IGNORED

Wycombe Wanderers away Carabao Cup match day thread

19 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

There are many things that have derailed our hard fought momentum in the past and stopped us from achieving just as when it looked we might, one of those is the sale of key assets. I hope we can see out this last week of the window with battened down hatches. The squad genuinely feels poised to kick on, but at the same time so finely balanced. Losing a Scott, Semenyo or Weimann could be the difference between a successful season and a mediocre one. 

While I definitely agree with this, I would also add that another downside risk is that we keep, hoped for sell on clauses don't materialise and then oh look we exceed spending limits and receive a points deduction in the spring.

If in a play-off chase that could also derail our season. My ballpark estimates would be 3-4 points for an overspend, minus 1 for cooperation and maybe another 3 for not selling when a breach is on the cards.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Admin
11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

While I definitely agree with this, I would also add that another downside risk is that we keep, hoped for sell on clauses don't materialise and then oh look we exceed spending limits and receive a points deduction in the spring.

If in a play-off chase that could also derail our season. My ballpark estimates would be 3-4 points for an overspend, minus 1 for cooperation and maybe another 3 for not selling when a breach is on the cards.

Is it likely to be close? If yes, could that actually be mitigated by a successful season increasing attendances/matchday revenue (and to a small extent prize money/broadcast fees)?

19 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Is it likely to be close? If yes, could that actually be mitigated by a successful season increasing attendances/matchday revenue (and to a small extent prize money/broadcast fees)?

Could be tight and as you say success helps with this. More match day, more commercial, Cup runs etc. Perhaps I'm being overly bearish and it's not so bad...assuming it's not a disastrous position I'd rather keep all key assets this season and see where it takes us.

We'll know roughly what we need to do once the 2021-22 accounts out..my estimates have been for a hole not exceeding £4m. (£1-1.999m is 3 pts, £2-4m is 4 pts and so on deduction wise). I expect an accounting loss of £23-24m in 2021-22.

Birmingham got a point back for cooperation but the EFL also wanted to dock more for not selling Che Adams in Jan 2019. Hence my estimates points wise.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

“I’ve seen the goals it seemed a fair result”. 

One of my pet peeves. We all listened and didn’t watch. You Ian, as I, have no earthly clue how we played unless you trust Gary Owers with your wife. So please STFU. You have no idea how fair the result was.

Nige interview from Bristol Online:

8DBCDE39-7644-40B6-B73F-ACEC31057AA4.thumb.jpeg.dd487e3af0e547960172c626b00b1dfb.jpeg

aimed at Mark Carter, Ian Gay, and perhaps Bristol City Analytics???

On an aside, he calls it ugly…he doesn’t flower-up a win, nor go overboard in defeat…if we’ve played okay / well.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 9
6 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

There are many things that have derailed our hard fought momentum in the past and stopped us from achieving just as when it looked we might, one of those is the sale of key assets. I hope we can see out this last week of the window with battened down hatches. The squad genuinely feels poised to kick on, but at the same time so finely balanced. Losing a Scott, Semenyo or Weimann could be the difference between a successful season and a mediocre one. 

The only one we should sale is Semenyo,  if it’s for the right money.  Yes he offers a lot but,  We’ve played well and scored without him. Plus he’s had an injury problem two seasons on the bounce now.  

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

8DBCDE39-7644-40B6-B73F-ACEC31057AA4.thumb.jpeg.dd487e3af0e547960172c626b00b1dfb.jpeg

On an aside, he calls it ugly…he doesn’t flower-up a win, nor go overboard in defeat…if we’ve played okay / well.

I’m not sure we are the same team, though, Dave. Didn’t the more mobile forward line in the last two league games made a big difference? 
I’ve watched all five league games and there was a definite difference between the first three and the last two. 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I hope he realises that the critics are in the minority. The common factor among them seems to be a refusal or inability to see the context in which he has been and is operating.

Given the disaster he inherited he is doing a remarkable job, especially in changing the culture. A difficult thing to do that takes time but you can't progress without it.

• Like 7
11 hours ago, One Team said:

Seems popular if unlikely on their forum: https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/129816-new-manager-who-do-you-want/ 

Interesting comment on that thread

"Love Nige, my favourite period of supporting this club, bar none. 

We absolutely need someone in his mould, someone who can galvanise and create a work ethic and team spirit here again. We've turned into a bunch of individuals with no fight and no spirit. Clubs like ours have a lot to gain from nurturing the right atmosphere. We've got 'good' players, but until someone comes in and sticks them together properly that's all they'll be."

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

How did Tanner do as emergency CB? Odd choice, but shows our lack of depth there.

Offensively he provided good support on the overlap down the right, and acted like a right back by getting out wide and making himself available. 

Got caught a couple of times in the first half, let their forward player have way too much space to get their only shot away and was turned too easily a couple of times. Don't think he's a ling term option there, but he did a job against the reserves of a lower league club

17 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Interesting comment on that thread

"Love Nige, my favourite period of supporting this club, bar none. 

We absolutely need someone in his mould, someone who can galvanise and create a work ethic and team spirit here again. We've turned into a bunch of individuals with no fight and no spirit. Clubs like ours have a lot to gain from nurturing the right atmosphere. We've got 'good' players, but until someone comes in and sticks them together properly that's all they'll be."

That sounds very much like the Nigel Pearson we have here.

5 hours ago, City exile 79 said:

I do really like your posts and informative spreadsheets, but was wondering if you ever sleep ?

Often have to get up with Joe through the night, so struggle to go straight back off to sleep.  A quick blast of OTIB, I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!! ???

2 hours ago, firstdivision said:

I’m not sure we are the same team, though, Dave. Didn’t the more mobile forward line in the last two league games made a big difference? 
I’ve watched all five league games and there was a definite difference between the first three and the last two. 

At its purest level, ie. the eleven that took the pitch has changed a little, but I thought we played decently enough in each of the opening games.  I don’t think we’ve produced any better attacking football in the last 4 games than we did in opening 3, but we’ve improved our ability to not let our opponents have good spells too.  We played some cracking stuff in the first two games at times, Wigan was a bit ordinary at times though. We cut out defensive mistakes and our ability to not have to deal with spells under pressure (and less shots conceded).

We created more chances against Sunderland than Luton for example, and more “big chances” (yeah, yeah, XG shit!!!) in that game than any other league game.

So is it a more mobile forward line?  Possibly.  I like it btw…big fan of a Riley / Neville type pairing.

Is it Massengo and Scott bringing energy to the team?

Is it Naismith

Or is it a team fine-tuning itself “into the season”.

I’m sure personnel is a factor, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not the only reason.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Hope our recruitment team have Anis Mehmeti of Wycombe on their "long list", at the very least. Looks a very good prospect to me.

@Harrylikes him.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Hope our recruitment team have Anis Mehmeti of Wycombe on their "long list", at the very least. Looks a very good prospect to me.

My Wycombe supporting friend rates him highly. Doesn't think he will be there next season.

Think he assisted their goal, which if so he did very well. Absolutely tore our defence apart the start of the second half particularly!

6 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Harrylikes him.

Thanks Dave. 
Yes, he’s been someone I’ve been looking at for a few years now.