IGNORED

Incoming

Marina's Rolls Royce

A load of points incoming because we have a really good squad as it is- not perfect, not complete but the best strike force in...errr... ever(?) - pretty much and a defence that should be able to keep out less goals than we can score.

Sorry if you got excited but we are where we are and it ain't bad.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Hmmm 2

11 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

A load of points incoming because we have a really good squad as it is- not perfect, not complete but the best strike force in...errr... ever(?) - pretty much and a defence that should be able to keep out less goals than we can score.

We'll know more about where we are after the away games at Norwich and Burnley.  Until then I reserve judgement.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yet you wanted Pearson sacked not long ago 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

19 minutes ago, Malago said:

Until then I reserve judgement.

Absolutely fair play- we've done nothing yet but in my time I just cant remember a better strike force. I just think we are probably gonna struggle with our defence to some degree but our strike force will compensate. 

Just remember the Tammy season- one guy made a complete difference(pretty much) now we have Semenyo who could possibly be as potent but also  Conway, Weimann & Martin.

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yet you wanted Pearson sacked not long ago 

Yep- and if you want to chat about that- I'm very happy to do so. The thread was November 2021.

Edited by Marina's Rolls Royce

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

No , not really . My point is . A lot of fans judge managers instantly and only on results. A lot of fans also don’t appreciate where any club is when a manager takes over. Things are rarely going well for that to happen.

The amount of work he had to do was & is still huge. Getting rid of a inflated unbalanced squad. Having to massively reduce the wage bill . Having to try & coach players with a coaching staff he clearly didn’t want. Trying to get a tune out of players that were treading water waiting to run their contracts down . Turning around a soft underbelly of a culture we had & instilling a belief & fighting spirit. Managing to just stay up in his first few months & despite having no money to spend & getting rid of 13/14 players , kept us up easily last season. This season kicking on again with good sprinkling of youth & experience , playing pressing exciting brand of attacking football . 
You wanted him out last season. Moaned at the very start of this & will no doubt be back on the Pearson out bandwagon if/when we get a few injuries & no doubt defeats. 
Therefore , you either didn’t understand what the club was going through over this period of time & don’t understand the process the clubs been through or you just don’t understand football at all . 
you could fall somewhere in between of course . 
No need to respond , I won’t be reading it . 

Your point about Vyner in July:

It’s a lack of concentration , nothing else . He’s done it all his career & I think he’s 25 now . It’s common in lower league defenders . Decision making is a major difference between top of the game & lower leagues , not just technical abilities. Swansea away last season was the final straw for me & it seemed Pearson . I’d be amazed if Zak plays many games this season

We're all so effing clever aren't we? - and yes you'll read this.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It’s a lack of concentration , nothing else . He’s done it all his career & I think he’s 25 now . It’s common in lower league defenders . Decision making is a major difference between top of the game & lower leagues , not just technical abilities. Swansea away last season was the final straw for me & it seemed Pearson . I’d be amazed if Zak plays many games this season

Ok yes I read it . What’s your point ? 
I don’t think Zak was good enough & I still don’t long term . What’s that got to do with Pearson ? 

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Not really the same though is it? You’re not comparing apples with apples.  SSN - Commenting on a player who many thought may not quite make the grade. You - desperate for our manager to fail even though he hasn’t had a pot to piss in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

Not really the same though is it? You’re not comparing apples with apples.  SSN - Commenting on a player who many thought may not quite make the grade. You - desperate for our manager to fail even though he hasn’t had a pot to piss in. 

I think he’s read it wrong & thought I meant it was the final straw for nige. 

Starting a tread praising a team being moulded by a man the OP has clearly had a agenda against for months is quite bizarre .

Nothing  wrong with him changing his mind of course but he was quite vitriolic about him 

59 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I hope they keep out more than we score, but I fear at times you may be correct!

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

I think he’s read it wrong & thought I meant it was the final straw for nige. 

Starting a tread praising a team being moulded by a man the OP has clearly had a agenda against for months is quite bizarre .

Nothing  wrong with him changing his mind of course but he was quite vitriolic about him 

Very. It’s the lack of comprehension of the state we are in in comparison with other managers reigns and the lack of leeway given as a result that I just don’t get as you explained.  If people who support this club cannot see it then I just give up.

