FA or something. Only I guess if they weren't contracted to a club, or was an option for them to leave (or the club could ask them to leave) and get this pension, otherwise why have that clause. It maybe is an exit route for all parties?

I found myself getting annoyed about the thought of clubs getting parachute payments and cutting players wages. For a long time I have been asking why a player is happy to take a hefty increase in wages upon promotion but have to be paid using parachute payments and won't accept a similar cut upon relegation? I did understand about some clubs wanting to keep players so were prepared to still pay them premiership wages, but that should be down to the club to manage, not Parachute funded. If they can't manage, tough, they face losing their star players. Such is football. It would allow a much more even Championship which would filter down through league one etc.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

The retirement thing I wondered if after that age a player would be entitled to at least part of their pension from the FA or something. Only I guess if they weren't contracted to a club, or was an option for them to leave (or the club could ask them to leave) and get this pension, otherwise why have that clause. It maybe is an exit route for all parties?

Yes, was linked to Pension.

https://www.lawinsport.com/blogs/mills-reeve/item/planning-for-retirement-the-financial-life-cycle-of-a-professional-footballer

Edited by Davefevs
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I found myself getting annoyed about the thought of clubs getting parachute payments and cutting players wages. For a long time I have been asking why a player is happy to take a hefty increase in wages upon promotion but have to be paid using parachute payments and won't accept a similar cut upon relegation?

You and me both. Parachute payments were introduced IIRC after the Bradford calamity, when they plummeted down the divisions due to unavoidable and unsustainable salary costs (hmmm, who else had the same issue a while back?)

Now, most sensible clubs have a wage structure such that players' wages are cut if they drop. Ergo, no need for parachute payments.

All they do is make for the ludicrous situation of clubs like Norwich, Fulham and WBA bouncing between divisions.

• Like 1