IGNORED

Trains

Markman

Ripe old age of 60 now - as is Mrs Markman

Rail Card for over 60s - is it worth it - I would use twixt Weston and Bristol for Footie and Concerts and the odd day trips out as an old couple (:laugh:)

Do we need a card each - I see there is a "couples" thing where the best deal comes if you travel together - anyone got a recommendation?

Cheers

• Like 1

If you are likely to always travel with Mrs M then the two together card probably works out best value. However if you will do some journeys apart get a senior card each.

Yes they are good value, you can often make the money back with one trip.

Tip, if you collect Tesco Clubcard points you can spend them on railcards, getting a third off, so you only need a tenners worth of points to buy a card, absolute bargain. They are occasionally on sale through the railcard site too.

I’m dreading being 60 in less than two years but that is one bonus I am looking forward too, especially on away trips where it can save me the £30 in one go. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Markman said:

Ripe old age of 60 now - as is Mrs Markman

Rail Card for over 60s - is it worth it - I would use twixt Weston and Bristol for Footie and Concerts and the odd day trips out as an old couple (:laugh:)

Do we need a card each - I see there is a "couples" thing where the best deal comes if you travel together - anyone got a recommendation?

Cheers

Well worth it mate 

• Like 1

On 04/09/2022 at 12:18, Markman said:

Ripe old age of 60 now

I've just 'won promotion' to that division too. It depresses me that I am now elligible for a railcard and discounts at the garden centres.

After being stung for a missed connection from Paddington I vowed never to use trains again, although a decent reduction in the fares might just help. Do they work at any times, any routes or restricted to outside the rush hours?

On 05/09/2022 at 20:40, Erithacus said:

I've just 'won promotion' to that division too. It depresses me that I am now elligible for a railcard and discounts at the garden centres.

After being stung for a missed connection from Paddington I vowed never to use trains again, although a decent reduction in the fares might just help. Do they work at any times, any routes or restricted to outside the rush hours?

You can’t use them in morning rush our, weekdays.

Times for this vary depending on train and station but trains after 9am are fine and often after 8.30. Just add a railcard to your search on the app or website and you’ll see morning prices suddenly cheaper.

Remember to use a Split Ticketing website to save money, especially on longer journeys and Seat Frog app for cheap upgrades to 1st class, especially on GWR