Never mind. I’m sure he’s traipsing through my posting history to see what faux pas’s I’ve made in the past as we speak. I await the charges with baited breath! 

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Ok yes I read it . What’s your point ? 
I don’t think Zak was good enough & I still don’t long term . What’s that got to do with Pearson ? 

You had me at "no need to respond - I won't be reading this"

I did and you did. 

You said you'd be amazed if Vyner got many games - I think it's every one so far. So be amazed.

I thought that Pearson should have been sacked a year ago- I'm not amazed just relieved he has managed to make the most of what he has which, imo, was always quite a good squad and stated this despite the constant- it's not Nige- it's that virtually the entire squad was stealing a living or not good enough. I have always been very transparent about NP:

He has never been a dwarf  or too tall or too thin or too fat or MA's love child or "has something on SL". I have never said anything other than he should be getting more from the squad of players at his disposal and now he currently is so has my support. Prior to that he was breaking some terrible records and looked to many like a dead man walking. 

You have to learn that criticism is the home to any football fan and fair criticism based on results and performances - particularly when it's not personal is part and parcel of the game. A player can improve as can a Manager. Jeez- have you never changed your mind when someone improves?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

You’ve changed your tune! 

Two weeks ago you were slagging me of for saying Pearson was a good manager and knew what he was doing. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

No , not really . My point is . A lot of fans judge managers instantly and only on results. A lot of fans also don’t appreciate where any club is when a manager takes over. Things are rarely going well for that to happen.

The amount of work he had to do was & is still huge. Getting rid of a inflated unbalanced squad. Having to massively reduce the wage bill . Having to try & coach players with a coaching staff he clearly didn’t want. Trying to get a tune out of players that were treading water waiting to run their contracts down . Turning around a soft underbelly of a culture we had & instilling a belief & fighting spirit. Managing to just stay up in his first few months & despite having no money to spend & getting rid of 13/14 players , kept us up easily last season. This season kicking on again with good sprinkling of youth & experience , playing pressing exciting brand of attacking football . 
You wanted him out last season. Moaned at the very start of this & will no doubt be back on the Pearson out bandwagon if/when we get a few injuries & no doubt defeats. 
Therefore , you either didn’t understand what the club was going through over this period of time & don’t understand the process the clubs been through or you just don’t understand football at all . 

My feelings exactly.

However thats just most of our fans isn't it? @Marina's Rolls Royceisn't alone in his changing views, 90% of our fan base are the same.

30 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

You had me at "no need to respond - I won't be reading this"

I did and you did. 

You said you'd be amazed if Vyner got many games - I think it's every one so far. So be amazed.

I thought that Pearson should have been sacked a year ago- I'm not amazed just relieved he has managed to make the most of what he has which, imo, was always quite a good squad and stated this despite the constant- it's not Nige- it's that virtually the entire squad was stealing a living or not good enough. I have always been very transparent about NP:

He has never been a dwarf  or too tall or too thin or too fat or MA's love child or "has something on SL". I have never said anything other than he should be getting more from the squad of players at his disposal and now he currently is so has my support. Prior to that he was breaking some terrible records and looked to many like a dead man walking. 

You have to learn that criticism is the home to any football fan and fair criticism based on results and performances - particularly when it's not personal is part and parcel of the game. A player can improve as can a Manager. Jeez- have you never changed your mind when someone improves?

Vyner has nothing to do with this . you’re just back tracking & trying to irrelevantly point score because I embarrassed you.  I knew the , I won’t read this remark would get under you’re skin.
As for the rest of your last post . Well it’s just rambling. I said before , people can change their mind, or didn’t you read it ? 

Last season  you were on here backing up some cretin(who’s had multiple bans)  that was just making up lies about behind the scenes unrest, it’s pitiful.

I was right in the beginning , you didn’t /don’t have a clue what goes on. It’s just a knee jerk reaction with each game . 

Edited by steviestevieneville

37 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Absolutely. I’ve got total confidence that Pearson knows exactly what he’s doing. Look at what we’re starting to achieve and he hasn’t spent that much money either. 

We’re in for an exciting season, things are starting to click into place. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaveF said:

My feelings exactly.

However thats just most of our fans isn't it? @Marina's Rolls Royceisn't alone in his changing views, 90% of our fan base are the same.

