IGNORED

Unhappy Martin

Aipearcey

I get that every player wants to play but found it strange this evening when Martin came off, didn’t clap the fans and then headed straight down the tunnel on the final whistle. Always found him to be a model professional but even he surely knows that it’s a long season and his time will come again?

4 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

I get that every player wants to play but found it strange this evening when Martin came off, didn’t clap the fans and then headed straight down the tunnel on the final whistle. Always found him to be a model professional but even he surely knows that it’s a long season and his time will come again?

Not with what we got coming through  hopefully.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Will his time come again? If everyone stays, he is quickly finding himself 5th option. I don’t think it was a coincidence our play was pretty poor with him back in the side. The ball routinely was pumped up to him and repeatedly came straight back. Didn’t take long to score when he come off and his replacement pressed them into a mistake and got a goal as reward. 

As for him personally, it may be tough. His career is coming to an end at this level imo. Think maybe hitting him some? He’ll still be able to make an impact at times but it has to be frustrating being dropped, watching your replacements thrive and then not taking advantage of lower level defenders. I’ll never question his attitude. If he did not clap and went straight down tunnel I hold no ill will. Everyone is allowed to he frustrated sometimes. 

Think you have summed up his future pretty well tbh, and I think he realised it as well, time unfortunately waits for no man and with the talent we suddenly have at our disposal he realised that as well, a bit like the snake was good to frustrate the opposition last ten that may well become CMs future with us.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Will his time come again? If everyone stays, he is quickly finding himself 5th option. I don’t think it was a coincidence our play was pretty poor with him back in the side. The ball routinely was pumped up to him and repeatedly came straight back. Didn’t take long to score when he come off and his replacement pressed them into a mistake and got a goal as reward. 

As for him personally, it may be tough. His career is coming to an end at this level imo. Think maybe hitting him some? He’ll still be able to make an impact at times but it has to be frustrating being dropped, watching your replacements thrive and then not taking advantage of lower level defenders. I’ll never question his attitude. If he did not clap and went straight down tunnel I hold no ill will. Everyone is allowed to he frustrated sometimes. 

It's funny, because before last season there were usually a few comments about how poor we were with him in the side. Then WSM happened, and the comments disappeared overnight.

Martin doesn't play much at the start of this season, and suddenly comments like this appear.

He may have needed the loo, may have been feeling sick, or maybe even just gone straight in to get some medical attention. If he was just pissed off, then at least it shows he's bothered.

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Taz said:

It's funny, because before last season there were usually a few comments about how poor we were with him in the side. Then WSM happened, and the comments disappeared overnight.

Martin doesn't play much at the start of this season, and suddenly comments like this appear.

He may have needed the loo, may have been feeling sick, or maybe even just gone straight in to get some medical attention. If he was just pissed off, then at least it shows he's bothered.

The comments have been around. He should not have played as much as he did last season. WSM was a thing because NP was was trying to set an example with Wells and wages. Clear to see Wells offers so much more than Martin and we likely missed out on points last season because NP why trying to send some sort of message.

During the last two wins we have used 1 new player. Naismith is great and makes a difference but we could have seen this style of football so much earlier. Keep in mind we have been down two of our best players from last season as well. 

• Robin 1

23 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

The comments have been around. He should not have played as much as he did last season. WSM was a thing because NP was was trying to set an example with Wells and wages. Clear to see Wells offers so much more than Martin and we likely missed out on points last season because NP why trying to send some sort of message.

During the last two wins we have used 1 new player. Naismith is great and makes a difference but we could have seen this style of football so much earlier. Keep in mind we have been down two of our best players from last season as well. 

Absolutely nothing in your first paragraph is true though, is it? NP sent a message all of last season just to go against it after 3 games this season?

• Like 13

We all know from recent seasons that injuries happen and everyone will get their chance, Martin included and it’s up to him to take his chance when it comes.

A few weeks ago we wondered if we’d see HNM bar maybe a few sub appearances, all of a sudden he’s started a string of games. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SBB said:

Absolutely nothing in your first paragraph is true though, is it? NP sent a message all of last season just to go against it after 3 games this season?

No I am saying I have been with that opinion for a long time. He affects the way we attack and defend and generally play football. Our attacks are quicker and more fluid. Our defence can actually close down quickly and force them into mistakes. We pass and move much more fluidly in the final third. All things I have mentioned in the pass that we just can’t do with playing Martin.

