IGNORED

Love or hate them

redkev

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

They’re in Southampton today aren’t they? Not much of a hop for their fanbase from Surrey.

I know they have a lot of fans uk / worldwide but I actually went to watch them via a client just before the pandemic at Chelsea , had corporate tickets was a night game 0-2 utd .

was a cup game so utd had 6,000 tickets 

got up to London about 2pm and decided to have a few ( fair few ) around kings road area before going in ground at 5.30 for our corporate, and to be fair even at 2pm utd fans were everywhere and have to be honest the 2-3 pubs we went in it was nearly all Mancs. 
personally think it’s slightly over egged that no mancs support utd thing 

1 minute ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I was under the impression that the Man Utd away fans are the hardcore of fans as it’s very very difficult to get tickets for away games?  Home games it’s like Alton Towers at Old Trafford but pretty sure away it’s different

From my experience I think your correct .seen them about 3-4 times away nearly always corporate deals and deffo mainly mancs . 

Just now, stephenkibby. said:

Bit of a soft spot for Manu?

Not really but when a customer offers you corporate tickets for free , I’m all up for that . 
been to Milan , st ettiene, ibrox , glentoran & hertha Berlin , Dortmund & athletico Madrid on my list to do this year if poss 

• Like 5

I find I dislike fans of clubs who bore on and on about them, buy the replica shirt every year, and use all the nicknames despite never having been to actually watch them play for real or even having any intention to do so.

It may be different these days but in the 90s / 00s the vast majority of such people were Man Utd "fans".

Hence my bias against Man Utd because of their being the club of choice of pretty much every plastic fan I have ever met.

Maybe these days you also find Man City and Liverpool "fans" who are like that.

• Like 1

Maybe this is a bit controversial but I doubt Man U would have the same support around the world and in this country if there had not been the terrible air crash in 1958, I think they became a lot of peoples second team and that seems to have endured through the generations, what do you lot think?

4 hours ago, pillred said:

Maybe this is a bit controversial but I doubt Man U would have the same support around the world and in this country if there had not been the terrible air crash in 1958, I think they became a lot of peoples second team and that seems to have endured through the generations, what do you lot think?

I’m 43 and I think the support is down to Sir Alex and the massive success they had.  When I was a kid in the 80’s everyone supported Liverpool cause they were winning.  Maybe in the 50’s that was the case I don’t know, but there have been 4 generations of kids born since then 

5 hours ago, redkev said:

Not really but when a customer offers you corporate tickets for free , I’m all up for that . 
been to Milan , st ettiene, ibrox , glentoran & hertha Berlin , Dortmund & athletico Madrid on my list to do this year if poss 

Yes, but do you get to any of the big games ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, old parkender said:

Man Utd’s away support is second to none and has been for donkeys years, back when they got relegated to div 2 (as it was then) they were taking thousands everywhere, causing havoc at most places, it’s easy to knock them about tourists but most of the lads going away are Mancs  from way back

Hmm not so sure,as much as the Liverpool love in on here is a joke what you are claiming is just as,Everton for example always had a bigger away following than United back in the day

6 hours ago, pillred said:

I actually heard somewhere that’s where a lot of their support in the south came from and some of that rolled over to the next generation 

Obviously some glory supporters latched onto them during the days when they were winning everything but in the 80’s it was Liverpool picking those up 

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I find I dislike fans of clubs who bore on and on about them, buy the replica shirt every year, and use all the nicknames despite never having been to actually watch them play for real or even having any intention to do so.

20 years ago where I worked, the Sales Manager stated she was buying a United shirt. "I didn't know you're from Manchester" says I to which she replied.

"I'm not, I'm not even interested in football, but I am involved in Corporate Sales, so it's essential I am seen to be associated with winners", 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I’m 43 and I think the support is down to Sir Alex and the massive success they had.  When I was a kid in the 80’s everyone supported Liverpool cause they were winning.  Maybe in the 50’s that was the case I don’t know, but there have been 4 generations of kids born since then 

Manu had the following from at least the late 60s. When i  left Bristol in 68 (as a kid) in South Devon every other kid was ****** Manu,

Going on later into the 70s they had Torbay Reds playing local football,and coaches going to Old Trafford from all over Devon.

So no there support has nothing to do with FERGUSON  It'sjust a plastic nation that goes on.

Most of the ***** don't know who the next game is against.

I realise this will sound slightly hypocritical....but...  I was offered tickets to the '95 cup final (Everton 1-0 United) as I worked with the daughter of one of the Everton board at the time.  Driving home from Wembley, a guy in a United shirt walked down the road, took his keys out and went in through his front door.  Even back then at the start of their purple patch under Fergie they had the rep.

5 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I realise this will sound slightly hypocritical....but...  I was offered tickets to the '95 cup final (Everton 1-0 United) as I worked with the daughter of one of the Everton board at the time.  Driving home from Wembley, a guy in a United shirt walked down the road, took his keys out and went in through his front door.  Even back then at the start of their purple patch under Fergie they had the rep.

That was a good day for me. Cup Final day at our Football Club ( Buckfastleigh) was always a good day.

Manu against the rest of us. But to make a sweet day i'd backed Paul Rideout to score the first goal!!!

52 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Hmm not so sure,as much as the Liverpool love in on here is a joke what you are claiming is just as,Everton for example always had a bigger away following than United back in the day

Not true, I'm afraid. Or not true based on our time at the top, at least. We played Everton midweek February '80 and there were bugger all in the Open End to my right. We played Utd midweek and there were thousands.