IGNORED

What a performance!

Nige’s strategy was similar to the Luton match - bringing on Martin late in the game to help see the game out with his nouse and experience.

The performance in both halves was excellent and apart from two chances which Bentley saved Cardiff were pretty toothless.

Into the op half now - onwards and upwards!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nige’s strategy was similar to the Luton match - bringing on Martin late in the game to help see the game out with his nouse and experience.

The performance in both halves was excellent and apart from two chances which Bentley saved Cardiff were pretty toothless.

Into the op half now - onwards and upwards!

Exactly the right way to use Martin nowadays. He certainly can still contribute, but hasn't got a full 90 minutes in his legs. 

Get him on to protect a lead, and defend from the front. It's no surprise that we have seen out both results when he has been brought on for the final period of the game. 

Let the likes of Weimann, Wells, Conway or Semenyo tire out the opposition, get a lead, and bring Martin on to see the game out. 

A great option to have. 

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, TomF said:

According to Ian Gay we had to win because of Nigel’s unnecessary changes to the side 

I think his view is that we apparently had to win, period.

Which I don't really understand, Id have taken a draw before the game.

Problem is, he slags off Nige immediately, "better tell Nige", etc - on posts merely questioning why Scott is RWB, and insists Wilson in for Williams.

Issue being Nige will do it for the next game and Ian will criticise him for it, he can't win.

Is it that difficult to question the team without sarcastic remarks until after the game? - will be interesting to see if he gives any credit to Nige in the next pod but I assume not.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 1

Two excellent performances in the space of a week, six points gained, four goals scored, none conceded. And the most pleasing thing for me is that we’ve made both sides look very ordinary with our work-rate and desire. If I didn’t know better, I’d say something’s building…

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, tin said:

Two excellent performances in the space of a week, six points gained, four goals scored, none conceded. And the most pleasing thing for me is that we’ve made both sides look very ordinary with our work-rate and desire. If I didn’t know better, I’d say something’s building…

I was thinking exactly the same.

19 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I think his view is that we apparently had to win, period.

Which I don't really understand, Id have taken a draw before the game.

Problem is, he slags off Nige immediately, "better tell Nige", etc - on posts merely questioning why Scott is RWB, and insists Wilson in for Williams.

Issue being Nige will do it for the next game and Ian will criticise him for it, he can't win.

Is it that difficult to question the team without sarcastic remarks until after the game? - will be interesting to see if he gives any credit to Nige in the next pod but I assume not.

He should. It's live at 6pm today, so I'll let you know :)

Thought we played pretty well today. Lots of good positive play and the likes of Conway and HNM were excellent. 

Only negative you could say is that they should really have scored but Bentley did brilliantly. But overall it’s great to see a rarely seen (until this week) relatively comfortable home win. 

13 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Another great team performance. I know Tommy Conway got the man of the match, and I ain't gonna quibble, but I really don't want to pick anyone out -  they were all superb. Onwards and upwards City. 

Absolutely , just got back , great day , excellent atmosphere, great performance, as to be honest was Luton , I can see big Nige is trying to build us in the image of his Leicester team that went in to win the Premier league, free flowing football not over the top to say you could see Vardy playing in this team style wise 

Biggest difference is the intensity that we have at the top end of the pitch with Andi, Tommy & Nahki.  I don't mind Chris Martin, but the way we play without him is much more threatening and uncomfortable for opposition defences, especially when they all press both offensively and defensively. 

Add Antoine into that equation and it bodes very well as his return will either strengthen us further or perhaps more importantly we know we shouldn't be too fearful if he does leave in this window.  I hope he doesn't leave of course, and I'm not naive enough to think we wouldn't miss him over the longer term, but these recent performances make the prospect slightly less worrying than it was a few weeks ago.

Edited by Magicdaps
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Magicdaps said:

Biggest difference is the intensity that we have at the top end of the pitch with Andi, Tommy & Nakhi.  I don't mind Chris Martin, but the way we play without him is much more threatening and uncomfortable for opposition defences, especially when they all press both offensively and defensively. 

Add Antoine into that equation and it bodes very well as his return will either strengthen us further or perhaps more importantly we know we shouldn't be too fearful if he does leave in this window.  I hope he doesn't leave of course, and I'm not naive enough to think we wouldn't miss him over the longer term, but these recent performances make the prospect slightly less worrying than it was a few weeks ago.

I’d rather we didn’t play Chris Martin…it just slows it down too much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Excellent again today. Was worried that the poor quality of the opposition on Tuesday made us look better than we are, but Cardiff were better than them and we still looked great.

First two games of the season for me this week (member not STH) - picked well for once!

The poor quality opposition that went to Swansea and won yesterday? Maybe our performance was even better than we realised especially with 10 men?

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

48 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Absolutely , just got back , great day , excellent atmosphere, great performance, as to be honest was Luton , I can see big Nige is trying to build us in the image of his Leicester team that went in to win the Premier league, free flowing football not over the top to say you could see Vardy playing in this team style wise 

So you’re saying that we’re going to win the Premier League? ?

4 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Yessssss so pumped for mid table, glad it’s back on 

I appreciate the sarcasm I really do but mid table would be a big step forward.  I can’t see how we have the squad depth for any better than 10th which was my prediction before a ball was kicked.  We still get our fair share of injuries even if that has improved and Williams can’t play Saturday and Tuesday 

• Like 2