IGNORED

Nahki Nahki Nahki!!!!

robin for life

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Although Wells hasn’t been a good fit for much of his time here, I still like to remind everyone he was our top scorer in 20/21, despite playing half the season on the left wing.  He’s not been a success, but he’s not been the abject failure some make out either.

I think the question I have is whether he could have been a success if we had developed a team around him, rather than use him as a random ‘bit-part’ player.

I think he could have been personally.

Anyhow, setting aside the untapped potential issue, I’ve loved his professionalism throughout. Exemplary - at least viewed from a distance and possibly has played a big part in Tommy’s development which - if nothing else - has paid back some of his £££ costs. 

• Like 5

On 04/09/2022 at 00:12, billywedlock said:

I have not mentioned his attitude . His approach to games is vastly different , unlike his past . Full credit to him. His attitude has been excellent but he now is demonstrating a very different delivery . You are talking rubbish and inventing a commentary not stated . Wells has raised and modified his game . He is now at the races . 

Well no. You said he is now working hard and smart and indicated this was not what he was doing before. So you did imply that he was not working hard before - which goes to attitude.

You may not have meant to say that, but that was how it read.

5 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Who the hell was in midfield that played better than Scott, then ?

Although surprisingly in the Football League Paper ratings he only got 7/10?? Scott I mean.

Although Weimann also made their Championship team of week and NP their Championship Manager of the week.

Maybe these things are a bit automated, goal or assist- x pct towards a rating mark.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the team.

EFL use whoscored's ratings, which in themselves are based on data from Opta. If it makes anyone feel better then Naismith is in whoscored's Champ team of the week.  Wells scored a 9.3 out of ten in our game, Scott a 7.2. Whoscored rated Weimann at 7.8, thanks to two assists, Hames at 7.8 despite a yellow which is incredible. Personally I suspect it's because Scott won't have got credit for something like his little bit of control and break out in the lead up to the first goal. For that he'll get a pass completion and that's about it, but an observer will be raving about it all day. Scott also got booked, which will have dropped his rating, although most observers will ignore that when giving their own thoughts.

If you are bored or care very deeply about Alex Scott's omission, then whoscored explain their ratings system here: https://www.whoscored.com/Explanations

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 1

On 03/09/2022 at 22:07, AshtonRobin21 said:

It's a funny old game isn't it? 

At the end of last season, I thought our front 3 was one of the best in the league (Martin, Semenyo and Weimann). 

Fast forward to the start of this season, and two members of last season's trio (Semenyo and Martin) are on the bench, whilst we have a wealth of options who are all contributing with goals and assists.

Credit to every single one of them. All playing their part, and all seem capable of partnering eachother. 

Really feels that something special is happening. 

Agree. Form fluctuates. It’s just as Pearson says - get in team and play well and you’ll stay there. Martin’s form dipped compared to last season and that’s why he was dropped (I watched him v Sunderland and he just didn’t look his usual self). Wells has come in with his best performances of his time here (so far - hopefully!). So whilst I never liked seeing Wells played on the wing, I don’t think you can put it all down to our misuse of Wells’ talents. There have been matches in past seasons when his touch or passing has been poor even when playing as a striker. He is on fire at the moment - I have never seen him as sharp. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'll repeat a question asked on another thread a few weeks ago if I may. Do we think Nahki would be up for signing a 'Weimann' type deal? A decent length of contract but lower wages?

I'd hope he would entertain the possibility.

Nahki Wells costing us £0 in amortisation and on £10,000 a week costs us £500k a season. That's a much better deal than his current £2m cost. Frees up £1.5m of balance sheet cost to cover other wages or fees.

• Like 1

On 03/09/2022 at 20:46, robin for life said:

What about when he's bagged 20 plus goals this year and leads us to the Premier League, is it OK to say "I Told You So" then, because that's exactly what will happen if we stick with him and Conway and bring on Semenyo when one gets tired or doesn't fire. Plus if we rock up our defence. Wells, Conway, Weimann and Semenyo are the forward line that can finally get us to the promised land. 

How do we rock up our defence with no available transfer money 

4 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

But even if Wells continues his form his current salary is beyond City's pay structure. Would he be able to match that with a transfer. Possibly.

I'm a big Wells fan, but I wouldn't be looking to extend his contract until end of the season, if we went up, there is no need to offer him a new one, as he wont be good enough in the top flight, if we don't go up, it might be worth a one year extension on lesser terms if he wants it.

Just now, robin for life said:

I'm a big Wells fan, but I wouldn't be looking to extend his contract until end of the season, if we went up, there is no need to offer him a new one, as he wont be good enough in the top flight, if we don't go up, it might be worth a one year extension on lesser terms if he wants it.

Yes I agree. I been huge fan of his and great to see him given a proper run in correct position

On 03/09/2022 at 21:23, Sheltons Army said:

Many will disagree , but to me the issue all along was Diedhiou and finding how to use him (I felt he was very much over lauded on here and would have moved him on 12-18 months in) as he never formed , or looked like forming any partnership or good interaction with anybody that went through the side during that period

If you remember , for a fair time leading to buying Wells Lee had ‘wanted a 9’ (To replace Diedhiou ???) and Ashton was forever on about ‘We need a 9’

Then we got misty eyed over Wells goals that season at QPR , had an opportunity to grab Wells (Probably helped by Burnley wanting Josh

I wasn’t too keen, I thought Wells was ‘ok’ but had had a stellar period , remember pondering with others how LJ intended to use Wells as for me Diedhiou had indicated that he was not suitable for a partnership

Wells is not a ‘9’ in a traditional sense (in my mind anyway)

Hes a ‘second’ striker , working with / off someone else

For me , Wells was never going to benefit from a pairing with Famara , he wasn’t a replacement for Famara , and he needed someone suitable with who to work with

I was a Famara fan, but I must admit that I think you are right here.

Give it a rest dude. I personally like him and want him to stay and do well. but I can fully understand why others felt he was not worth the wage over the last 2 years. 

These "oh look at me, i know better" posts are embarrassing. 

Edited by BS3_RED
  • Like 1