IGNORED

If you like evening kickoffs...enjoy tomorrow.

Mr Popodopolous

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/08/30/efl-considering-early-kick-off-times-avoid-energy-crisis-disaster/

It's only a consideration at this stage but it's clearly on the table- as we get towards Autumn and Winter there is certainly up for discussion the idea of earlier kick off times to limit use of floodlights etc.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/08/30/efl-considering-early-kick-off-times-avoid-energy-crisis-disaster/

It's only a consideration at this stage but it's clearly on the table- as we get towards Autumn and Winter there is certainly up for discussion the idea of earlier kick off times to limit use of floodlights etc.

Surely the massive hit on gates would more than counter the electricity spent

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

Surely the massive hit on gates would more than counter the electricity spent

Possibly on a club by club basis...maybe it'd mean earlier kick-offs on weekends when a lot more people are available, getting dark at 3 or 4 as in winter kinda thing. :dunno:

Title by me is perhaps a bit clickbaity but it is at least a possibility.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I've always wondered why floodlights are on so early & then still on hours after the games have finished. 

Surely reducing the times they are on either side of the game, would make a difference, rather than altering kick off times..? 

The valves need to warm up then warm down after the game...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

Amateur teams manage to play Saturdays and Sundays without floodlights. There’s no reason why lower league teams with small gates couldn’t switch to a 2.00 pm k.o. during the winter. (All league teams used to do the same before the advent of floodlights in the 50s) They might lose a few spectators who don’t like it but, on the other hand, they might gain a few 

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 1

I suppsoe for those who remember it (I definitely don't, before my time without doubt).

Maybe case by case as I say size of fanbase, demographics of fanbase, vs cost etc.

Anyway yeah early to mid 1970s when we had power issues...was this a thing then? Would be interesting to know how this compared if indeed it did.

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Amateur teams manage to play Saturdays and Sundays without floodlights. There’s no reason why lower league teams with small gates couldn’t switch to a 2.00 pm k.o. during the winter. (All league teams used to do the same before the advent of floodlights in the 50s) They might lose a few spectators who don’t like it but, on the other hand, they might gain a few 

For a lot of people, that would be the end of them buying a season ticket. 

• Hmmm 1

Yes , let’s get back to early 70s and 2 pm weekday kick offs . Remember Millwall home , good crowd attendance and like me the number of kids that bunked off school made it all the better. No 9 bus from Hanham was packed to the rafters , poor conductor didn’t know what had hit him. Think it ended in a 1-1 draw. 

Edited by gavlin

2 minutes ago, gavlin said:

Yes , let’s get back to early 70s and 2 pm weekday kick offs . Remember Millwall home , good crowd attendance and like me the number of kids that bunked off school made it all the better. No 9 bus from Hanham was packed to the rafters , poor conductor didn’t know what had hit him. Think it ended in a 1-1 draw. 

My mind immediately goes to Elland Road and a certain , major, FA Upset  !

?⚪?

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

4 minutes ago, gavlin said:

5-2 win for City,  att 9,000 ish

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gavlin said:

I don't really, but it was the first game my dad took me to.

4 minutes ago, gavlin said:

Of course this was the time of power cuts, and includes that famous victory away at Leeds in the FA Cup. Don’t mind starting earlier on a Saturday, and I don’t think it would overly affect attendance. However in mideeek, I really don’t think it would work. And anyway there is a 4 week break for the World Cup almost as soon as the clocks go back. That might be a lifeline for a few pubs too…

The savings for smaller clubs kicking off at 2pm instead of 3pm on weekends will far outweigh any potential loss of fans due to an earlier kick off. 

Football was played with big attendances up until the 1950's without floodlights as well. 

1 hour ago, Bernard Lerring said:

With the number of nobheads that shine their phones torches at each other between the Lansdown and the Dolman, we'll probably be covered

Wow, probably another ‘south stander’ that doesn’t see or chooses to ignore the fact people in that stand do it as well.

10 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The savings for smaller clubs kicking off at 2pm instead of 3pm on weekends will far outweigh any potential loss of fans due to an earlier kick off. 

Football was played with big attendances up until the 1950's without floodlights as well. 

Midweek would be the problem here, what with work schedules- an hour or so earlier on weekends maybe not so much.;

Could depend on size and demographics of fanbase too in some respects.

1 hour ago, gavlin said:

I'd bunk off school to watch the City and I'm a teacher ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, gavlin said:

1 hour ago, southside said:

5-2 win for City,  att 9,000 ish

If this is the one I'm thiking of, a young Gordon Hill was playing for Millwall, not too long before his big move to Manchester United.

Could have this all wrong, it was ages ago.