Yes I agree & we’re all allowed to do that. It was the vitriolic reactions without  knowing or wanting to know the state the club was in before wanting Pearson out I don’t understand 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yes I agree & we’re all allowed to do that. It was the vitriolic reactions without  knowing or wanting to know the state the club was in before wanting Pearson out I don’t understand 

I think a lot of fans don't pay enough attention to understand it to be honest, which is fair enough I suppose.

I waste for too much time trying to understand these things!

11 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I'm. Not sure why you feel the need to piss on anyone else's bonfire, if they are starting to come around to things now (natural after improvement in results & performances) 

Let's be honest - whatever the (justifiable) reasons - there can be little doubt that NP had a woeful first 18 months here. 

Transition & rebuilding are one thing, but utter lack of any pattern, plan & consistent failure to get (anywhere near) the best out of what we had was incredibly disappointing & frustrating, especially from an experienced manager. 

The turn around (so far) this season has been dramatic & it's fun again, after several seasons of dross - NP deserves congratulations for that. 

The time it took to get here & the displays during that interim period certainly had me questioning if he was the right man. It was utterly dreadful. 

At the same time, I think everyone needs to temper their excitement a little bit.... Be honest & we've had a reasonably easy start to the season - that's not taking anything away from a decent start, which really could have seen us pick up an extra 4 points, very justifiably. 

Can we do it against the better teams in the division...? That's yet to be seen. 

It's great to go into games believing that we have a good chance again & that the football is finally exciting & entertaining - credit to all involved with that. 

I think we've already shown that we should be plenty good enough to avoid any struggle over the course of the season. 

Can we defend against the teams with better quality..? Can we score against the teams with that extra quality...? 

Of course we all hope that the answers will be "yes" but we've yet to see if any improvement will take us up to those levels. 

Injuries permitting, I'd like to think that we have a decent chance - although our defensive frailties are the obvious concern. 

If we aren't up to top 6 standards, then I think most will be fully accepting of that, as long as we try our best & can at least compete.

A progressive mid-table season, will satisfy most & anything above that is going to come down to this gulf, or lack of, between what we have faced so far & the teams are are/will be competing amongst the upper places in the division. 

IF we can hold our own, consistently, against them - then the top 6 isn't out of the question - but there's alot to be seen before we can really assess where the season might lead. 

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Had a ‘woeful’ first 18 months here ?

What the extremely difficult task of sanitising a car crash of a squad , attitude and culture , whilst halving the wage bill

Rebuilding the base foundations

Realism

Righting the wrongs of The Oilslick and his Cuban-heeled sidekick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Had a ‘woeful’ first 18 months here ?

What the extremely difficult task of sanitising a car crash of a squad , attitude and culture , whilst halving the wage bill

Rebuilding the base foundations

Realism

Yep, hindsight says he had a fantastic 18 months IMO.

Kept us up, settled the ship, kept us up again by any means necessary and has now removed some deadwood

All along blooding young talent, galvanising the squad and giving us something to be proud of again.

Was it pretty? No. Did we win enough games? Absolutely not. Has he done what we needed to start to rebuild? Absolutely.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Very few fans understand how a football club operates, let alone what happens on the field.

The amount of inane comments I hear at games, baffles me tbh. I'm all for people having an opinion, but some talk absolute rubbish and lack any sense of objectivity. At Blackpool, someone near me wanted Wells substituted as he had not scored within the first 30 mins.... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm. Not sure why you feel the need to piss on anyone else's bonfire, if they are starting to come around to things now (natural after improvement in results & performances) 

Let's be honest - whatever the (justifiable) reasons - there can be little doubt that NP had a woeful first 18 months here. 

Transition & rebuilding are one thing, but utter lack of any pattern, plan & consistent failure to get (anywhere near) the best out of what we had was incredibly disappointing & frustrating, especially from an experienced manager. 

The turn around (so far) this season has been dramatic & it's fun again, after several seasons of dross - NP deserves congratulations for that. 

The time it took to get here & the displays during that interim period certainly had me questioning if he was the right man. It was utterly dreadful. 

At the same time, I think everyone needs to temper their excitement a little bit.... Be honest & we've had a reasonably easy start to the season - that's not taking anything away from a decent start, which really could have seen us pick up an extra 4 points, very justifiably. 

