IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Living The Dream

Sheltons Army

There might be some extra muscle to him, the young players are not encouraged to build muscle until they have finished growing. Sometimes a new found confidence can make a difference to how they hold themselves and how they use their bodies, which can make them look bigger.

I wonder also if we are seeing the early effect of Jason Euell's coaching of the strikers?

• Hmmm 1

He's 20 now...football players peak fitness/ athletisism is around 24/25. In general, according to scientists, between the ages of 20 to 30 is the prime. Anything after 30 you decline.

Conway was mentioned pre season during fitness camp as being one of our fittest players.

He's definitely stronger this season...and imo...faster.

• Like 2

On 17/08/2022 at 18:18, Harry said:

Prior to this week, I wasn’t sure about Conway in the limited times I’d seen him. 
But his performances over the last week have been terrific and I’m looking forward to seeing more. 
Deserves to keep his starting place. 

Like all younger players you’ve got to give them time. Not so long ago Semenyo was out of his depth, League 2 “at best” according to a few football geniuses on here.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He definitely looks quicker to me too, made that point after the Wigan game.  He gets away from his opponent with the ball now it seems.

Thought the most significant thing I’ve heard about him was NP making the point that he was a ‘fast learner’

When I’ve seen him on the odd occasion coming through he seemed to look a ‘better footballer’ , each time you saw him , with a bit more added to his game , and a bit of a leader 

You get the impression that he clearly loves what he does , is really appreciative of his opportunities , and is a bit of a ‘prize student’ , ultra keen and appreciative to learn, absorb and improve

Add some natural ability , and you’ve got a real chance haven’t you !

• Like 4

3 hours ago, spudski said:

He's 20 now...football players peak fitness/ athletisism is around 24/25. In general, according to scientists, between the ages of 20 to 30 is the prime. Anything after 30 you decline.

Conway was mentioned pre season during fitness camp as being one of our fittest players.

He's definitely stronger this season...and imo...faster.

True, but post 30 you have the knowledge of how to play the game in all situations. For example Klose was able to deal with Simms the other week whereas the other three got ripped apart by him despite being more physically able. That’s why you need balance not 11 young un’s or 11 old un’s.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He gives as good as he gets too…but of a “smiling assassin” about him.

Digressing slightly, although still on the subject of “a bit of an edge”…Alex Scott, is a competitive little sod, he doesn’t care who he goes in with.  Got “dirty bastard no1” v Cov - Martyn Waghorn, left him limping, worth the yellow card, got “dirty bastard no2 v Wigan - James McLean with two fantastic 50:50s one after the other.

It is things like this that guide me in thinking both have got what it takes.  

To play a decent standard of mens football at 15 like Scott did for Guernsey against opponents who will snap you in two as soon as look at you if it gets them a win shows that the lad has always had the “attitude” required.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

True, but post 30 you have the knowledge of how to play the game in all situations. For example Klose was able to deal with Simms the other week whereas the other three got ripped apart by him despite being more physically able. That’s why you need balance not 11 young un’s or 11 old un’s.

I read an interesting post on Leicester’s forum where the author recounted how initially Pearson got rid of any dross and initially signed young hungry players and they were much better but fell short

Appearing to have identified this , The second season he signed some wise experienced heads to add to the squad and hey presto

When you look at some of the younger players we have coming through here , it appears from his business that he’s signing young and hungry too add to the pot  and experienced heads to guide , in the same process (Learnt from experience ?)

We are not financially in a position to sign players allegedly at their prime, and I’m not convinced Pearson going down that route even if we were

It looks to me that he’s trying to build a side maximising the young talent we currently have,  and coming through , and I think the challenge appeals to him 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 5
  • Robin 1

45 minutes ago, mozo said:

It wasn't really Conway's running speed that I noticed on Saturday. It was more his speed of thought which seems to have improved loads.

Benefits brought by the speed of thought,at football is exactly like the drivers of cars at dual lane traffic lights. Just because one driver has a brand new expensive car, doesn't mean he starts first.

Conway, Scott and Semenyo are much quicker thinkers than the majority of the MA dross that he left us with.

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Benefits brought by the speed of thought,at football is exactly like the drivers of cars at dual lane traffic lights. Just because one driver has a brand new expensive car, doesn't mean he starts first.

Conway, Scott and Semenyo are much quicker thinkers than the majority of the MA dross that he left us with.

Yeah, but does he run towards adversity?

I see Pearson (*Could have been Joe Williams - just listened to both)  on his pre match saying Conway always keen to tapping into the knowledge of the coaching staff and the senior pros

This lads giving himself literally every chance , and another reminder about good senior pros and we’ve got some belters in terms of good pros , good examples to the younger and happy to pass on experience and knowledge , whatever one thinks of their value on a Saturday afternoon itself 

I see Joe Williams mentioned that Andy King has always looked to chat and guide , pass on his experience , individually to his teammates from the time he arrived , not just since the new coach/player role

Ive heard Souness say several times , You won’t achieve anything if you don’t have good senior pros in the dressing room

Whatever people think of the here and now contribution on match days of Martin , Weimann, James , King , Klose

NP has  certainly created a healthy and professional  ‘learning environment’ and the impact on all those younger coming through and around them we will never be able to fully judge , and may prove fruit after Pearson and those players , but I really like what we see and hear as an overall Club and future prospective , however frustrating and disappointing some performances and results have been and may be , right now.

• Like 2