IGNORED

Coventry City Carabao Cup away match day thread

Probably more of a team for Saturday given the need to rest some, but a box midfield with King and Massengo holding, Scott and Sykes running at them, supporting Weimann. 

....................Bentley

.......Klose  Naismith  Atkinson

Wilson  King  Williams  Dasilva

..................Scott  Sykes

.....................Weimann

48 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You can forget Kalas, nowhere near ready apparently.

I posted my side on the Coventry thread, it would be;

Bentley, Wilson, Klose, Naismith, Towler, Pring (if fit), King, HNM, Sykes, Wells, Conway.

My logic being I see no point in “resting” our first choice goalkeeper, Scott & Weimann both need a break after playing all summer, Williams won’t play & Martin isn’t going to play 3 games in a week.

Listening to Nige though I expect Scott might start, as we are without both our first choice central midfielders but otherwise aside from Atkinson starting (I’d still rest him) & JD if Pring isn’t ready, I doubt it will be too far away.

Totally get the point about not resting first choice goalkeeper, I only have O' Leary in goal just to help get him some game time because Bentley could get injured the chances are slim of him getting injured but I think it is a good opportunity to give Max a bit of game time. 

26 minutes ago, Kolsch said:

Has to try 4 at the back.

O Leary

Tanner

Klose

Towler

Pring

Wilson

King

Massengo

Sykes

Conway

Wells

Would like to see that but would probably try kadji over massengo. It would be interesting to see how wells and Conway would get on together I think wells would be great for us in a front two instead of on his own or played out wide .

• Like 1

Personally I'd rest Martin, Weimann, Scott, James and Williams.    I'd then want to see how Klose, Tanner and Pring do.  Would be very concerned if key players like them aren't given a start for this. I'd keep Wilson back to start v Wigan. It's then a matter of who needs another game.  This is potentially the first of 4 consecutive midweek games and selection has to account for that.   I'd go mostly 2nd string with some first teamers remaining.  If they win they get another go in the next round.

MOL

Vyner Klose  Towler

Tanner  King  Massengo  Pring

Sykes

Conway  Wells

I'd load the bench in case it's tight and we have a chance to nick it.

Not an amazing team but this is the 1st round of the Carabao cup with a number of games in quick succession coming up.  

1 hour ago, Kolsch said:

Has to try 4 at the back.

O Leary

Tanner

Klose

Towler

Pring

Wilson

King

Massengo

Sykes

Conway

Wells

I get why you might suggest that, but why spend all pre-season settling into a system that he feels suits the players he has and has recruited to, to then dispense with it after 2 matches.

That is what LJ did, flip flopped game to bane, mid-game, etc.

I hope Nige works on fine tuning the back-three based formation, because it isn’t far off clicking.  There’s been evidence in the first two games that it can.

I don’t think a back four, a back two, a back eight or whatever solves the issues we’ve seen….it’s down to players defending better as a team and as individuals. Ultimately I couldn’t give a toss about formations, it isn’t that that defines success.

FWIW, I’d have rather he’d stuck to a back four system last October, but he didn’t and he’s now happy with the system he’s deploying.  I’d rather he stuck with it, or where do new signings like Kane Wilson fit in?

I guess we will learn more later on this evening.  

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I get why you might suggest that, but why spend all pre-season settling into a system that he feels suits the players he has and has recruited to, to then dispense with it after 2 matches.

That is what LJ did, flip flopped game to bane, mid-game, etc.

I hope Nige works on fine tuning the back-three based formation, because it isn’t far off clicking.  There’s been evidence in the first two games that it can.

I don’t think a back four, a back two, a back eight or whatever solves the issues we’ve seen….it’s down to players defending better as a team and as individuals. Ultimately I couldn’t give a toss about formations, it isn’t that that defines success.

FWIW, I’d have rather he’d stuck to a back four system last October, but he didn’t and he’s now happy with the system he’s deploying.  I’d rather he stuck with it, or where do new signings like Kane Wilson fit in?

I guess we will learn more later on this evening.  

I just don’t think it works to be honest.

Even last season when we were getting decent results we still looked vulnerable in that system defensively. Without a ball winning midfielder it’s usless.

Wilson will make a better winger than wing back. Early days but in the two league games so far and pre season I think he’s suspect defensively. Hence why Sunderland played on him.

NP was happy to switch formations depending on the opposition last season, so I’d be amazed if they haven’t tried different formations in training and pre season.