IGNORED

On To Luton Tuesday

bcfc01

43 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

A few years ago we finished 8th so by your own measure we have been successful recently and you have therefore not had to wait years or even decades for 'success.'

We would all like to see better football and a push for the playoffs but to say we have had no ' success' for decades is nonsense.

I would’ve thought success meant at least reaching the play offs that season? Success is relative, within the framework of the season, we weren’t successful.

On 13/08/2022 at 22:09, mightyreds89 said:

Even after clearing dead wood and several new signings I still think we seem way to reliant on a 3-5-2 we just don’t have the personnel to play a different system I don’t think. 

Are we good enough to play a 4-4-2 not sure we have a strong 2/partnership at CB or CM to not get overrun which got me thinking about something as close to a 442 that we may get away with…. 

King shielding back 4, retiming 3 across the middle who could be fluid and Wiemann plying just off the the striker in the hole and dropping back in when needed. Thoughts? 

Assuming Atkinson OK for Tuesday and Williams won’t play. 

866A5C72-5C0D-469C-BB5E-7A02BA9BF4D7.png

I think we’ve got more options to change formation than we had last year. We could easily go with Pring on the left wing (his best position IMO) and Sykes on the right. The question is, with Semenyo out, who should get nod as the lone striker assuming Weimann plays as a 10?

14 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I would’ve thought success meant at least reaching the play offs that season? Success is relative, within the framework of the season, we weren’t successful.

I agree but Pillared argued that he and other fans had been waiting years if not decades for success. When I pointed out that we have had considerable success over the past 7 years he countered by stating winning the old 3rd division title and lower league cups doesn't constitute success. I therefore asked him to define success and he replied being competitive in this division. I countered by pointing out we finished 8th recently which is surely being competitive and by his own definition a success 

At no point did I say it was a success.

Edited by Sir Geoff
Extra text
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tin said:

I think we’ve got more options to change formation than we had last year. We could easily go with Pring on the left wing (his best position IMO) and Sykes on the right. The question is, with Semenyo out, who should get nod as the lone striker assuming Weimann plays as a 10?

Would I guess it'd have to be Wells.

Although Andy as lone striker with Scott as 10 would be worth considering.

19 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I don’t mind Martin starting up front as he does act as a foil for Weimann, occupying and tiring defenders. However, by 60 minutes he’s usually looking puffed, which is when I would be liking to bring on Wells as a completely different and more pacy opponent for the now somewhat tired defenders to deal with. The fact Nige rarely subs Martin and usually gives Wells less than 5 minutes (including injury time) is the bit that baffles me, especially as we are supposedly a team that prefers to counter attack, which should suit Wells just fine.

Fair comment .

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

It seems that Dr Balls has answered the question that I asked you…………:cool2:

Hopefully you’ll lay off criticising CM from now on.

Compare him with other strikers weve had where do you rate him ? Obviously Derby thought he was finished thats why he was released not just my opinion read other comments on here he touched the ball twice saturday his better days are behind him .

14 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

In the past 7 years we have won a league and cup double, been to a major Semi Final, produced an England European Cup winner and maintained one of our longest spells in the second tier of English football. That is a pretty successful cycle for a club of our stature. If by Success you mean playing in the top flight, don't hold your breath the last gap was 65 years, this one is 42 and counting. I would love to know what your idea of success is ?

I still have the Evening Post supplement- ‘65 Years of Ups and Downs’. 65 years seemed an impossibly long period of time. 42 years feels equally incredible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Compare him with other strikers weve had where do you rate him ? Obviously Derby thought he was finished thats why he was released not just my opinion read other comments on here he touched the ball twice saturday his better days are behind him .

I’d compare him to the likes of Dele Adebola and Jon Stead. Both tall and powerful guys who bashed up defenders but who’s goals ratio at City wasn’t what we’d expect from a CF but they both did a decent job.

Is it accurate that he only touched the ball twice? I find that very, very questionable. How many headers did he clear from Wigans set plays and corners? how many flick ons did he make? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

What Premier league club have you in mind ?  Please provide examples, you can watch City in the Lansdown tomorrow for £20. Are there there Prem clubs charging under £20 ? In my opinion your claim of charging premier league prices is completely false. The premier league average price was £63 last season , Championship £36.50 . Our £20 as a member in the Lansdown looks very reasonable, and does not justify your comment that our prices are high so you expect a play off position. It is completely false and misinformed. 

You can get cheap tickets at Villa as well. And your example requires you to be a member, which requires money up front too. I’m not criticising City specifically, just pointing out that modern football clubs have forced the relationship to transition from fan to customer, and they should expect to reap what they have sown in terms of expectation. 

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’d compare him to the likes of Dele Adebola and Jon Stead. Both tall and powerful guys who bashed up defenders but who’s goals ratio at City wasn’t what we’d expect from a CF but they both did a decent job.

Is it accurate that he only touched the ball twice? I find that very, very questionable. How many headers did he clear from Wigans set plays and corners? how many flick ons did he make? 

As i said i was there service as usual was poor no flick ons he didnt get involved and i wouldnt say he bashes defenders about steads workrate was far better .all il say is he wont go down in my memory of being one of our best hes just there if you know what i mean .

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

A few years ago we finished 8th so by your own measure we have been successful recently and you have therefore not had to wait years or even decades for 'success.'

We would all like to see better football and a push for the playoffs but to say we have had no ' success' for decades is nonsense.

I wouldn't call finishing 8th success, and when we made the playoff final in 2008 we lost that, again not success, so I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on what could be termed success.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Only by the negative bed wetters who crave instant success.

Crave instant success? I’ve been going to watch city since 1957/58. I don’t think Pearson is up to the job but that’s got nothing to do with craving instant success. 

• Like 1