He had an ok statistical season last season. I always thought there was more to it though. The way we were playing lead to higher goals and assists for all of the front 3. A career year from Weimann and breakout year for Semenyo. Martin had what? An average season for a striker that played as much as he did? 

This season you can look at the form table and it coincides with Chris Martin playing. Maybe it is an anomaly but it looks convincing. Starts Hull, Sunderland, Wigan and Wycombe. We get 1 point and 1 win and the win was a draw until he was subbed off. Bench for Coventry, Luton and Cardiff. 6 points and a convincing cup tie win where we scored 4. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

This exactly- our play does not suit a loitering 9! As a late sub when we want to defend across the pitch and slow things down he’s perfect

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

No I am saying I have been with that opinion for a long time. He affects the way we attack and defend and generally play football. Our attacks are quicker and more fluid. Our defence can actually close down quickly and force them into mistakes. We pass and move much more fluidly in the final third. All things I have mentioned in the pass that we just can’t do with playing Martin.

He had an ok statistical season last season. I always thought there was more to it though. The way we were playing lead to higher goals and assists for all of the front 3. A career year from Weimann and breakout year for Semenyo. Martin had what? An average season for a striker that played as much as he did? 

This season you can look at the form table and it coincides with Chris Martin playing. Maybe it is an anomaly but it looks convincing. Starts Hull, Sunderland, Wigan and Wycombe. We get 1 point and 1 win and the win was a draw until he was subbed off. Bench for Coventry, Luton and Cardiff. 6 points and a convincing cup tie win where we scored 4. 

I agree, he had a good season individually but as a football team and how we play having Semenyo, Weimann, Conway and Wells it let's us press more, making the other team make mistakes, this will ultimately help the defence not being bombarded every time we don't win an aerial ball. Martin is good at what he does but moving forward tactically I think he's more suited to being on 70th minute onwards helping seeing out games 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I think the disrespect towards Martin from our fanbase is a total injustice. The man scored 12 goals last season. 1 goal shy of Fam's best season for us. Martin at this level has been consistent for years, he's not a prolific goalscorer, but he's a battering ram and does all the ugly work and is not easy on the eye. He was perfect foil for Weimann and Semenyo last season.

Do find it odd, he played yesterday without W or S which got us to 6th highest scorers last season. And maybe the reason why AS/TC could cause problems, was due to CM having given their defence a different type of problem earlier and they couldn’t adapt/were knackered. TC and NW have been great and with AS back as well, the future looks bright, but we’re yet to beat anyone of note and writing off someone with Martin’s experience and, crucially, a different style of play to cause defences different problems, seems premature to say the least. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Wrongagain said:

This exactly- our play does not suit a loitering 9! As a late sub when we want to defend across the pitch and slow things down he’s perfect

22 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

I agree, he had a good season individually but as a football team and how we play having Semenyo, Weimann, Conway and Wells it let's us press more, making the other team make mistakes, this will ultimately help the defence not being bombarded every time we don't win an aerial ball. Martin is good at what he does but moving forward tactically I think he's more suited to being on 70th minute onwards helping seeing out games 

Exactly and I want to stress it is not as much an anti CM but more a pro Wells/Semenyo/Conway thing

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Do find it odd, he played yesterday without W or S which got us to 6th highest scorers last season. And maybe the reason why AS/TC could cause problems, was due to CM having given their defence a different type of problem earlier and they couldn’t adapt/were knackered. TC and NW have been great and with AS back as well, the future looks bright, but we’re yet to beat anyone of note and writing off someone with Martin’s experience and, crucially, a different style of play to cause defences different problems, seems premature to say the least. 

Numerous times I saw Derby on Sky towards the end of his career there and they would bring Martin on from the 80th minute who would cause absolute chaos.

Unfortunately he isn't a glamorous striker like Semenyo or Wells so many of our fans just call him all sorts. He's effective at what he does at this level.

• Like 4

He absolutely has a big role to play this season! People suggesting he doesn't really surprises me. We've got 41 more league games and potentially a decent chunk of Cup games based on how we're going, all packed very tight into a WC interrupted season. Martin will see plenty of minutes and help us no end. 

• Like 9