IGNORED

Please don't

where's the joy

With a fine young crop of quality players coming through like Conway and Scott, we have what Alan Dicks spent years building cheaply, a team with real promise.

So my plea is simple, please don't sell Semenyo. Do all that you can to keep him and certainly don't entertain bids at 12M

He is the one player who gets us fans out of our seat. He is the entertainment we seek. He is where the Joy is.

Players with his raw power and touch come along so rarely at our club, we must cherish this one and try to build a premiership challenge with him.

He creates space for others, he makes defenders uncertain and he has learnt how to shoot for the corners of the goal.

please don't let him go 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, where's the joy said:

With a fine young crop of quality players coming through like Conway and Scott, we have what Alan Dicks spent years building cheaply, a team with real promise.

So my plea is simple, please don't sell Semenyo. Do all that you can to keep him and certainly don't entertain bids at 12M

He is the one player who gets us fans out of our seat. He is the entertainment we seek. He is where the Joy is.

Players with his raw power and touch come along so rarely at our club, we must cherish this one and try to build a premiership challenge with him.

He creates space for others, he makes defenders uncertain and he has learnt how to shoot for the corners of the goal.

please don't let him go 

I wouldn't say AS is the ONLY player to generate excitement.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Our financial state could be healthier but we'd still be in a similar situation. If an acceptable bid is made then he's sold.

I'd say this late in the window and his continuing good form it's going to need to be a hell of an offer. Perhaps Jan might be more of a worrying time all round, we could lose 2 or 3.

Be interesting ito see if he makes the squad on Wednesday night.

• Like 1

I mean come next summer we could be seeing some serious money coming our way. If Conway hits double figures and Semenyo and Scott continue to improve the way they have we could be easily fetching 20m+ for each player. With the amount that are OOC next summer we’re going to need a massive war chest to rebuild. Think it’ll be safe to say only about 3/4 players who are starting now will likely be starting next august ?

2 hours ago, where's the joy said:

please don't let him go 

Would it be any different to when we sold Chris Garland to invest the money across the squad?

At that time I seem to remember people complaining about it, but it was a good thing long term.

5 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

If we can hold on to Semenyo and get a good season out of him, he will be worth even more in a years time. Sense to me would be to hold on to him unless we get a ridiculous bid now 

I worry with Wilfried Zaha wanted by Chelsea (and rumoured Arsenal) that a bid will come in from Crystal Palace. If   they bid £20m (or even £16m + add ons) with our financial situation we won't be able to refuse it.

• Like 1

It would be nice to follow the Alan Dicks strategy but unfortunately things have changed. Transfer fees were much lower then so City could  easily reject offers. Arsenal offered £240k ish for Merrick and Richie combined - ie £120k each ! - but City rejected the bid. Could City reject a bid of £20m ish for a player now? The salary gap between Division 1 and 2 wasn’t great in Dicks days but now the difference between the Premier League and the Championship is enormous. Would a young City player not want to have his salary increased by a factor of 4 or 5 now?  The young City players seem to be sensible and probably won’t rush to leave, but it’s only a matter of time. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I really would love to see more of Semenyo in a City shirt. I also believe that if we can keep him we have a decent chance of promotion.

We have a really good strike force and if we can keep them together then we will have some great memories over the course of the season.

Promotion only if we get a ball winning on the ground and in the air, leader at centre back.

Play Naismith as the defensive midfielder where he may not provide easy finishing goals for opponents.

If Semenyo has an outstanding season (>15 goals) this season I can't see us getting more than £10m next summer whereas if we sell now I think the offer is more like north of £16m.

If we can't provide a good enough contract for him to want to extend then I think now is the time sell unfortunately.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Pezo said:

If Semenyo has an outstanding season (>15 goals) this season I can't see us getting more than £10m next summer whereas if we sell now I think the offer is more like north of £16m.

If we can't provide a good enough contract for him to want to extend then I think now is the time sell unfortunately.

I don’t understand the logic with this. Surely if he has an outstanding season his value will increase, not decrease (or have I misread your post?)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It would be nice to follow the Alan Dicks strategy but unfortunately things have changed. Transfer fees were much lower then so City could  easily reject offers. Arsenal offered £240k ish for Merrick and Richie combined - ie £120k each ! - but City rejected the bid. Could City reject a bid of £20m ish for a player now? The salary gap between Division 1 and 2 wasn’t great in Dicks days but now the difference between the Premier League and the Championship is enormous. Would a young City player not want to have his salary increased by a factor of 4 or 5 now?  The young City players seem to be sensible and probably won’t rush to leave, but it’s only a matter of time. 

Tom Ritchie didn't know about the offer either, I think that's right, because Alan Dicks didn't tell them. 

3 minutes ago, Furious Custard said:

We are a selling club, give it 2 years max and Semenyo, Scott , Conway , HNM , Pring etc will be gone. Just hope we have another crop coming through to replace them. 

Every team outside the premiership is a selling club. Even most of those in the Premier league are - if a higher placed club want their players. 

At least (in fairness,  since Mark Ashton) we now get the good money for our sought after players (contract status permitting) 

Gone are the days we'd sell Andy Cole for the first offer we get,  without a sell on clause. 

