IGNORED

We Need to Talk About Kal

Port Said Red

8 hours ago, red colin said:

If he hadn't made the errors he has so far we would have at least 3 extra points which is only a few games .over a season how many points are you happy to drop unnecessarily?

If I think we can realistically win the league - none.

If I think winning the league is unrealistic, I don't care how many points we lose... more interested in how many we win... or more accurately, how many we make a damned fine, positive effort to try to win.

I pay for entertainment, not risk management...

• Like 1

I mean, yes, sure, cut out the mistakes that have cost us points of course.

Just in terms of some balance for the Blackpool game, it was his cheeky free kick that directly led to us going 3-2 up in the first place. Yes, his was the major error that led to 3-3, but without his contributions it was arguably 2-2.

• Flames 1

11 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

If I think we can realistically win the league - none.

If I think winning the league is unrealistic, I don't care how many points we lose... more interested in how many we win... or more accurately, how many we make a damned fine, positive effort to try to win.

I pay for entertainment, not risk management...

Ok to miss the playoffs by 3 points then 

19 hours ago, red colin said:

Do you not think he could do James job better than James?

I think they are different, James very rarely gives the ball away in tight midfield spaces. 

Naismith - Great passing range, ability to pick a pass through the lines.

James - Not the same passing range, but able to receive the ball in tight spaces, retain possession and keep the ball ticking over. 

Edited by marcofisher

Just now, Mad Cyril said:

If we do, it won't be down to one player, one result or one incident.

Seriously, you would be prepared to sit through turgid hoofball all season for the sake of a hypothetical 3 points?

Not at all I would push maybe our most creative passer in naismith into left of midfield 2 and take his  unfortunate errors out of the back 3.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I think they are different, James very rarely gives the ball away in tight midfield spaces. 

Naismith - Great passing range, ability to pick a pass through the lines.

James - Not the same passing range, but able to receive the ball in tight spaces, retain possession and keep the ball ticking over. 

Your right but I would prefer naismith giving the ball away in front of defence rather than as last man, and think he would benefit the team there more than James. 

• Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, red colin said:

Not at all I would push maybe our most creative passer in naismith into left of midfield 2 and take his  unfortunate errors out of the back 3.

I'm not sure that would work personally, we'd lose that dimension from the back...and in a CM 2 I still have doubts vs the better sides- Naismith in a back 3 also theoretically gives us better in-game flexibility to switch between 2 and 3 in CM, back 4 and back 3 with wingbacks etc.

• Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not sure that would work personally, we'd lose that dimension from the back...and in a CM 2 I still have doubts vs the better sides- Naismith in a back 3 also theoretically gives us better in-game flexibility to switch between 2 and 3 in CM, back 4 and back 3 with wingbacks etc.

Agree he has had massive influence from the back.my concern is better sides will likely bring more risky passing from him  there,they will know he is open to a risky pass and try and probably work on it.its a bit of a conundrum for me I like a solid klose in there if fit of course. I also like the thought of him picking passes through nearer our forwards who are all mobile now and opening up room for him hmm glad nige us picking the team.

Naismith hasn't got the legs for midfield, you can see he is pretty slow over the first couple yards, he seems quicker with the ball then without it. His best position recently before his move here was at the back playing out.

The main times it has been dangerous is the switch of play to Atkinson or Vyner and it's been cut out, like the Blackpool equaliser or one to Atkinson in the Huddersfield game which I think Holmes pinched in.

The amount of times the ball has gone to Vyner and Sykes is bombing on 1v1 with his man and same with JD too when they are open on their own. About time we saw some of our players taking risks to try and impose ourselves on teams, I'm too used to other teams doing it to us. 

NP wants us to play out like this to create different angles for forward play, sometimes the ball should go back to Bentley if we are winning but it is refreshing to see a team wanting to play throughout the whole game.

We create even more opportunities than last year with his play, if it means we're more open then so be it. We can outscore any team in this division playing like this and I'm all for it. No defence in this league will want to play against our forward line and the options we have off the bench.

He is a massive part as to why we are creating so much, the team and NP trusts him to bring it out and play and it lets our forward three and midfield play further up. 

We'll rip some teams apart and I haven't said a City team could do that in a long time. Three 2-0's in a row at home is brilliant, we may get caught out more away from home but at least we still carry a threat. A big threat.

Edited by ProfitInMyPocket
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

In all the games you say he's cost us goals/points he's stopped so many goal threats and mostly dominated our box. People only highlight the mistakes. It doesn't work that way. We are definitely more solid with him this season. That's what we should all acknowledge. 3 clean sheets at home in 4 games......say no more.

Not true the mistakes are points on the board I am not knocking  naismith the opposite I think he is our most influenctial  player  but he has cost us points that is what we as fans and the management will have to look back on at end of season 3 points lost already will poss  mean missing out on playoffs or promotion come end of season, I believe his risky passing at heart of defence will be the thing that comes back to haunt us, 

1 hour ago, red colin said:

Not true the mistakes are points on the board I am not knocking  naismith the opposite I think he is our most influenctial  player  but he has cost us points that is what we as fans and the management will have to look back on at end of season 3 points lost already will poss  mean missing out on playoffs or promotion come end of season, I believe his risky passing at heart of defence will be the thing that comes back to haunt us, 

Out of interest, does anyone count Tommy Conway’s header at Wigan for example as costing us 2 points (1-1 at the time).  Or Chris Martin’s miss v Sunderland?

• Like 5

I think/hope he will reduce those passes, we won't cut them out completely as it's an aggressive, risky game that Nige has settled into.
In possession , Bents or Naismith, the WB's push on, the wide CB's hug the touchline and MF look to drop or find space. There are usually passes on, but sometimes like the other night the other team makes it difficult. Sometimes Naismith go long or back and sometimes he will try and break the lines. It does look risky (and has been) but it's obviously how Pearson sees or best way of playing and keeping possession. The same thing can be said about trying to nick the ball early. Vyner got turned a couple of times the other night trying to win the ball early. I didn't see Nige moaning so it is obviously the game plan. 

It's bound to take a while to settle in to this style of play, it's still very early, but so far it's working and will improve. Those few mistakes are far outweighed by the other things he brings to the team. It's the first time for many seasons we have had a vocal CB , something many of us have been calling for, for years. Watch him , he will call out mistakes and organise, but he will go up after and put an arm round or explain, this can't be undervalued.

• Like 3

We’re playing a more risk, more reward style of football, trying to attract the press to draw the opposition onto us then attack the space down then channels and behind. We may make a mistake that will cost us the odd goal but all in all it seems to be working. Naismith is key to this with his distribution and passing into the midfield. Unfortunately, with Vyner it’s more to do with the defensive strength rather than the odd loose pass. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, does anyone count Tommy Conway’s header at Wigan for example as costing us 2 points (1-1 at the time).  Or Chris Martin’s miss v Sunderland?

If we hadn’t lost at Hull I think the Sunderland result would have been different. 
That ref cost more than a win. 

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Not sure about that but he had a very good game. Wells two goals won us the game 

47 minutes ago, Negan said:

won us the game today

Or as Owers replied when asked by Hoskins , the single reason for the win today

He replied.    ‘ The TEAM performance’    emphasising , and expanding on the team aspect , and how players backed each other up etc etc 

• Like 3