IGNORED

The Open St Andrews

Red Army 75

Great to see the open back at the home of golf. Could be some low scores this year as the wind doesn’t look that strong according to the forecast. Fancy Rory this year . Fitzpatrick is obviously in form and would also like Fleetwood to be up there. But would love to see Tiger win it but I doubt it

Who do you think will win it

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Great to see the open back at the home of golf. Could be some low scores this year as the wind doesn’t look that strong according to the forecast. Fancy Rory this year . Fitzpatrick is obviously in form and would also like Fleetwood to be up there. But would love to see Tiger win it but I doubt it

I also think Rory will be up there. Will Fiztpatrick have a hangover after his win? I hope not, that bunker shot was pure genius. Those are my two I hope to win.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Justin Thomas and Patrick Cantlay are my 2 to follow.

32 minutes ago, chalkeyred said:

Hate to say it, but I think an American is likely to win, with a very low score...

Has anybody on this forum played at St Andrews?

I've been very lucky......?

Lucky you indeed. The bunkers look difficult on TV . Bet they are very daunting when you are actually in one

33 minutes ago, chalkeyred said:

Hate to say it, but I think an American is likely to win, with a very low score...

I always think that first tee shot is so easy! You have to be pretty bad to miss the fairway.

1 hour ago, chalkeyred said:

Yes...I've been lucky in the ballot as well. You can just feel the energy and history. I found Troon a much harder test though.

All I hope is someone from the LIV tour doesn't win. 

I hear Poulter got booed.

Edited by spudski

38 minutes ago, Super said:

I always think that first tee shot is so easy! You have to be pretty bad to miss the fairway.

I've played to an ok standard over many years, playing a fair amount of competitive golf.

I can tell you I have never been as nervous as I have been on that first tee..... Shaking so much, I struggled to get the ball on the tee!

?

Just reading about the chap who blagged his way into the Open Qualifiers on the BBC Sport website. Hilarious.

Reminds me of my only golfing ‘honour’. I played the Brabazon at The Belfry while working in Tamworth. We had a group of lads some of whom were proper golfers with single handicaps, others like me played the municipal course for fun. Anyhow, The Belfry in their wisdom released an offer, I think it was around £20 to play the Brabazon, Derby with a meal thrown in!

The day arrived, I turned up with my antique set of clubs in a skeleton golf bag dating from the 20’s that had more metal frame showing than leather. First hole I think was sub -double figures, but excelled on the second going for 23! Bastards had designed a hole surrounded entirely by railway sleepers and bunkers. As it was a pure fluke if I managed to get the ball in flight, let alone 6’ in the air to clear the sleepers, then to stop it on a fast green before it fell off the edge, well, that hole exceeded my abilities x10! Wouldn’t give up - despite the pleadings of my group - as it was the second hole and I wanted to register a score! Can remember after I finally putted out, looking back at the tee where about a dozen golfers had collected waiting to play. Nightmare.

Did, however, manage to recover and do recall a par on the back 9. 

My honour was… within two weeks the Belfry banned non-handicap golfers. Belated apologies to all those behind me. We did sprint around the rest of the Course though and managed to finish around the average time taken for 18 holes. 

Fortunately news of my golfing antics didn’t reach Cornwall, and at another work golf day down here I did manage a minor honour being second closest to the hole at St Merryn (if that’s the name of the Championship course outside of Plymuff). 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, chalkeyred said:

I've played to an ok standard over many years, playing a fair amount of competitive golf.

I can tell you I have never been as nervous as I have been on that first tee..... Shaking so much, I struggled to get the ball on the tee!

?

It's the most arse clenching feeling ever.

Like you...played ok standard at competitive golf 

But when they announce your name on the tee, everyone watching goes quiet, all eyes on you...most wanting you to duff it. 

You can hear your heart beat...just getting it on the fairway is a relief ??

24 minutes ago, chalkeyred said:

?

Ha ha yes I can imagine I would def be nervous as well!

1 hour ago, spudski said:

But when they announce your name on the tee, everyone watching goes quiet, all eyes on you...most wanting you to duff it. 

It may be wide, but you definitely start thinking about it..... ? I had an 8ft putt for birdie on 17, never tried so hard on a putt in all my life, and left it 2 inches short..... ?

Where do you play spudski? Did you ever play Bristol & District / County?

I've not played Troon yet but I'm at Royal Birkdale at the end of the month.....

49 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

When I tee off at Woodlands I get uneasy if people are watching. 

Golf Sprinkler GIF

The worst is def when a group lets you play through then you hit the worst shot ever!?

I managed to hit a tree they were all stood under once!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Super said:

The worst is def when a group lets you play through then you hit the worst shot ever!?

I managed to hit a tree they were all stood under once!

Such a strange game mentally. I’ve been playing most Monday afternoons recently and it isn’t very busy which is excellent for me. Been shooting mid 80s recently around woodlands . If it was busy I expect it would be high 90s.  :yes:

11 minutes ago, chalkeyred said:

It may be wide, but you definitely start thinking about it..... ? I had an 8ft putt for birdie on 17, never tried so hard on a putt in all my life, and left it 2 inches short..... ?