If bigger/premiership clubs want our players,  then there's not alot we can do about it - except make them pay well for them. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Every team outside the premiership is a selling club. Even most of those in the Premier league are - if a higher placed club want their players. 

At least (in fairness,  since Mark Ashton) we now get the good money for our sought after players (contract status permitting) 

Gone are the days we'd sell Andy Cole for the first offer we get,  without a sell on clause. 

If bigger/premiership clubs want our players,  then there's not alot we can do about it - except make them pay well for them. 

Some good points here - firstly couldn’t agree more with that first paragraph, if a club with relatively higher standing than yours (along with player interest / pressure) wants one of your top players, you’re almost resigned to getting the best deal. Just look at Fofana at Leicester.

On that note, for all his faults, Ashton wasn’t bad at that aspect (feel free to argue the player quality / market made it easy for him), so Semenyo or Scott, whoever, will be an interesting test for Gould / Pearson (No idea how involved he gets) in terms of the deal we receive…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Don’t we have to sell players in order to avoid breaching FFP rules and getting a possible points deduction ? That’s what was being said here a couple of months ago. We may not have any choice I’m afraid if a bid comes in.

Where we are with FFP has been mitigated by players going out like Bakinson for an alleged fee and Scmodics sell on among other stuff. 

Some on here are closer to the actual amounts, but SL has stated we don’t have to sell. Although Mr Gould has made it clear we may have a problem in early 2023. The way I read it is a sale in the Jan transfer window may be necessary, but only big bids will be considered right now! 

Anyone ITK see it differently?

It's an interesting topic. 

Let's face it Antoine has put in the graft, together with the backroom staff, to turn him into what he is worth today. We knew he had promise but he couldn't 12 months ago find that final piece needed to hit the ball into the net on a regular basis. Now he can....and then some.

So, how much, if you or I was SL, of a priority is the promised land? What would be our decision if a silly, stupid amount of money was offered for Antoine?

If I was SL, my decision has been made slightly easier because of Tommy Gun Conway. He scores as if he's Gary Lineker (who once said he never scored outside of the 6 yd box).

£20m for AS (and Antoine gets 8-10% off that) and that should keep BCFC financially ok when contracts are renewed for existing players etc.

It's a yes from me despite my anger at the majority of Europe heading into a cesspit of a winter. We can talk about £20 million for just kicking a bag of wind as if it's good value? World has gone mad....or football has.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Would it be any different to when we sold Chris Garland to invest the money across the squad?

At that time I seem to remember people complaining about it, but it was a good thing long term.

Well if we get to buy Antoine back a couple of years later for the same price we sold him for, having won promotion to the top flight, that would be the perfect Chris Garland story all over again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Where we are with FFP has been mitigated by players going out like Bakinson for an alleged fee and Scmodics sell on among other stuff. 

Some on here are closer to the actual amounts, but SL has stated we don’t have to sell. Although Mr Gould has made it clear we may have a problem in early 2023. The way I read it is a sale in the Jan transfer window may be necessary, but only big bids will be considered right now! 

My personal view- NOT gospel but my personal view is that there is a lot of truth to this.

We don't have to resolve FFP until March 2023 at the earliest so we don't have to sell now but as you say January 2023 maybe a different matter. Yes we can keep for now, no obligation to sell at this point.

I believe we have a hole of £2-4m to resolve. As in our projected 3 year loss to 2022-23 will be £41-43m vs the allowance of £39m. Even a good to big sell on clause could save the day.

The unknown is, would if we refused to sell in the face of an FFP resolving bid in January, the EFL push for further points on top of the FFP breach deduction tariff? Well they did with Birmingham although our conduct and cooperation has been far greater.

The other aspect of course is, other clubs knowing we must sell in January, or at least pressure being on to do so plus the nature of the January window could be a problem.

Further Covid losses or add-backs would certainly change the picture depending on size and season.

Otoh a way that timeframes could shift would be if we said to the Football League "We're not selling key players in January come what may, and if we fail FFP then so be it".

Way I see it atm if projections right and no change:

Overspend

3-4 Pts

Mitigation

1 to cover the cooperation, restraint and moving people on. One point back?

Potential for the 2nd bit

We turn down bids in Jan? Surely the EFL would deem this a breach compounding a breach and therefore 3 pts extra was mooted to Birmingham. 

Conclusion

Between 2 and 6 points maybe, the latter and potential 2nd 3 pts if we are unlucky and or pretty defiant.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Mr P gives a great reply.

My view is that we don’t need to sell a big gun to comply….£15m for Semenyo (example) would leave us loads within FFP.  I reckon we are £2-3m short…similar to Mr P.  But if we’ve asked for a bit more covid allowance then we could be inside the £39m.

We could achieve compliance by extending some or all of the contracts of Dasilva, Kalas, Bentley, Massengo and Kalas, because we’d smooth amortisation.  It’s why I wouldn’t necessarily be against offering a bit more than current market wages to get them to re-sign.

I’ve kept quite detailed records of every contract signed, every transfer and the net effect on budget etc, but income and costs is always gonna be a bit of guesswork as it’s two seasons worth of guesstimates, last season and this…so I’ve stopped for now running the numbers into my spreadsheet.

When 21/22s come out, I can then give a better ideal of our position.  We might even see some specific notes re covid / ffp allowances.

• Thanks 1