IGNORED

Sam Bell signs new 3 year deal

Chessels Chick

Seeing as he was already under contract until 2024 I’m not really seeing the point of this.

We have loads of players who will be out of contract next summer & in truth would much rather it had been one of those.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Seeing as he was already under contract until 2024 I’m not really seeing the point of this.

We have loads of players who will be out of contract next summer & in truth would much rather it had been one of those.

Reward wage wise to reflect the status within the squad now, same as Conway

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Assuming that he has a good season, whether with us or out on loan then he would have been entering the last 12 months of his contract at the end of this coming season. From the clubs perspective better to extend now than having to negotiate then when clubs may be looking to swoop.

Ferguson was always trying to tie down players with 2 years left….he didn’t want them to get to their last summer, when negotiations started to swing in their favour.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

So was Conway?

Must admit I see Conway as an important squad member now & don’t regard Bell the same way.

Not that this makes the slightest difference to how NP views him, of course.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Both him and Conway are very talented young forwards, I see both having bright futures as they learn and progress over the next few seasons. Both need game time at senior level whether that is here or in the lower leagues.

I don’t really see SB making it here to be honest. Not as a forward anyway…

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Quite possibly, it's always the most difficult step, stepping up to the first team.

I think he has done fairly well but mainly been played out of position so difficult to assess his ability as a forward. Only just turned 20 so has plenty of time to adapt and make an impression, far to early to make any judgement on the kid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Must admit I see Conway as an important squad member now & don’t regard Bell the same way.

Bell has played more first team football and more championship football then conway

2 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Quite possibly, it's always the most difficult step, stepping up to the first team.

I think he has done fairly well but mainly been played out of position so difficult to assess his ability as a forward. Only just turned 20 so has plenty of time to adapt and make an impression, far to early to make any judgement on the kid.

Yes of course. Just feel he needs to add a bit of edge to his game. Something TC has in abundance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I see it the same way. I think Conway making more of an impact than Bell. 

3 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Aaron Wilbraham wasn’t either for the vast majority on here! Who really knows.

He may, he may not, make it as a forward or otherwise, but Pearson has not given the nod to this if he thought the chances were less than 50/50 minimum. 

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

Well done Sam Bell. Reward for progress , and potential, and levelling up closer to to other first team squad players. Too many years we took the eye off of the ball on these type of players (Reid/Bryan) . Club clearly feel there is a lot more to come. 

It is a very good point.  Pay them around the amount they’re worth, don’t underpay them because they are local / through the academy.  The examples are bang on.

13 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I’m not convinced by Bell yet but he is young. Last season he was roughly the age of Semenyo in Johnson’s final season and I remember a lot of people - me included - feeling Semenyo did not contribute effectively on the pitch. He then made massive leaps and bounds over the following two seasons.

I am not saying Bell will do the same but young forwards and wingers often look ineffective when they first step up a level until it all clicks. Bell is obviously well regarded within the club and has time on his side. By the end of this new contract we’ll have a much better idea of to what extent he can deliver on his potential.

Sam Bell and Tommy Conway have come up through City's youth system together and know each others game so well it's almost telepathic. It's one of the reasons that the development squads have been so successful in recent years. The problem Sam has is that at 1st team level he and Tommy are currently being viewed as either or rather than as a pair, so one will by necessity advance faster than the other. At present Tommy would appear to have the lead as a striker because he seems more physically mature than Sam. It may be that we don't see the best of either until they can spearhead City's front line together, something envisaged by Tinnion down the line.