IGNORED

Please don't

where's the joy

8 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I don’t understand the logic with this. Surely if he has an outstanding season his value will increase, not decrease (or have I misread your post?)

If he only has 1 year left on his contract then no one is going to spend more than £10m knowing they can get him for free in a year's time and that's if he has an excellent season (which I would put my money on), like HNM now we would be lucky to get £3-5m, if he had 2 or more years left we would be looking at £10m+.

One year left on a contract is a buyers market because the club has to sell if they want any money, the club needs to make money to trade under FFP or P&S so is kind of pushed into needing that money if we want to trade up (which of course we do).

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Every team outside the premiership is a selling club. Even most of those in the Premier league are - if a higher placed club want their players. 

At least (in fairness,  since Mark Ashton) we now get the good money for our sought after players (contract status permitting) 

Gone are the days we'd sell Andy Cole for the first offer we get,  without a sell on clause. 

If bigger/premiership clubs want our players,  then there's not alot we can do about it - except make them pay well for them. 

We got really good money when Mark Ashton was here. He might have been a Richard Head, be he knew how to sell.

Who have we sold for double strong money since m?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

We got really good money when Mark Ashton was here. He might have been a Richard Head, be he knew how to sell.

Who have we sold for double strong money since m?

True about Ashton selling relatively well - but he inherited players to sell for very decent fees. The only one brought in during his time at the club where we clearly made a profit was Webster and even then his move from Ipswich followed a tip off from Cole Skuse.

If you think of recent sales since Pearson arrived it’s more been a case of just trying to get the player off of the wage bill any way we can. Think how difficult it was to sell Palmer or Bakinson. The only one who walked away was Cundy, because he wanted regular games at Barnsley, but then given we bought him for a song and his wages would have been pretty low by Championship standards that wasn’t a huge financial loss.