Where do you play spudski? Did you ever play Bristol & District / County?

I've not played Troon yet but I'm at Royal Birkdale at the end of the month.....

Sounds about right. ??

I don't play anymore, sadly no time. However I intend to start again in the future.

I started playing as a junior at Chipping Sodbury. Team golf. Then continued through adulthood. 

Then moved around a bit, became member at Stockwood Vale, Saltford, Players and Kendleshire. 

Played team golf in Bristol and District and in Somerset over the years. Captained team at Somerset Bowl final etc etc. Won Club Championships.

Played lots of individual tournaments as well. 

I had too many interests. Jack of all trades, master of none. 

Then Skiing took over. Which I turned pro at.

My only regret in life is I didn't turn pro at golf.  I got asked to be assistant pro at Sodbury under Terry Mercer when still a teenager. Went to college instead.

Would never have made it as a touring pro...both my cousin's were, and they were better than me...and they struggled.

But as a teaching Club pro...I reckon I could have achieved that back in the day.

Good memories.

I'd hack it round now with my arthritic hands. ?

15 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Such a strange game mentally. I’ve been playing most Monday afternoons recently and it isn’t very busy which is excellent for me. Been shooting mid 80s recently around woodlands . If it was busy I expect it would be high 90s.  :yes:

They still got 2 courses? Is it Signature and Masters? Haven't played there in ages.

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Ye that’s exactly right. 20 quid a round. Reckon it’s good value. Some nice holes on the courses. Signature the best course IMO if you were to dust off your clubs

Can you still just rock up and play or is it bookings now?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Two decent stories about that:

1. Was in a tournament at the beautiful course of Goring and Streatley. Got announced onto the tee and hit my shot about 30 yards into thick rough before exclaiming ‘SHIT’ far too loud for anyones liking.  The announcer said ‘it wasn’t even THAT good’

2. different course and I forget where but a very tricky course is all I can remember.  One guy who looked particularly nervous had been told what a tricky day lay ahead.  First shot…air shot, second shot…..air shot.  He turned to his pal and said ‘you’re right Steve, this is a tough course’

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Haha 5

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

Sounds about right. ??

I don't play anymore, sadly no time. However I intend to start again in the future.

I started playing as a junior at Chipping Sodbury. Team golf. Then continued through adulthood. 

Then moved around a bit, became member at Stockwood Vale, Saltford, Players and Kendleshire. 

Played team golf in Bristol and District and in Somerset over the years. Captained team at Somerset Bowl final etc etc. Won Club Championships.

Played lots of individual tournaments as well. 

I had too many interests. Jack of all trades, master of none. 

Then Skiing took over. Which I turned pro at.

My only regret in life is I didn't turn pro at golf.  I got asked to be assistant pro at Sodbury under Terry Mercer when still a teenager. Went to college instead.

Would never have made it as a touring pro...both my cousin's were, and they were better than me...and they struggled.

But as a teaching Club pro...I reckon I could have achieved that back in the day.

Good memories.

I'd hack it round now with my arthritic hands. ?

I played a lot at Sodding Chipbury in BDGL during the late 80's, early 90's. Think we had a League Finals day there one year?

Sounds a similar story - had the same assistant offers at Worlebury & WSMGC, but realised I wasn't a good enough player so decided to play for fun....

I'm still mates with Scott Readman, who worked with Terry Mercer at some point - do you know him?

Member at Burnham for some 20 odd years, and still have a bit of involvement with Somerset Golf (Over 35's).

Youngest daughter is playing now though, so that keeps me interested now she's starting to hit it past me!

4 minutes ago, chalkeyred said:

I played a lot at Sodding Chipbury in BDGL during the late 80's, early 90's. Think we had a League Finals day there one year?

Sounds a similar story - had the same assistant offers at Worlebury & WSMGC, but realised I wasn't a good enough player so decided to play for fun....

I'm still mates with Scott Readman, who worked with Terry Mercer at some point - do you know him?

Member at Burnham for some 20 odd years, and still have a bit of involvement with Somerset Golf (Over 35's).

Youngest daughter is playing now though, so that keeps me interested now she's starting to hit it past me!

We've probably crossed paths then. ☺️

Yes I know Scott. Terry was a lovely chap. Went to Lansdown.

Dave Wood and the Durbin brothers were the best players at Sodders when I was there.

I bump into Darren Read a lot. He's worked his way up from assistant to well established club pro locally. Top lad.

I love Burnham...what a track. Lucky man.

Great your daughter has taken it up.

I'd always recommend a child joining a golf club ..they learn so many life skills ??

Well all 4 of my each way gets finished under par so I’ll take that.

I don’t really play masses with time commitments for work as other interests, remember playing a month or two ago, had a couple of guys sat behind us waiting for their turn on the first tee just casually talking to us, mentioning how I just want it to go straight as it was the first time I’d played in a year bar a couple of driving range trips, manage to hit my 6 iron about 170/180 and dead straight, just get a comment from behind me ‘not played in a year huh’ ?