IGNORED

Wycombe Wanderers away Carabao Cup match day thread

5 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Did anyone just hear Aaron Paul on five live? Thinks Nige is on the verge of doing what Nige has done when he’s stressed in the past. Basically Nige laughed when depth of squad was mentioned - that was it (was the same interview on Radio Bristol)

So Jesse pinkman has an opinion on Nigel Pearson? 

Overaction I thought. Just sounded like a manager who wants to be given the opportunity to get couple more players in.

Did well tonight against a very direct and physical side. First half was an awful game to be honest but we played some decent stuff second half and reacted well to their goal. 

33 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I don’t understand people.  I want to see us progress as far as possible in this competition.  Give me a lower division club at home any day of the week.  Cracking draw!

It's simple: 

1) league is more important;

2) the chance of reaching the final remain slim in any case, so it would be more interesting to challenge some big PL teams until you're still in the cup than playing more rounds but against Championship/lower leagues teams. Getting this chance only once/every few years, just to live new dreamy nights like those of the 2017/18 season.

It's a little annoying to see other EFL teams playing against the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and co.  in early stages, while we had to do extraordinary things to "gain the right" of playing against the Manchester clubs, a season that was obviously difficult to repeat. 

If we had been more lucky in our best seasons - the playoff one & the cup run one - and reach the PL,  glamour cup matches would be less captivating...

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 1

Not at our best tonight but professional performance from a lot of players who are not regulars. First half I thought we played down to their level so to speak. Second half, especially after the first subs, we took control of the game. Think it shows NP has found his best XI of the current group of players we have fit. 

As for the draw, anything is good. Some prize money and extra income from ticket sales. All should help surely? Need to win and try and get a big draw to help out a bit more. League is more important and a lot can change between now and the third round but lets take the positives now. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Christ no. Unfortunately I've supported city so long 2nd round efl cup is not hurtful in any way. Plus, if this got you, your not at the game so I don't care. It's just a funny lads, wouldn't do it at the Cardiff game but Wycombe ????

Have you Ever heard the phrase when your in a hole stop digging?

I actually got to go tonight! Amazed how things changed when Scott came on. Went past a couple of people quickly and you could see the confidence drain out of Wycombe and they started getting nervous and backing off. They brought on someone who looked like a regular first teamer who tried clogging him thinking that would put him off - which obviously was not the case! Then Antoine came on and they got even more scared and couldn't handle him and Tommy together. Thought it was so funny watching them trying to get the ball of Antoine in the corner at the end...

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Ian M said:

To all the people saying how pissed off Kane Wilson must be, sitting on that bench.....

Nicely ‘on message’. 

Pearson will be happy with that.

Seems a decent chap too…. but, hopefully, not quite achieving Mark Ashton’s ‘good human’ status.

Too early to say the good ship ‘Bristol City’ has turned the corner, but looking good as Wycombe are the type of team in past days that could have caused an upset. 

• Like 4
  • Admin
5 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Nicely ‘on message’. 

Pearson will be happy with that.

Seems a decent chap too…. but, hopefully, not quite achieving Mark Ashton’s ‘good human’ status.

Too early to say the good ship ‘Bristol City’ has turned the corner, but looking good as Wycombe are the type of team in past days that could have caused an upset. 

This does feel like a different Bristol City. I'm sus

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Still think that for some players , it was ‘job done’

Name in the headlines , interest from Prem Clubs activated

Was talking about that game tonight said exactly the same thing, the phrase be careful what you wish for springs to mind, if we could just slip under the radar just once (fingers crossed emoji).

Just got in from Wycombe and it's job done. Another early goal (from young Kadji) but we didn't capitalise in the 1st half. After Wycombe's equaliser they troubled us for a spell but the subs made a difference, particularly Scott who glided past players. Good goal from Kane Wilson who guided the ball into the net and a simple tap in for Semenyo after Conway unselfishly slid it to him past their keeper. Not sure about Tanner playing the right side of a back 3 but otherwise we did enough to earn our home tie with Lincoln in November. 

• Like 4

There are many things that have derailed our hard fought momentum in the past and stopped us from achieving just as when it looked we might, one of those is the sale of key assets. I hope we can see out this last week of the window with battened down hatches. The squad genuinely feels poised to kick on, but at the same time so finely balanced. Losing a Scott, Semenyo or Weimann could be the difference between a successful season and a mediocre one. 

• Like 1