Can we do it against the better teams in the division...? That's yet to be seen. 

It's great to go into games believing that we have a good chance again & that the football is finally exciting & entertaining - credit to all involved with that. 

I think we've already shown that we should be plenty good enough to avoid any struggle over the course of the season. 

Can we defend against the teams with better quality..? Can we score against the teams with that extra quality...? 

Of course we all hope that the answers will be "yes" but we've yet to see if any improvement will take us up to those levels. 

Injuries permitting, I'd like to think that we have a decent chance - although our defensive frailties are the obvious concern. 

If we aren't up to top 6 standards, then I think most will be fully accepting of that, as long as we try our best & can at least compete.

A progressive mid-table season, will satisfy most & anything above that is going to come down to this gulf, or lack of, between what we have faced so far & the teams are are/will be competing amongst the upper places in the division. 

IF we can hold our own, consistently, against them - then the top 6 isn't out of the question - but there's alot to be seen before we can really assess where the season might lead. 

I think this is a view in a similar vain to MMR….your view of it being woeful has now changed to it no longer being woeful now.  That appears to be based on your view of what happens on the pitch.  Correct me if I’m reading it wrong.  Whereas my view is that there was so much going on off the pitch, what he achieved on the pitch was still very good (insert other appropriate word).

I totally get that some people judge everything via the 90 minutes / result, Saturday, midweek, Saturday etc.  That is fine.  What has frustrated me in particular is the disregard from some (many) that you can’t use other ways of looking at it to evaluate Nige / City just by looking at match day “stuff”…and therefore shutting down my opinion (and others).

I call it having a wider, rounded, balanced view, but that sounds a bit arrogant + that my way of looking at it is better than someone else’s.  It’s not, nor is it meant to be, but if that is deemed as accurate, how is it any less arrogant to do it the other way?

We should be able to have different “measures” / ways of evaluating / expressing our opinion, whilst being respectful that others do it differently.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think this is a view in a similar vain to MMR….your view of it being woeful has now changed to it no longer being woeful now.  That appears to be based on your view of what happens on the pitch.  Correct me if I’m reading it wrong.  Whereas my view is that there was so much going on off the pitch, what he achieved on the pitch was still very good (insert other appropriate word).

I totally get that some people judge everything via the 90 minutes / result, Saturday, midweek, Saturday etc.  That is fine.  What has frustrated me in particular is the disregard from some (many) that you can’t use other ways of looking at it to evaluate Nige / City just by looking at match day “stuff”…and therefore shutting down my opinion (and others).

I call it having a wider, rounded, balanced view, but that sounds a bit arrogant + that my way of looking at it is better than someone else’s.  It’s not, nor is it meant to be, but if that is deemed as accurate, how is it any less arrogant to do it the other way?

We should be able to have different “measures” / ways of evaluating / expressing our opinion, whilst being respectful that others do it differently.

I agree with all that. 

I've never got so far as wanting NP out - but I'll freely hold my hands up to feeling total disappointment at his apparent, complete failure to improve us - which I felt was the case - no game plan, style, system & worse, we seemed to never work on our weakest areas. 

I have, however, always appreciated that he's had alot else to deal with & manage off the pitch. So I came into this season (pretty happy that we'd tried to address our weakest areas) hoping we'd see some improvement. 

I did say that with our early season "easier" fixtures, that we'd need to be in a reasonably healthy position come the world Cup break & that should we be battling at the bottom at that point, then a change may be needed. 

Thankfully, that doesn't look like it's going to be the case (I say nervously with a steep step up in opposition to now head our way) 

So far (this season) so good and I hope with all hope that we can continue in the way that we've started. 

• Like 1

On 01/09/2022 at 20:54, Malago said:

We'll know more about where we are after the away games at Norwich and Burnley.  Until then I reserve judgement.

What would you expect from matches at Norwich and Burnley?

Unless you think City's improvement suddenly makes us an exceptional team in this league these are extremely tough fixtures for any club and there shouldn't be high expectations points- wise.

While not having a defeatist attitude I'll be looking first and foremost for a continuation of solid competitive performances and if that leads to any points gained they will be extremely hard earned and can be considered a commendable bonus imo.

• Like 1