IGNORED

Indy article- City retention

Nuno Gomes

Bristol City are the only non-Premier League club to have retained their 11 most-used players ahead of the new season in England, PA analysis reveals.

The Championship side have held on to players who accumulated more than 92 per cent of league minutes in 2021-22, the highest retention rate in the English Football League (EFL), with manager Nigel Pearson able to call upon 17 of his 18 most regular picks from last season.

Wigan are next on the list for squad retention, with players responsible for 91 per cent of their minutes under contract, followed by Coventry (86 per cent).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Nuno Gomes said:

Bristol City are the only non-Premier League club to have retained their 11 most-used players ahead of the new season in England, PA analysis reveals.

The Championship side have held on to players who accumulated more than 92 per cent of league minutes in 2021-22, the highest retention rate in the English Football League (EFL), with manager Nigel Pearson able to call upon 17 of his 18 most regular picks from last season.

Wigan are next on the list for squad retention, with players responsible for 91 per cent of their minutes under contract, followed by Coventry (86 per cent).

Can only be a positive thing I would say most successful teams have a squad retention over three years with the odd couple of additions each year. Can only see us being successful maybe this season maybe next.

Trying to work out who has left who was in the top 18. Would it be Cundy?

Like others, I think it is a good thing. I think we need to be realistic that the fact we've not cashed in on any of our key players is also the reason we've not brought in as many players as we might have hoped but, from Pearson's interviews, that sounds like a conscious decision from the club and I'd personally rather we kept Semenyo and Scott even if it means that we've not signed a defender or defensive midfielder or additional striker that we might have had money for had we cashed in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Ah yes - I forget he was playing quite a bit early in the season. 

Yeh racked up about 1,250 minutes across 20 league appearances last season (precise total depends on your source). Mostly in the middle of the season between games 10 and 30ish.

Cundy got just under 900 mins and is probably number 19 on the list they're looking at.

Think this is slightly misleading as Baker hasn’t been included but clearly isn’t going to play again, so of those who have left;

O’Dowda started 16 & came on as a sub in 4.

Cundy started 10 & came on as a sub in 4.

Bakinson started 10 & came on as a sub in 3.

Simpson started 2 & came on as a sub in 1.
Palmer started 1 & came on sub in 5. Janneh came on as a sub once.

Baker started 13 & came on as a sub twice.

O’Dowda is the only player of the 17 that we used most last season to actually depart.

Edited by GrahamC

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

O’Dowda is the only player of the 17 that we used most last season to actually depart.

Graham, that is exactly the point that's being made. We've retained the vast majority of the most used players from last season. It's a sign that we have real squad stability over this summer.

• Thanks 2

• Admin
2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh racked up about 1,250 minutes across 20 league appearances last season (precise total depends on your source). Mostly in the middle of the season between games 10 and 30ish

Aka our worst spell

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am sure this is due in no small part to the fact that we had no loanees, who played lots of games and have now returned to their parent clubs.

Also, the manager made his mind up about certain individuals soon enough and then didn't pick them, giving playing time to those he viewed as part of the future. He then got rid of the ones he didn't want.   All very logical.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Aka our worst spell

Pretty much. Not sure it can all be laid at COD's door, but yeh we certainly gained more ppg when he wasn't in the squad. Probably one reason he's been let go.

So his season can be broken into 3 parts. 

Games 1-8 in which he played in the opening game and then wasn't in the squad for the next 7. IIRC he got injured very early on. Our ppg was 1.5, GD of +1.

Games 9 through 31 in which he was included in every squad bar game 23 (Huddersfield at home). ppg of 1.08, GD of -15.

And then games 32 through 46 in which he again never made the squad. ppg of 1.2, GD of -1.

• Admin
1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pretty much. Not sure it can all be laid at COD's door, but yeh we certainly gained more ppg when he wasn't in the squad. Probably one reason he's been let go.

So his season can be broken into 3 parts. 

Games 1-8 in which he played in the opening game and then wasn't in the squad for the next 7. IIRC he got injured very early on. Our ppg was 1.5, GD of +1.

Games 9 through 31 in which he was included in every squad bar game 23 (Huddersfield at home). ppg of 1.08, GD of -15.

And then games 32 through 46 in which he again never made the squad. ppg of 1.2, GD of -1.

I didn't mean to suggest he was the sole reason for that spell but he wasn't integral to our recovery.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Trying to work out who has left who was in the top 18. Would it be Cundy?

Like others, I think it is a good thing. I think we need to be realistic that the fact we've not cashed in on any of our key players is also the reason we've not brought in as many players as we might have hoped but, from Pearson's interviews, that sounds like a conscious decision from the club and I'd personally rather we kept Semenyo and Scott even if it means that we've not signed a defender or defensive midfielder or additional striker that we might have had money for had we cashed in. 

image.thumb.png.048fb551ccd462c9d14cc81757aa2dcf.png

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

We are celebrating the fact we have kept most of our squad together, when we finished 17th, and have added 4 new players of which 3 have never played in the championship!

flipside:

a team that missed Joe Williams for large chunks

a team that now includes Luton POTY, Champ TOTS, Kal Naismith

a team playing Alex Scott not at RWB

I could go on.

half full v half empty...fine margins, etc, etc

7 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

We are celebrating the fact we have kept most of our squad together, when we finished 17th, and have added 4 new players of which 3 have never played in the championship!

We have moved on players we wanted to move on and kept players we wanted to keep.

Unless you think we should have got rid of Bentley, Atkinson, Tanner, Dasilva, Williams, Weimann, Scott, Semenyo etc. etc.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I don't see anyone really celebrating it. We're noting it, because it's notable. Whether it proves correct or not is where the excitement of the next 10 months lies.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

flipside:

a team that missed Joe Williams for large chunks

a team that now includes Luton POTY, Champ TOTS, Kal Naismith

a team playing Alex Scott not at RWB

I could go on.

half full v half empty...fine margins, etc, etc

A team that played/carried O'Dowda for 20 or so games, but no longer has to do that.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, chinapig said:

We have moved on players we wanted to move on and kept players we wanted to keep.

Unless you think we should have got rid of Bentley, Atkinson, Tanner, Dasilva, Williams, Weimann, Scott, Semenyo etc. etc.

Weimann scott and semenyo are our key players, i dont think the others mentioned are anything other than average championship players, at best.