IGNORED

Vyner, Naismith and Atkinson

TommyD68

After being unsure at the start of the season I think these 3 are really starting to look like a good combination at the back. I think they all bring a different elements to that back line and compliment each other very well. Only going to get better over time!

I’ve been particularly impressed with how Atkinson turns defence into attack this season, reminds me of Adam Webster on occasions when he brings the ball out. he’s looked good defensively too which is of course the main thing.

After a couple shaky moments from Naismith this season I can definitely see why we’ve brought him in, I think he’s been outstanding last couple of games and is a real leader in the back line. 

And finally praise for Vyner as people are so quick to jump on him if he makes a mistake I’d like the praise to be as loud as the criticism. He’s also looked great last couple of games and has that ability to play a cutting edge ball and start attacks. Did it against Luton and also yesterday through to Wilson at the end which should have ended in a goal. Also seems to have a bit of an edge to him last couple of games that I like to see.

Will be great to have Kalas back fit again but IMO opinion no reason to change as long as the wins and clean sheets keep coming. Keep it up lads ??

• Like 9

You can see Naismith shouting at everyone on the pitch - think it's really benefitted us having that sort of personality at the back. Definitely captain material, but if it's not broken, why fix it. Thought Massengo and Williams made an excellent second wall of defence in front of them too.

8 minutes ago, TommyD68 said:

After being unsure at the start of the season I think these 3 are really starting to look like a good combination at the back. I think they all bring a different elements to that back line and compliment each other very well. Only going to get better over time!

I’ve been particularly impressed with how Atkinson turns defence into attack this season, reminds me of Adam Webster on occasions when he brings the ball out. he’s looked good defensively too which is of course the main thing.

After a couple shaky moments from Naismith this season I can definitely see why we’ve brought him in, I think he’s been outstanding last couple of games and is a real leader in the back line. 

And finally praise for Vyner as people are so quick to jump on him if he makes a mistake I’d like the praise to be as loud as the criticism. He’s also looked great last couple of games and has that ability to play a cutting edge ball and start attacks. Did it against Luton and also yesterday through to Wilson at the end which should have ended in a goal. Also seems to have a bit of an edge to him last couple of games that I like to see.

Will be great to have Kalas back fit again but IMO opinion no reason to change as long as the wins and clean sheets keep coming. Keep it up lads ??

They were great. Couple of loose passes by Atko, but as you say, there is such a lot to his game that you can forgive that, cut out all their corners and he scored a goal (again). I think he's destined to be a City cult hero of the future. Naismith was superb and my MOTM. For a defender, he's got great close ball control. You can see why he's sometimes played MF, he can dribble, which many defenders can't. Vyner hasn't just won the manager over, but the crowd now. Rarely put a foot wrong. Got turned once, but was generally resolute. Good passer of the ball upfield as well. More than earned his corn.

It's interesting that we start the season playing, not for the first time, our manager's not preferred starting XI - and get results.  It goes to show I think that sometimes you shake things up and they fall down in the perfect order. 

27 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They were great. Couple of loose passes by Atko, but as you say, there is such a lot to his game that you can forgive that, cut out all their corners and he scored a goal (again). I think he's destined to be a City cult hero of the future. Naismith was superb and my MOTM. For a defender, he's got great close ball control. You can see why he's sometimes played MF, he can dribble, which many defenders can't. Vyner hasn't just won the manager over, but the crowd now. Rarely put a foot wrong. Got turned once, but was generally resolute. Good passer of the ball upfield as well. More than earned his corn.

It's interesting that we start the season playing, not for the first time, our manager's not preferred starting XI - and get results.  It goes to show I think that sometimes you shake things up and they fall down in the perfect order. 

What is also good is Pearson is prepared to give players who are performing in training or as a sub a chance in the first team. How good is that for our young players and fringe players. Work hard and take your chance and the sky's the limit.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

All anybody wants with Zac is for him to stay switched on for the whole game, then you’re left with a very decent defender. Last 2 games have been encouraging so long may it continue.

Switched off once yesterday but that was the Watters one on one. All he had to do was go with his man. He can see Watters making the run and Naismith can’t so why leave it to Naismith?!! If that was Grant or even one of our forwards on the end of that it’s 1-0. So frustrating because he has the tools to do the job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TommyD68 said:

And that's the thing isn't it.  If they were all perfect then they'd be playing in the premier League.   

• Like 1

One thing I have noticed from Naismith is he is absolutely brilliant at stepping infront of the forward. Reads the game very well. Atkinson has been great the last few games and often the right wingers switch sides after a while when they notice they're finding it hard to get the better of him and Dasilva. 

Unfortunately Vyner is our weakness and can be exploited by better players, he's done ok the last few games but it is our obvious weakness we have at the back. I'd like to see Kalas back in the side when he's fit.

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

What is also good is Pearson is prepared to give players who are performing in training or as a sub a chance in the first team. How good is that for our young players and fringe players. Work hard and take your chance and the sky's the limit.

Yep, said this on another thread. Pearson's a guy to look beyond favourites, and reward hard work in training and in matches.  

I think realistically within our resources we'd struggle to find a player who was better than Vyner but willing to play second fiddle to Kalas on the right side of the three. If we had money, I'd love us to sign a right sided Atkinson equivalent from the lower leagues who could grow into the team. But we don't so Vyner is what we've got. And right now he's taken his opportunity well. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think realistically within our resources we'd struggle to find a player who was better than Vyner but willing to play second fiddle to Kalas on the right side of the three. If we had money, I'd love us to sign a right sided Atkinson equivalent from the lower leagues who could grow into the team. But we don't so Vyner is what we've got. And right now he's taken his opportunity well. 

if he keeps it up,Kalas will have to work extra hard to get his place back. as will semenyo and james

• Like 1
  • Haha 1