IGNORED

Matty James

steviestevieneville

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pearson trusts him & rates him, that’s all you need to know.

He does a lot of the unsung stuff really well.

That’s why some fans don’t rate him, because he’s not showing up in games. To play the football we are at present you need that experience in midfield. Another one is Andy king who doesn’t get the praise he deserves

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Much maligned by some of our fans ,however I thought he was excellent Wednesday & today . Very good positionally , broke up play with some intelligent passing . Give Scott licence to play his natural game as well. Top pro that we’re lucky to have , on & off the pitch . 

Think James started pretty steadily for us last season, but then played for several games with his injured foot (Plantar???) and that seemed to lower our evaluation of him.  Think he formed a reasonably decent partnership at the back end of the season, but for many the die was cast.

Dont get me wrong I don’t think he’s been brilliant overall, but when fit I think he’s got some unfair criticism.  He is good positionally, and he actually closes down well, just not great on the turn!

Was good on Wednesday, better today…just that Alex Scott was so good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Always felt we lacked stability last season when James wasn't available..

Yes we lost a lot of games but Birmingham away when he went off sticks in the mind, we collapsed on the night after that.

Alex Scott’s interview was telling . He was asked about playing along side James. He said, he’s so experienced & talks to me all the time during games. Coaching him through games , not that he seems to need it.  . That’s why it’s much better for Scott’s development at the moment to stay where he is .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think James started pretty steadily for us last season, but then played for several games with his injured foot (Plantar???) and that seemed to lower our evaluation of him.  Think he formed a reasonably decent partnership at the back end of the season, but for many the die was cast.

Dont get me wrong I don’t think he’s been brilliant overall, but when fit I think he’s got some unfair criticism.  He is good positionally, and he actually closes down well, just not great on the turn!

Agree. Don’t get me wrong , I’d still prefer a more mobile midfield against the likes of Burnley & josh & personally would like a proper midfield three against them in Scott, massengo & Williams . To do anything long term though we need James & king short term , if that makes sense 

• Like 1

I rate James but I know many don’t. He’s probably the only player in the side without much pace, and I think that’s where the criticism comes in(Same with Martin)

But the job he does anchoring miidfield and his range of passing gives us a different dimension than Massengo or Williams. All 3 will get their games alongside Scott at some point but a fit and firing James probably gets the nod for me. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agree. Don’t get me wrong , I’d still prefer a more mobile midfield against the likes of Burnley & josh & personally would like a proper midfield three against them in Scott, massengo & Williams . To do anything long term though we need James & king short term , if that makes sense 

I agree with you….thinking back, I liked James early last season, then we switched to a 2 man midfield (back three initiated) and he had to play alongside Bakinson for some of them.  Enough to make anyone look bad ???

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

One of those solid players that tends to give a 6 minimum, 8 at the max.

Does the simple stuff well and gives us license to press. Seasoned professional and assured in possession.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Alex Scott’s interview was telling . He was asked about playing along side James. He said, he’s so experienced & talks to me all the time during games. Coaching him through games , not that he seems to need it.  . That’s why it’s much better for Scott’s development at the moment to stay where he is .

Well it does for this season. I love the lad but if he’s still with us in the championship next season then somethings wrong. Needs to be in the prem next year with or without us. Could go to a top 6 (think he’d love that spurs move) and get occasional game time but he’d easily be able to handle his own at the rest of the clubs. Another season with the likes of James, Williams and King will do him wonders and hopefully add a few more million ?

28 minutes ago, Negan said:

Well it does for this season. I love the lad but if he’s still with us in the championship next season then somethings wrong. Needs to be in the prem next year with or without us. Could go to a top 6 (think he’d love that spurs move) and get occasional game time but he’d easily be able to handle his own at the rest of the clubs. Another season with the likes of James, Williams and King will do him wonders and hopefully add a few more million ?

I don't think.going to a top 6 club this early is going to do him any favours. Go to a prem club where he will play most weeks then the next move will be to a top team. Or stay here and play every week!

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Always felt we lacked stability last season when James wasn't available..

Yes we lost a lot of games but Birmingham away when he went off sticks in the mind, we collapsed on the night after that.

Couldn't agree more. Definitely the best partnership in midfield for me with Scott. Midfielders need to be intelligent first and foremost.

28 minutes ago, Super said:

I don't think.going to a top 6 club this early is going to do him any favours. Go to a prem club where he will play most weeks then the next move will be to a top team. Or stay here and play every week!

