IGNORED

Books about football - suggestions please

Jerseybean

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

One piece is on City and titled "Thighs of an Elephant" referring to super Bob.  I no longer have the book or would credit the writer of that piece.

Matt Nation - A big City fan and used to be quite a prolific writer for When Saturday Comes. No idea what he is doing now though.

edit - maybe not such a big City fan any more https://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30-Clubs/4739-city-break

Edited by richwwtk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Matt Nation - A big City fan and used to be quite a prolific writer for When Saturday Comes. No idea what he is doing now though.

edit - maybe not such a big City fan any more https://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30-Clubs/4739-city-break

I got as far as when he wrote he "couldn’t be arsed" and .... kept reading. This lad is truly one of us. He couldn't be arsed watching us anymore. Good lad!

Only thing that puzzled me was him seeing replica shirts everywhere as I have always thought that compared to other clubs' more enthusiastic fans when it comes to sporting our colours, we, generally, er, can't be arsed.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I used to work with a big Gashead, Steve Nation, in the 1990's. I've got a nagging feeling this Matt Nation is his brother.

11 hours ago, tandy said:

The Nowhere Men: The Unknown Story of Football's True Talent Spotters

Great book about talent scouts, and some really interesting stories, including some Bristol City ones

The Nowhere Men: The Unknown Story of Football's True Talent Spotters: Amazon.co.uk: Calvin, Michael: 9780099580263: Books

51rOR-awPAL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I’m sure I once saw a book with the same title - The Nowhere Men: The Well Known Story of the Bristol Rovers Defence

On 18/07/2022 at 13:10, In the Net said:

Steaming In - Colin Ward - one of the early books about following football in the 1970's and 1980's.  It isn't one of those typical hooligan type books - "we ran everybody off our manor", blah, blah, blah.  An authentic account from somebody who was there at the time, not a main protaganist.  It's been years since I read it, but I felt that it painted a true picture of what it was like to be on the terraces. 

Classic.  Scally was my favourite of that genre.

• Like 1

Three others.

Suzy Wrack's best-selling A Woman's Game,

The hilarious tale of a Sunday League man in the middle Reffing Hell,

Underground, Overgroundthe story of the fan ownership movement and the challenge it poses to what football has become.   

7 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Three others.

Suzy Wrack's best-selling A Woman's Game,

The hilarious tale of a Sunday League man in the middle Reffing Hell,

Underground, Overgroundthe story of the fan ownership movement and the challenge it poses to what football has become.   

Have you read Underground, Overground? Decent?