IGNORED

The Open St Andrews

Red Army 75

On 14/07/2022 at 10:57, chalkeyred said:

I've played to an ok standard over many years, playing a fair amount of competitive golf.

I can tell you I have never been as nervous as I have been on that first tee..... Shaking so much, I struggled to get the ball on the tee!

?

Further to your reply 're" if you can't hit the fairway on the first at st Andrews.." I give you Ian Baker Finch, an Aussie golfer good enough to WIN the Open in 1991 but in 1995 famously hooked it out of bounds on the very same 1st hole of his first round of the Open @St Andrews. I can see it now? poor bloke and apparently he was fine practising but just got the yips when it mattered...

On 14/07/2022 at 15:04, Ronnie Sinclair said:

On a similar note, was reading this earlier on never heard of him before, the 'Phantom of the Open'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/62121946

Worth a watch even if you don't like golf,  very gentle, sweet film. 

2 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

Further to your reply 're" if you can't hit the fairway on the first at st Andrews.." I give you Ian Baker Finch, an Aussie golfer good enough to WIN the Open in 1991 but in 1995 famously hooked it out of bounds on the very same 1st hole of his first round of the Open @St Andrews. I can see it now? poor bloke and apparently he was fine practising but just got the yips when it mattered...

Worth a watch even if you don't like golf,  very gentle, sweet film. 

The first time I played there Will, it was blowing a gale and OOB right was definitely in play.... Solid driver, then good 8 iron just over the burn.... For perspective, we drove the 18th... 

The second time I played it, I dinked a 3 iron down there, then chipped over the Swilcan Burn from about 5 yards short of it.... Crazy place.

Maurice Flitcroft - my favourite pub quiz question ? I have read the book, and a shame they didn't mention his calamitous high diving act at holiday camps when he was young - more Eddie the Eagle than Seve....

?

23 hours ago, chalkeyred said:

The first time I played there Will, it was blowing a gale and OOB right was definitely in play.... Solid driver, then good 8 iron just over the burn.... For perspective, we drove the 18th... 

The second time I played it, I dinked a 3 iron down there, then chipped over the Swilcan Burn from about 5 yards short of it.... Crazy place.

Maurice Flitcroft - my favourite pub quiz question ? I have read the book, and a shame they didn't mention his calamitous high diving act at holiday camps when he was young - more Eddie the Eagle than Seve....

?

Ah I'd love to have a look one day or even play some links style at some point . Just returned to the game after many years and don't think I'd get my money's worth playing on a big name course...

Edited by Will Rollason