Then you’re mad. If he picks the right club like a arsenal, Tottenham or even Man City, granted there’s a risk involved but the reward is worth it. He’s not a 16 year old with no game time moving to a top 6 team. He’d be 20 with around 100 games under his belt. They’d be shelling out I’d imagine in the region of 20-30m for him so that’s not a signing they’d make for the reserves. He’d be involved and be in and around the best players/managers in the world.

I’m by no means saying it’s the best move he could make but it would be the opposite to “not doing him any favours”. Yes he’d probably get more game time at the likes of Brentford/Palace but I genuinely think who ever signs him next season is doing so with the intention to be playing regularly. If I was him I’d rather be learning under a Conte or pep and playing/training with the likes of Kane, KDB and Son than playing a few games more at a lesser team. If he backs himself like I’m pretty sure he does, he wouldn’t take a move where he wouldn’t play. 

6 minutes ago, Negan said:

Then you’re mad. If he picks the right club like a arsenal, Tottenham or even Man City, granted there’s a risk involved but the reward is worth it. He’s not a 16 year old with no game time moving to a top 6 team. He’d be 20 with around 100 games under his belt. They’d be shelling out I’d imagine in the region of 20-30m for him so that’s not a signing they’d make for the reserves. He’d be involved and be in and around the best players/managers in the world.

I’m by no means saying it’s the best move he could make but it would be the opposite to “not doing him any favours”. Yes he’d probably get more game time at the likes of Brentford/Palace but I genuinely think who ever signs him next season is doing so with the intention to be playing regularly. If I was him I’d rather be learning under a Conte or pep and playing/training with the likes of Kane, KDB and Son than playing a few games more at a lesser team. If he backs himself like I’m pretty sure he does, he wouldn’t take a move where he wouldn’t play. 

He won't get a game at a Man City or a spurs. He needs to play games and get experience. Villa would be a great move working with Gerrard.

Edited by Super

8 minutes ago, Super said:

He won't get a game at a Man City or a spurs. He needs to play games and get experience. Villa would be a great move working with Gerrard.

If he’s still in a job then ......?

Personally I actually think he would thrive and develop to another level at a Man City - And I do think he’s a player Pep would like

He has a very good all round game but I think it’s quite important that he goes to a possession based side , where his attributes can shine , and City’s play would suit him perfectly IMHO

Would he get a game there ?  Different q and certainly wouldn’t be easy , but I don’t think he’d look out of place and he’s only going to get better

12 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

If he’s still in a job then ......?

Personally I actually think he would thrive and develop to another level at a Man City - And I do think he’s a player Pep would like

He has a very good all round game but I think it’s quite important that he goes to a possession based side , where his attributes can shine , and City’s play would suit him perfectly IMHO

Would he get a game there ?  Different q and certainly wouldn’t be easy , but I don’t think he’d look out of place and he’s only going to get better

He's a long way off Man City. You have seen with Phillips going there how difficult it's going to be to break into that team. Has he even played yet?

10 minutes ago, Super said:

He's a long way off Man City. You have seen with Phillips going there how difficult it's going to be to break into that team. Has he even played yet?

Players who sign say that there is a lot to take in / learn under Pep and his precise requirements (Look at Grealish too) and most need a fair ‘integration’ spell

Dont get me wrong , I’m not saying Man City would be mad not to swoop , and it would be a big challenge to any player , and would be to Alex Scott

Its a bit , you are gold , can you reach platinum, and not all players , even good ones would cope

Alex Scott ?  looking at his attitude , his technical ability , his football intelligence  ..... I actually think he’d thrive and find another level again 

He showed at the Euros that he was completely at home with that standard and his teammates , many Premier League U23s, and at times , looked the conductor

Its probably unlikely to happen but I’d love to see him in a Pep side

Just my opinion

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Much maligned by some of our fans ,however I thought he was excellent Wednesday & today . Very good positionally , broke up play with some intelligent passing . Give Scott licence to play his natural game as well. Top pro that we’re lucky to have , on & off the pitch . 

Totally agree, Like any player needs a run of games to pick up form.People that have slated him really have not seen him play quality at Leicester and quality at Barnsley,He has the experience and that's only good for Scott to play alongside.Ive no doubts he has a big part to play in this squad put it this way he wouldn't be here if Pearson thought otherwise.

13 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Too many notice the things that go wrong, and don't appreciate how much we have become a "Team" over the last eighteen months. Football is exactly the same as any other company in that they need to teach, encourage, pass on information from the elders to the young ones. It doesn't mean that all young ones will make the grade but gives them a fighting chance.

We had forgotten all of this while we were being managed by the clowns.

• Like 1